[Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club - Page 1067 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #10661 of 13132 Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hmm it doesnt matter if i put both cards in the CF lane (#1 and #3)
Of if i keep the 6950 in the CF lane (#1) and put the 460 in the Hydra lane (2,4 or 5).
Or if i put both cards in the hydra lane....

i allways install the card, remove hydra, reboot, install hydra, reboot, after each time i move a card...

How exactly are you supposed to make xmode work properly?

If i put the display in the 460 i can set it to do physx, but as soon as i change back to the 6950 it looses it (from GPU-z).
Do i really haveto use the 460 as a primary and the new expensive card as a secondary card? :S

Or should i just forget about the 460, (perhaps buying it off him) and get another card (5xx or another 6xxx) later? Or might it work better with my gtx280?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10662 of 13132 Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Mobo Master

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallebull View Post
Hmm it doesnt matter if i put both cards in the CF lane (#1 and #3)
Of if i keep the 6950 in the CF lane (#1) and put the 460 in the Hydra lane (2,4 or 5).
Or if i put both cards in the hydra lane....

i allways install the card, remove hydra, reboot, install hydra, reboot, after each time i move a card...

How exactly are you supposed to make xmode work properly?

If i put the display in the 460 i can set it to do physx, but as soon as i change back to the 6950 it looses it (from GPU-z).
Do i really haveto use the 460 as a primary and the new expensive card as a secondary card? :S

Or should i just forget about the 460, (perhaps buying it off him) and get another card (5xx or another 6xxx) later? Or might it work better with my gtx280?
Check the 2nd post of this thread, charts there indicate your combo of cards are "predicted to work", not verified or Lucid approved.
post #10663 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHawker;14443354 
Check the 2nd post of this thread, charts there indicate your combo of cards are "predicted to work", not verified or Lucid approved.

Idd, but none of hte newer ards is approved or verified... frown.gif It feels like i'm missing something :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10664 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Commodore 64

Everyting tells me that it is working, hydra is enabled, ans i got hydra 200 in device manager, i get the logo and the bar (how far does the bar do up for others?)
Both cards works as they should (i can find them in device manager) but not together :S
post #10665 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Liked: 16
I have Crosshair IV and a Crosshair V board and am running Win 7 64 bit with an Intel X25M 80 GB SSD on each.

As I think we all know, only the optical drive and the SSD should be connected when installing the OS/Programs on the SSD. And the SSD should of course be connected to SATA 1 on the board with AHCI enabled in the BIOS.

All that was done of course. After all the programs were installed, I connected the other Western Digital Hard Drives (5 TB) and now in Disk Management, my SSD is no longer on Disk 0. In fact, there seems to be no "order" to the drives in Disk Management.

There is no performance problem - at all - here, but this seeming chaos bothers me and may become a problem down the road. I dunno.

I see this problem has been Googled to death and is dealt with elsewhere on the net, but then those folks responding are not as reliable as the guys here on OCN.

post #10666 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 86
@ ICG... When I set up my RAID 0 drives I used SATA 1 & 2. When I went to boot up on them, I had to go back into BIOS and rearrange the order that the BIOS uses to look for the drive with the OS on it to boot from. Otherwise, I would get a "No bootable disk found message".

My RAID drives (the ones with the OS) were listed second. My "back up" drive (installed as an IDE drive in BIOS) was listed as the first bootable drive. I then rearranged the order inside of BIOS and all was fine from there on. I only have to re-do this procedure whenever I clear CMOS or use the "Load Default Settings" within the BIOS.

Is this what you are referring to?

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif
Validation - Updated as of 4/21/12
post #10667 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablegeek View Post
I have Crosshair IV and a Crosshair V board and am running Win 7 64 bit with an Intel X25M 80 GB SSD on each.

As I think we all know, only the optical drive and the SSD should be connected when installing the OS/Programs on the SSD. And the SSD should of course be connected to SATA 1 on the board with AHCI enabled in the BIOS.

All that was done of course. After all the programs were installed, I connected the other Western Digital Hard Drives (5 TB) and now in Disk Management, my SSD is no longer on Disk 0. In fact, there seems to be no "order" to the drives in Disk Management.

There is no performance problem - at all - here, but this seeming chaos bothers me and may become a problem down the road. I dunno.

I see this problem has been Googled to death and is dealt with elsewhere on the net, but then those folks responding are not as reliable as the guys here on OCN.
so is it the board sata ports or is it a windows thing? I was thinking of building a CH-V as well as my SaberTooth (which the ST has no probs there) I would like to hear more on this so I am not walking into a problem
post #10668 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablegeek View Post

I've got a very similar set-up, (see sig) and as you have done:

SATA 1-SSD
SATA 2/3-WD ITB RAID 0
SATA 4 - SAMSUNG 1TB

All the above are AHCI and optical is sata 5 IDE.

In management I get this:

Microsofts support on this issue

No issues so far everything runs great I expect yours will too.

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula/Extreme Club

Xbox Gamertag: I am Longtime

Origin ID: iamlongtime

My dad says: Dont ASSUME it makes an ass out of u and me!! (oh and looking in a manual makes you a fanny!)
post #10669 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Re "Am I using Raid?", all I can say is "no, I don't know too much about RAID other than it can be pretty useful ridding the house of those pesky critters." Sorry to be so lowbrow.

Quote:
I had to go back into BIOS and rearrange the order that the BIOS uses to look for the drive with the OS on it to boot from.
Seems to me I recall this way back (a couple of months ago ) in my reading. I'll check that first and get back with you fellows this evening.

Those of you voicing similar concerns, please rest easy. My OCD will not allow me to rest until I get a "for sure" answer.

Special thanks to the UK for that link (iamlongtime); very helpful.

post #10670 of 13132 Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I've got a very similar set-up, (see sig) and as you have done:

SATA 1-SSD
SATA 2/3-WD ITB RAID 0
SATA 4 - SAMSUNG 1TB

All the above are AHCI and optical is sata 5 IDE.
My exceptions (possible exceptions) are:

1) I disabled the JMicron. If you ask me why, I will tell you to kindly data mine my archives (my memory). All I know is that in all my reading and especially in my meticulous following of Magic-Man's sage advice in his SSD thread, the JMicron is a bit "problematic".

How to do so: Go to BIOS, Then Advanced, then Disable the OnBoard Sata controller. That will disable the troublesome JMicron, which of course I Do Not Use.

2) I also have a SATA expansion card on which I have connected 2 optical drives, 1 WD HD, and the chassis SATA port (which I never use).

3) Every SATA port is set to AHCI (has not been a problem for the opticals)

4) Both my computers were set up correctly as per my prior post, i.e. Connect Only the SSD and 1 Optical Drive so that the OS/Programs have nowhere else to go except the SSD. That avoids the confusion of needing to choose the directory for programs to install.

Note: If you are a gamer (I am not), then you will notice ZERO improvement in loading your games on an SSD!

5) The SSD and HD's are nicely in order in the BIOS.

6) Have a look at the chaos in Disk Management however (see attached)

Conclusion: I must agree with
Quote:
Microsofts support on this issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251

No issues so far everything runs great I expect yours will too.
All in all a Huge Thank You to iamlongtime for pointing up that this is a MSFUP and that if everything is set up nicely in the BIOS, there is no need to sweat what we see in Disk Management.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page