Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
ЖГЖП

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello OCN:)

Here's the situation: My little sister is a senior in high school, and a very talented artist. She has thus far done most of her work on traditional media, i.e. canvas, paper, etc. however, she also does a lot of digital stuff, using photoshop elements and a few free programs. She hasn't gotten in to video editing yet, but it's the next logical step. But here we run into a problem - her work is done on the family computer, which is a several year old Best Buy special type deal. Originally, it had a 939 chip, but my dad replaced it with an AM3 board and an athlon x2 250 about a year and a half ago. So, all her digital work is, um... very slow. Which brings us back to the build:)

So basically, I intend to help her build a computer. I am not intending this to be an "upgradeable" build, I am looking solely for max performance per $$ right now. How am I going to achieve this? The OCN marketplace, and recycling parts of my rig that I am upgrading. Of course, I don't have enough rep to post, but I'll do what I can. I will be checking the marketplace multiple times each day, probably up until a week and a half before christmas, to allow for shipping time. I will be waiting to buy things until I see a very good deal, and doing my purchasing from now, up until my deadline.

Requirements: (very important!)

• Most media editing horsepower/$$
  • Be able to play Skyrim, at least on medium settings/30FPS/1080p
  • $400 budget:eek:

Parts List/source

Notes on parts - Most of these will be purchased on the OCN marketplace, so what I choose is based on availability more than anything. Furthermore, some things are dependent on each other, for instance if I were to choose an i7-920, I would need a tri-channel RAM kit.

Regarding pricing - PLEASE tell me if you know of a cheaper way to get any given part. Also tell me if you think my expectations as far as pricing are off. And definitely suggest to me any and all ideas, even if I may have said specifically that I'm not interested in w/e you might be suggesting. Again please tell me all your suggestions and ideas; I need all the help I can get to make this happen.

CPU - Right now I'm hoping I can get in to socket 1156. I saw i7-920's for as low as $140, so does that mean I could get one of the 1156 i7s (an 860?) for even less? If not I should definitely be able to find an i5-750/760 for not too much. I remember seeing one thread for an i5-760 for $120. Also, I am open to looking at Thuban x6's, although I doubt they will be as much performance/$ as a used previous generation i5/i7. Over all, my hopes are to find an i7-920 for $140, or an i7-860 for $130 or so. But I have not seen a single 1156 i7 for sale... just that one i5-760. Bought an i5-750

Motherboard - Totally not sure. Something reliable. Doesn't need USB 3, SATA 3, more than one x16 slot, or really anything fancy. I would prefer Asus or Gigabyte, but I'm open to ideas. I'm reasonably familiar with AM3 boards, but not at all with 1156 or 775 stuff. I will be OCing this rig, but only a small one. something the 'sink I have listed can handle 24/7 on a hot day. Bought an Asus P7P55D Deluxe

RAM - Cheap. RAM is not the best place to put extra money if you are strictly looking at performance/$, which I am. I am looking for a minimum of 1333Mhz CL9, and 4/6GB of it, in 2/3 DIMMs.

Cooling - Xigmatek Gaia. From my Sig Rig, it's will be replaced with something better.

Graphics - Something that can handle Skyrim at medium settings, 30FPS/1080p. I'm thinking about the lightest I want to go would be a GTS 450. What do you guys think of these?

I'm liking the 5830 personally. Not too sure about buying something as old as a 9800GX2; or about it's power consumption.

PSU - The Silverstone 400W in my Sig Rig, it's being replaced with an HX750 purchased from Hoth17.

Optical Drive - I guess I'll buy it new, they are only $20 anyways, and no one really sells used ones.

HDD - I have a toshiba 200GB 2.5'' sitting in my rig with a copy of Vista 32 bit on it. I will format this and throw it in. I know that sucks really bad, and that she will need to upgrade, but it is functional and will suffice. Additionally, HDD prices are sky high right now. It's formatted, sitting in a box next to the SSD now.

SSD - $400 rig with an SSD:yessir: lol, Shes getting the 64GB ADATA model in my sig rig. It's really slow, but still way faster than any HDD in 4k times. It's formatted and in a box next to the HDD.

Display - None. I know that's cheap lol, but she has a part time job and several hundred burning a hole in her pocket.

Case - none. I will be upgrading to an M8 at some point... maybe around February? And an open build isn't so bad... My rig sat open for a week while my case was in the mail.

OS - I may leave Vista on the HDD to give her the option of using that until she buys a copy of 7, which she can get for $43, via a student discount. (that's how I got mine, so I know it works)

Mouse - I think there is a mouse sitting next to a CRT and K6-500 box in the attic. Which I happen to know works. I'm also leaving this one up to her, although if she waits long enough, I will eventually upgrade my 4/5 year old Razor Deathadder.

Keyboard - I have a $25 functional cheapo that will be included.

Internet - I guess I'll buy this new as well. The USB device I'm using right now was $20 on Newegg, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Applicable parts:

CPU - i5-750 $115
Motherboard - P7P55D $100
RAM - ~$25
Cooling - Owned Xigmatek Gaia
Graphics - ~$85 HD (5770, GTS 450, 5830, 768MB)
PSU - Owned Silverstone 400W
Optical Drive - ~$20
HDD - Owned Toshiba 200GB 2.5"
SSD - Owned ADATA S592 64GB
Internet - ~$20

Total - ~$365

Your turn! tell me what you think.

wheee.gif Kpop! Yay! wheee.gif
"Lock horns, I push, and I strive. Somehow I feel more alive"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Programmer

Liked: 174
looks good i would say try and snag a sandy bridge system tho the archetecture will greatly improve rendering

I am Dyslexi-OC if i make a typo just deal with it lol

post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
ЖГЖП

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions;15577531 
looks good i would say try and snag a sandy bridge system tho the archetecture will greatly improve rendering

Yes, Sandy Bridge would rock. But it's just too expensive. I saw an i5-2300 for $155, and that's for the lowest LOCKED 4 core.

But I have something else to ask:) What do you guys think about this deal? It's and i5-750 for $130 and an Asus P7P55D Deluxe motherboard for $100. Given that I have seen i7-920s for as little as $125 (granted they sell fast), I don't think I'll give him $130 for the chip. Also Newegg currently has an (open box) updated version of that board for $112 that features USB 3 and SATA 3. Anyways, here's the thread. http://www.overclock.net/main-components/1160573-i5-750-asus-p55-mobo.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM
RAM Fan

Liked: 65
the mobo yes..you can prob find a cpu if you look around hard enough..

To bad my memory is specific for amd systems lol...

Only things ill prob have left here shortly is my motherboard, ram and PSU
which one is you already have psu
one is to much for memory(but is at 1800 dual channel at cl9 and cheaper as 8gb kit then what they are selling them for on new egg at 4gb kit lol alot cheaper)
and last is the mobo, its amd ready for overclocking but has minor volt meter blown..filled with non conductive epoxy fo safety purposes...but it overclocks and handles amazingly...had a 1090t in it..

But
back to you and your sister...
Go with that mobo and find a different chip..biggrin.gif

Have fun with this build

post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
ЖГЖП

Ok, bought a CPU and motherboard. Updated first post. Would I want to pay another $5-$10 for better RAM, due to the fact that the i5-750 is OC'd by upping the ref clock? Or should I just get whatever is cheapest and get whatever OC I can get with it?

post #6 of 9 Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Programmer

get good ram... alot of people chinse out on ram and it boggs them down

ps i live your avatar wink.gif

post #7 of 9 Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
ЖГЖП

you a T.A.T.U. fan?

post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Programmer

maybe wink.gif

post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
ЖГЖП

Bought a GTX 460 768MB DirectCu TOP edition. I know I could have done better in terms of performance/$ but I can give this a nice OC for some boints before I put it in her rig, and it folds much better than a 5770. Also only paid $115 for it. Between this and the i5, she should have pretty decent PPD tongue.gif maybe 18-20k PPD?

Also hittin up the 'egg for a DVD drive and a wireless device.

EDIT: 300th post yessir.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page