STH10 Build log_ A Water Cooling Noob's diary - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So this is my first water cooled build project. In fact I've never built a PC before, just swapped bits out and upgraded. So it's a daunting task but one I hope will be interesting. Build logs are usually people uploading pics and saying what they're doing etc, but since I am a total noob at building pcs, let alone water cooled ones, I'm kind of hoping people here will add their ideas and point out any issues they can see or anticipate. Would be much appreciated.

The build centres around the STH10, so day one is all about assembling the thing. Here are some images...

A big box

And very well packaged at that

Every single item, big or small, was packaged like this. Pretty impressive.

An overwhelming amount of stuff was in the box. Didn't know where to start. Instructions helped a lot.

Another angle

I started by joining the chassis compartment with upper and lower mid plates

This is what it looked like once both were attached. Couldn't work out how to join the pieces, and then realised the screws were countersunk for a reason...I'm an idiot.

Next up was to attach the rear chassis

And then the top and bottom chassis

Front chassis and cover was next, followed by I/0 panel.

Lovely design for SSD, HDD bays

Now the motherboard backplate. It was a little tricky since it slides out and I had to make sure it was all level. Nothing too stressy, just fiddly.

Closed...

And open

Top cover goes on

All covers

Front door goes on

And protective film comes off (sorry about the focus)

Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow I start on the rad mounts, rads and fans and case fans. Monday the hardware arrives.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 11
Sexy sexy case biggrin.gif Good luck! thumb.gif

Just remember, never hesitate to ask questions if you need help, advice or input, no matter how stupid they may seem. We all had them at one point or another. wink.gif
marbleduck likes this.

post #3 of 79 Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 3
Ill be starting my first water cooling adventure within the next month as well. I am currently considering CaseLabs new SMH10 because I felt like the STH10 may be to massive.
Do you feel like the STH10 is almost to big, or would you recommend one? Im having the hardest time choosing which Caselabs case I want haha.

Im going to be keeping an eye on your build! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

It is certainly big - I guess it depends what you are going to fill it with. The stuff I have bought is nowhere near enough to justify the case at this moment in time, and I'll probably get flamed for buying it and not immediately fill it to brimming point, but I can't afford to run a million things in it at the moment. What I wanted was a case that was good for anything, so I didn't have to buy a new one two years down the line if my spec changed. The build quality is very good and looks like it will last. No plastic involved - all steel. Good luck - do you have a place to actually keep the thing? I have a little shed - well, more a 'summer house' sort of thing, which is where this is going. I couldn't really see it being put in a bedroom! Bigger than the bed.

@ArkAngel. Thank you - people like you are what makes this site so great. Always people here wanting to help and input. I'll keep you posted!

post #5 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Hi chaps. Need a bit of help. Never installed rad mounts before - does this look right to you? Can't work out if they go on the inside or outside of the chassis. Fits both ways.

On a side note, I managed to damage one of the fins on the rad with a screw that was too long. Is that the end of the rad, or will it be OK? Is there a way of leak testing the rad only?

Many thanks

post #6 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 30
Looks good Kropsky. smile.gif

post #7 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Thanks

Just a bit annoyed about damge to the rad...might have to get another one for piece of mind.

post #8 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 78
I really like how CaseLabs gives you the option of saving shipping by sending a dissembled case thumb.gif

post #9 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 29
Is it one of the fins or one of the water channels? If it's just a bent fin your fine. You can hook up your pump to the rad to see if there's any leaking.

post #10 of 79 Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

I can see the fin is bent - actually the screw went through the damn fin. Do they place water channels directly behind the screw hole? For idiots like me it would be a great idea if they could find another way...I'll hook up to pump and res and see of there is leakage..

Yes, caselabs offer to send either like mine or fully assembled (the more expensive option). Have to pax the UK government import tax on this too, so they can pump a few more pounds into our failing banks.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page