[Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club - Page 1116 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11151 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Hardline upgrade!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I had 9 standoffs in their right spots but I had one extra in Micro ATX spot and it was behind my RAM slots causing the traces to cross over to an ungrounded location because there isn't a mounting hole in the RAM slots. That's how it happened. I accounted for the other 9 spots but that 10th spot I didn't notice til it was too late and caused me BSODs'.

I would also look at rear I/O panel and check to see if there is more space to the Left side of every 3.5 jack. If there is you might need to take fiberglass washers and put them under the standoffs to raise the board off the tray a little. I had to do that with my 932. I used 2 washers per standoff. The reason why could be nothing more than your GPU not getting a complete connection in the PCI-e slot, GPU heats up and crashes system.

I wish I was on my system right now so I could check out my Blue Screen View BSOD definitions chart. But I'm out at my Mom's right now so it's not handy since I don't have the website information. You might look it up on Google to check out the event on their site.

~Ceadder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11152 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Hi guys,

My first post for this site, had my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula for 9 months now. All was working fine up until about a week ago. Got up one morning and the PC won't post. It would switch off after about half a second. After a few attempts I took the case apart and noticed a burnt smell. I localised it to a small component next to the bottom pcie_x4_4 slot at the bottom of the board.
Immediatly I phoned up and emailed all this information the ASUS service centre in France where I live. All I got was BS, phone here, do this, do that. Basically they fobbed me off. Im going to repair the board myself.

I've been working with electronics as a hobby for over 10 years. I'm more that capoable of changing the component myself, but i'm unsure of its name and function. I found a 2nd component exactly the same as the one indicated. It's behind the optical audio output. on it, is written "P 150.24". Funnily enough, the burnt out component sits right next to an SPDIF array of pins. So maybe its an audio related issue.

My setup composes of:-

ASUS Crosshair IV FORMULA
G.Skill 2 x 4GB 10666
Saphire 5750 ATi Graphics Card
ASUS Xonar STX sound card

If anybody could help me identify the component and/or tell me why the problem occured I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks guys

Matt
post #11153 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBSlimz;15187817 
I localised it to a small component next to the bottom pcie_x4_4 slot at the bottom of the board.

I've been working with electronics as a hobby for over 10 years. I'm more that capoable of changing the component myself, but i'm unsure of its name and function.

I do believe it is either a Capacitor, or a Resistor, and the number you listed, is correct...try doing a Google search for that component

[ AMD 4GHz Club ]-[ OCN DubStep Fanatics! ]
[ The IT-Crew ]
[ EOC Stats ]-[ Live HFM Stats ]
[ Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4.20GHz ]-[ Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.518GHz ]

For Great Justice... (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote In Every Sig! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
I have had far more siggable quotes, and my response to all of them has been the same. Stop sigging me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine
Philistine: hey it works!
[OCN]-Mr.Steve: ctrl+w is another great one too!
Philistine left chat.
[OCN]-Mr.Steve: LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11154 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
4.0 GHz

I'm having a simple problem. I just upgraded to IV Formula and got a new gfx card too. I'm using the same processor but I'm getting about 20% less points in 3DMark11 physics and combined tests. I've overclocked my CPU from 3.0 to 3.6 and increased the voltage up to 1.48, FSB at 240MHz and RAM at 1600MHz. Those are the same settings I had on my earlier cheap Asus board. My graphics card is doing better job than the earlier at least...

post #11155 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 35
Jiia what is your HT link freq @? also CPU/NB freq's?

[ AMD 4GHz Club ]-[ OCN DubStep Fanatics! ]
[ The IT-Crew ]
[ EOC Stats ]-[ Live HFM Stats ]
[ Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4.20GHz ]-[ Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.518GHz ]

For Great Justice... (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote In Every Sig! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
I have had far more siggable quotes, and my response to all of them has been the same. Stop sigging me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine
Philistine: hey it works!
[OCN]-Mr.Steve: ctrl+w is another great one too!
Philistine left chat.
[OCN]-Mr.Steve: LOL

post #11156 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
4.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Steve View Post
Jiia what is your HT link freq @? also CPU/NB freq's?
I left them on auto because I didn't know what their values should be... CPU-Z seems to say HT link is 1926MHz. There are so many options in the BIOS that I'm confused

post #11157 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Mobo Master

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBSlimz View Post
Hi guys,

If anybody could help me identify the component and/or tell me why the problem occured I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks guys

Matt
The only other component that looks the same is near the rear I/O next to the 1394a connector area, this one is near the internal I/O connector for 1394a. Do you use that connector? It looks like a unique device and I could only guess at what it is. It looks like it has double solder connections at either end as well.

The other option is audio, as you guessed, the rear I/O one is near the digital optical out, and this one is near the S/PDIF internal I/O connection. Have you had any sound issues of late? New speakers/receiver hooked to the digital out?

post #11158 of 13132 Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
5.1ghz

Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiia View Post
I'm having a simple problem. I just upgraded to IV Formula and got a new gfx card too. I'm using the same processor but I'm getting about 20% less points in 3DMark11 physics and combined tests. I've overclocked my CPU from 3.0 to 3.6 and increased the voltage up to 1.48, FSB at 240MHz and RAM at 1600MHz. Those are the same settings I had on my earlier cheap Asus board. My graphics card is doing better job than the earlier at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiia View Post
I left them on auto because I didn't know what their values should be... CPU-Z seems to say HT link is 1926MHz. There are so many options in the BIOS that I'm confused

1st. Realize, with a Crosshair you'll usually find you wont need as much voltage as with other mobo's. It may pay to redo your OC and see how little voltage it really needs, thus allowing lower temps and possibly a higher OC.

2nd. For HT Link Speed (it's called exactly that in bios under Extreme Tweaker tab) and should kept at 2000MHz +/- 100MHz.

The NB Freq (CPU/NB Freq in bios) should be as high as possible 2600-2800MHz. This alone will let you feel/see some results. To stabilize a higher NB Freq you'd add CPU/NB Voltage. Start by manually entering 1.225 for CPU/NB Voltage, Then simply increase the freq and test with prime95 on blend. If prime95 fails with a "worker has failed" error it's usually a lack of CPU/NB voltage (or Dram voltage). Max safe CPU/NB voltage on your chip I believe is 1.4v (might be as high as 1.5v). Should be an easy one to research or perhaps another member will chime in.

I do have a CHIV basic Bios Guide that may help explain some of the features in the bios and also help with OCing stability. If your interested just PM me.
Jiia likes this.
post #11159 of 13132 Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Steve;15190816 
I do believe it is either a Capacitor, or a Resistor, and the number you listed, is correct...try doing a Google search for that component

I looked everywhere on google for it, no outcome. confused.gif
post #11160 of 13132 Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Commodore 64

No sound issues, I was using an ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX card with the motherboard. So on-board sound was disabled.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page