post #541 of 1623 Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by darivo;13897902 
very good discussion here.

Can we say that all designs are 'obsolete', except the new ASUS LLC?
Asus, Gigabyte, ECS, Foxconn, AsRock, & Biostar all have LLC.

It's not a new invention. It just depends on the Board/BIOS if they include it or not.

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1623 Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 AM

Liked: 99
Added my Foxcon Destroyer to the GoogleDocs list.... could not find much info on it. :/

DOES have 8-phase though....8+1 or 8+2 though, is anyone's guess. :/

thumb.gif YOU thar... with the expensive hardwarez..... YOU SHOULD BE FOLDING FOR A CURE!!!! |XPD's HFM Stats| thumb.gif
|"Teneo Vestri" ~☼~ "Know Thyself"|I usually try to say something humorous or helpful unless inebriated in some way. Feel free to PM me about anything. wink.gif| I fold now and as long as I can, for SYRILLIAN.|This. (Click to show)
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquejunky go_quote.gif

Good taste is subjective, bad taste is universal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDProb go_quote.gif

welcome to ocn, your computer will love you, your wallet will hate you, and your family will miss you

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #543 of 1623 Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 AM

Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPD541;13948084 
Added my Foxcon Destroyer to the GoogleDocs list.... could not find much info on it. :/

DOES have 8-phase though....8+1 or 8+2 though, is anyone's guess. :/
It's only 4+1, but it can handle 140w TDP chips without fail

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1623 Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
#rekt

Liked: 523
I think i already had it on the sheet

"When you are attacked in a vicious way for no reason, and you are doing this on your own time, you start to ask "why bother"?" -John Fruehe

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #545 of 1623 Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Programmer

Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by darivo;13897902 
very good discussion here.

Can we say that all designs are 'obsolete', except the new ASUS LLC?

Actually, the ASUS LLC has a drawback - it causes voltage flugtuations.
post #546 of 1623 Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 183
Any of you kind people mind shedding some light into this for me at all?

Took a snap of my Mobo, the NIKOS are just above the Southbridge, the others that I have no idea what company are from, are just above the MOSFET cooler in the VRM, I'm assuming these are the ones for the RAM?

Now I'm pretty sure in my research, have seen these same Transistors under the MOSFET heatsink on either my Mobo, or a similar one that Reflex said was similar (NF980?).
I've also heard of MSI using NIKOS on unimportant area's and other ones for the important area's.
I have Version 1.2 of the Mobo, and I was hoping that meant something, Tator previously stated his one ran NIKOS, but I wanted to dig a little. tongue.gif

I'd take off the heatsink and check first-hand, but I dunno what to replace the thermal strip with. :S
(any pointers to that would be appreciated)
post #547 of 1623 Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027
NIKOS can be fine when used on unimportant areas. On many of the lower-end boards (i.e. anything that is not DrMOS) NIKOS is used on the CPU VRMs, this is very dangerous.
I think if it's a thermal pad connecting the VRM heatsink, it can be reused. Might want to clarify at Air Cooling forums though.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #548 of 1623 Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;13969479 
NIKOS can be fine when used on unimportant areas. On many of the lower-end boards (i.e. anything that is not DrMOS) NIKOS is used on the CPU VRMs, this is very dangerous.
I think if it's a thermal pad connecting the VRM heatsink, it can be reused. Might want to clarify at Air Cooling forums though.

Do you know who (ON) are? I can't seem to find any information on them or specs.
I know I won't know for certain what MOSFET's supplying the CPU power are until I remove the HS, but I've seen this same (ON) MOSFET layout under the VRM HS when I was trying to find out more about my board, I didn't bookmark the page for some reason, but someone had stripped the HS and it had these all there, can't confirm if it was my Mobo or one that was sharing the same layout.

Seeing as they're used in the +1 phase, would it be safe to assume they could possibly be supplying the CPU power aswell?
I've only read of ON being used a Driver MOSFET here: -http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/959289-cpu-vrm-mosfets-transistor-discussion.html (7th paragraph down).

I'm slowly trying to learn more about MOSFET's, as it's intrigues me greatly, and they are an extremely important part of the system, by all accounts.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I'm trying to find out more. tongue.gif

Thanks for the reply so far. smile.gif

EDIT:- Okay, when I Googled "ON Semiconductor", I didn't get anything apart from things with "on" in it, lol. Just found them via datasheetcatalog.net, (previous searches for top semiconductor companies didn't go well finding this one, lol)

The only numbers on the MOSFET's are 933, 48 and 0ENG or OENG. Trying to find out more, but I don't really seem to be getting anywhere with what's imprinted.
post #549 of 1623 Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027
That "+1" phase supplies the power to the integrated memory controller, not the CPU.

I think "(ON)" mosfets simply refer to the traditional type of MOSFET chip and transistor supply/clean design, i.e. (ON) MOSFETs as contrasted to Driver MOSFETs. I'm not entirely sure though.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #550 of 1623 Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
That "+1" phase supplies the power to the integrated memory controller, not the CPU.

I think "(ON)" mosfets simply refer to the traditional type of MOSFET chip and transistor supply/clean design, i.e. (ON) MOSFETs as contrasted to Driver MOSFETs. I'm not entirely sure though.
Yeah I wasn't ever sure if the "+" phases supplied power to the IMC itself or if it went to the DIMM's in some stupidly long way, seems I read something that threw me off the IMC for some reason, thanks for clearing that up.

I saw something about RDS(on) chips tonight aswell, and the different types of MOSFETs (much more to it than I realised).
I can't find any part numbers within ON Semiconductors listings that correlate to the ones in the left picture. Flipping it upside-down, I seem to make "09NQ" possibly, but I'm closing in on a huge wall of tired right now.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page