Battle of the bargain basement rigs - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 155
For the last month or so I've been talking about rebuilding my media rig (nintendo, TV tuner, jukebox) but just never got around to it. I was always looking for deals on either used or open box gear and even when I'd find something I liked, I would say to myself; for only $XX more you could have.....

This forever prolonged me actually making a decision and and parts I did have just layed in neglect.

Last week I realized I had to just bite the bullet and get it finished but I still couldn't decide what I wanted, so in a moment of gluttony I ordered my top 2 choices for most of the compoents I still needed to purchase. And so it began....

I had made the decision to build two computers, test them out, keep one, and sell the other.

Components for reuse from previous build:
ASUS P5LD2
Enermax Liberty 500w
Aspire X-Dreamer case
Freezer 7 Pro

Components I purchased:
1g Geil Ultra DDR2 667 (2x512)
1g AMPX DDR2 667
WD 250g SATA HD
Samsung 160g IDE HD
(2) Lite On DVD-RW Drives
Gigabyte S3 motherboard
One cheap case with 480w PSU
Pentium D 805
Celeron D 356
Freezer 7 Pro
ATI X850XT
ATI X1300XT
Win XP Home (Have to stay legal)

TOTAL SPENT: $847.89

Rigs were assembled as:

Rigs #1
Pentium D 805
1g Geil Ultra
DVD
160g IDE
Gigabyte S3
X850XT
Enermax PSU
Aspire Case

Rig #2
Celeron D 356
P5LD2
1g AMPX
SATA 250g
DVD
X1300XT
Cheap case and PSU

Tonight I finished getting rig #2 overclocked, and I must say the prelimenary results are pretty shocking. Only have had time so far to do some SuperPi runs but by the end of the week I should have some 3dmark scores.

Results so far:
Rig #1
OC @ 3.8ghz
RAM @ 380mhz (Having issues with dividers in BIOS, still need to update the BIOS)
Temps: 35 Idle, 50 Load, ambient 24 Freezer 7 Pro, one case fan
1.45 vcore in windows

Rig #2
OC @ 5.01ghz
Ram @ 533mhz (Haven't tried 667 yet, and still need to update BIOS)
Temps: 41 idle, 61 Load, ambient 25 Freezer 7 Pro, one case fan
1.48 vcore in Windows

SuperPi 1M Times:

Rig #1 36.25s

Rig #2 31.68s

The SuperPi times blew my mind, everything I had read about these two processors was that the 805 won hands down. I'm sure in 3dmark the 805 will show its superiority but the SuperPi times surprised me. I also think these times will tighten as I figure out what is causing the divider issue on the S3.

What sickens me is that the celeron is only 5 seconds off my best Pentium D 950 time of 26.74, and that was with 2g of G. Skill DDR2 800 on a P5WD2 Premium. Sure, five seconds is a lot, but is noting in comparison to the sub 14 second conroe times I can run now.

I'll post some other bench results as I finish them through the week

20 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

First Update:

And it's not a positive one....

I completed Rig #2 but found out the X850XT for Rig #1 was DOA.....

That put a small damper on things but I did get some SuperPi and 3dmark05 runs done on Rig #2

The results definately surprised me

I ordered a replacement X850XT and RMA'd the other so I should it have it early next week.

Until then I'm going to run SuperPi and 3dmark05 using the X1300XT out of Rig #2. Atleast this way I'll be able to truly compare the benchmarks and establish a baseline difference betweem the X850XT and the new X1300XT.

Should have some more results tomorrow.

post #3 of 20 Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 85
5 Ghz woa baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
:(){ :|:& };:

Liked: 496
Sounds like they're coming along pretty sweet! Hey I have the X1300Xt card and I was wondering if you could post what you modded on the card. I'm getting it in the mail in a few days, and I'd like to know how you achieved such a high 3dmark score. Thanks man

post #5 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Little update - before tonight

X850XT arrived today so I can get back on the horse with getting these benched.

Rig #1 is acting up, showed some signs of instability yesterday during an install of acrobat 7. I had to back the FSB down to 190, may just need some more VCORE but I didn't have time to fool with it last night. (Girlfriend wanted to play WoW and I was in the middle of a CSS tourney)

Once I confirm the X850XT is working as it should I'll run tests with it in both rigs and get the SuperPi and 3dmark05 results of Rig #1 w/ the X1300XT in it.

Binormalkilla - video card is unmodded so far, in fact it's not even overclocked. I was so busy last week I didn't even get a chance to install ATI Tool on either rig. I will this week though. Drivers I used were 6.1, because of an inf error I was getting with other versions. Still need to sort that out. I imagine with some overclocking and getting the newer drivers to work 5k in 3dmark05 is very attainable.

The X1300XT really suprised me as a budget video card. 12 Pipes, decent core and clock speeds, and less than $100.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 134
...just a thought, but isn't 61deg c a little (aka a lot) warm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelabove go_quote.gif
Oh, and were you planning to Use Microsoft SuperGood Home, home premium, ultimate, home semiultimate, fiery, rainbow happiness, for new people, for semi new people, for dumb people, extremely basic, turtleshapped, caveman edition, platinum edition, icy cold grillz edition, fake diamond edition, real diamond edition, or Classic? I was thinking I would put Supergood Turtleshapped or Caveman Edition on my new DX19 rig.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I am Iron Man

Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae804
...just a thought, but isn't 61deg c a little (aka a lot) warm?
I'm pretty sure those Celeron Ds always run what an AMD user would consider extremely hot.

Most who don't understand don't care and most who do understand also don't care.
The only people with a problem are the people who don't understand but still care, but then that's the problem with most topics these days.

post #8 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Can't fly straight and level

Liked: 978
That X1300XT is actually an X1600Pro is disguise, that's why it's so powerful for it's class. It was redesigned as a 7300 killer

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #9 of 20 Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 AM
:(){ :|:& };:

Liked: 496
Hey that's really cool to see that you like the X1300XT for it's price. I posted at guru3d.com and they suggested it at first to replace my POS X300 se card, then after I ordered it they said that this card was a POS...go figure. They are really the only people that have said it's not a good card. I really can't afford to run some freaking hoss cideo card bc I'm in college. BTW, which X1300XT is that (i. e. Sapphire, HIS, etc.), and is it the 256 or 512Mb. I can't wait to get it in the mail and installed! Good luck on your projects.

post #10 of 20 Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Ok, little more data from some very brief testing last night. Unfortunately I didn't get as much done on these as I wanted because my new DD Torture Rack and all my new WC toys arrived, but that will be different build log.....

There must have been a mix up in shipping from newegg because I ordered and X850XT but received an X850XT PE.... not that I'm going to complain though

Anyway, here is Rig #1 with the X1300XT:

As I suspected the 805 beat the celeron in 3dmark05, even with the same video card and slightly slower RAM speed. (For some reason the Gigabyte S3 won't boot with a RAM multiplier over 2.5)

The ironic part is the 805 is slower in SuperPi, which I have to suspect is partly due to the slower ram speed (480 vs 533)

Everything is setup for me to test the X850XT tonight and I also probably start a new build log for the Torture Rack install on my main rig.

Penicilyn - Interesting to know the X1300XT is a rebadged X1600PRO, that makes sense though because these 3mark05 scores are very close to another system I benched using a X1600PRO 512mb with a 940.

Binormalkilla - The X1300XT I have is the 256mb Sapphire version. I still didn't get to OC it last night, I was like a kid at christmas playing with all my new WC gear. About the only things I'm keeping from my current setup is my cpu block and some tubing

If not tonight, certainly by tomorrow I'll get to OC it. Once I test the X850XT though the cards will stay in their respective rigs so the 3dmark05 scores may be lower that what is truly attainable as the Celeron loses ~100 points to the 805 but it still should give you an idea what clocks you can expect.

Also the X1300XT runs suprisingly cool. These rigs only have one exhaust fan each (120mm) and the X1300XT fan only spooled up to 100% twice during
3dmark05 compared to the X850XT I RMA'd which was at 100% constantly. That could have been part of the defect as well though, will have to see tonight.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page