GPU Always Overheating - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Why not just reseat the heatsink and give it a proper clean while it's off?

Would probably solve the problem. surprised nobody is mentioning this first, instead of making the OP chase things like case airflow and suchlike.

Stay outta my shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoKills22 View Post

in my afterburner its blank for core voltage and shader clock for some reason

you need to run kombuster to see voltage in there. it will be on the right hand top side as the bottom stat.

post #43 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyriffic View Post

i mean while you arent playing games.
if there doesn't seem to be a load then 1 or more of these would be my assumption.
1.) pc doesn't have enough air flow. could be caused by filters being clogged, not enough fans or fans not configured for good air direction.
2.) the heatsink on the gpu is clogged with dust. even though you blew out the card, the fan doesn't have a straight threw channel to only the heatsink so the air could have went around the cooler. i don't know how yours looks, mine has a full cover with single turbine like fan at the back, if mine was clogged up i wouldn't know unless i took off the case of it.
3.) card is going bad (like indulgence said)
4.) psu putting out the wrong voltage to the card (like indulgence is pointing to, you would need a voltage meter/multimeter to check)
5.) the heatsink is no longer making good contact with the gpu.
if it were me, i would take out the card, remove the casing, heatsink, and clean all the parts.
heatsink i would take to the sink and scrub down with water and a plastic wire brush.
remove any thermal compound from the gpu and heatsink. (quickest way to remove old thermal compound is a hair dryer and q-tips)
after all that is done and everything is clean, i would toss some new thermal compound on the heatsink, make sure i had a nice strong contact between the gpu and heatsink. then slap it all back together and see if the temps have dropped.
as for putting on the new thermal compound, i dont do the dot and let it push out. i take a plastic bag and spread it over the chip. this way i know there will not be any areas not covered.
dont think anyone asked this but what is the ambient temp of your house?
1) pc has great airflow really cool inside
2) i doubt it clogged, its the same shape as yours which i find was an odd design choice, seems like it just traps heat, but i spent a full can of air blowing in literally every nook and cranny i could find on the card.
3)i sure hope not, its the best card iv ever had
4)i will look into that now
5) that is something i was thinking about for awhile, can i take off the case with the fan still attached? im just worried that i will mess something up by taking it apart

B-Unit wrote :

Although the CPU's are compatible between AM2/AM2+, the additional character rendered all coolers incompatible. Fortunately, AMD engineers found a workaround, if you simply draw a '+' on your cooler with a sharpie, it will now fit the new AM2+ socket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 136
Quote:

5) that is something i was thinking about for awhile, can i take off the case with the fan still attached? im just worried that i will mess something up by taking it apart

In my experience, GPU's tend to get hot pretty quickly because the fans that run on them are powerful, so require cleaning more regularly. It's not unusual to have to reseat them often too, and besides, taking them off makes cleaning them easier.

I'd bet that this is just a case of the GPU's heatsink needing a reseat and a good clean.

Stay outta my shed
post #45 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post

In my experience, GPU's tend to get hot pretty quickly because the fans that run on them are powerful, so require cleaning more regularly. It's not unusual to have to reseat them often too, and besides, taking them off makes cleaning them easier.
I'd bet that this is just a case of the GPU's heatsink needing a reseat and a good clean.

told him to mx-4 it earlier lol and new thermal pads

Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

post #46 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Case Modder

Quote:

found this youtube video of it taken apart to show you how it looks when you disassemble it.
depending on the current quality of the ram thermal pads, you might have to replace them.

here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2QUTiY7YCg

post #47 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post

Agreed! You may be surprised at what you will find when you pull the heatsink off. Even if you had used canned air. When it's hot and humid dust will stick to stuff like glue.

nVidia Surround Gaming

I live in the Home of the free because of the brave! thumb.gif
post #48 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Case Modder

found another video, of taking a graphics card apart so you can see the heatsink and all that. low lighting and i wouldn't take each screw out one by one like he did.
loosen the screws a little bit for each till they don't have tention. to put it back on do the same thing only the other way around, like a cpu heatsink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpYnzP5uqU

post #49 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 137
It's %80 tim %20 Dust. The thermal paste between the heatsink and the gpu is probably cooked. Last time I checked, GPUs really like AS5, not the regular TIM like Noctua's. If it's not under warranty, read online guides or watch youtube videos and go for it. Generally temps will be better than before.

This cat scratches free.

**The Official Intel Core i5-2500K/i5-2550k/i7-2600K/i7-2700K Owners Club**
Windows 10 Pro x64
IN - Sapphire AMD 280x 3GB TRI-X OC (Non-Boost) 1020/1500(6000)
Out - AMD Radeon HD 6850/6870 Owners Thread

post #50 of 123 Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 59
Your case either does not have decent airflow (if this was true then your cpu would run hot as well), or you need to re-seat your GPU heatsink. Take the heatsink off and reapply thermal paste and see if that helps.

Running crossfire, depending on your motherboard, could greatly increase the heat. If the motherboard does not provide proper spacing it will limit the amount of air to the cards.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page