cannot wait to see this one finished biggrin.gif

Thanks Loonies, Welcome to the build! party.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post

Love your Case
yes Caselabs have raised the bar for all other manufacturers
and thats a good thing
u doubled up on the caster pics rolleyes.gif

Nice Catch! Fixed that. Thanks for stopping in.
post #23 of 286 Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
First Time Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Update!:

• Performance PC order came in today. Everything was well packed. Great customer service from these guys.
  • My tubing cutter, bitspower fittings (black sparkle), Power adjust 2's, and some other goodies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 286 Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Programmer

Liked: 62
shinies!
subbed smile.gif

post #25 of 286 Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 14
Nice regiment of fitings
good pics
i'm in for the long haul
post #26 of 286 Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
First Time Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyaena View Post

shinies!
subbed smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post

Nice regiment of fitings
good pics
i'm in for the long haul

Hello and welcome to the party. grouphug.gif I'm excited to see how the fittings end up looking with the rest of the build...

UPDATE!:

• Frozencpu order came in
  • Decided to return the EK blocks and go with something different...updates soon...
  • Ran into some issues last night, hopefully everything is ok, pics with descriptions to follow

You can see in this pic that I forgot to install the motherboard I/O shield... I had no idea what was in store for me....

You can see in this pic (below) the padding on the I/O shield. This makes it EXTREMELY difficult to mount the motherboard. You basically have to set the mobo on the standoffs, and push and hold the motherboard in place while fighting about 10 - 15 lbs of lateral force (pushing the i/o components into the i/o shield padding.)

Also, I can image the bottom of the board was rubbing on the standoffs while trying to do this...

I tried everything from taking the back panel off the motherboard tray, which was a terrible idea because those screws aren't really meant to come out. I stripped and had to replace 2 screws. Also, it matters not when you remove the back cover because it attaches to the tray via hinges, and they are impossibbru to put back together with the motherboard installed. So at this point, I actually had to uninstall the mobo again and re-assemble the motherboard tray before re-installing.

Hopefully everything is OK with the motherboard, but I don't see any other way to overcome this aside from maybe purchasing a custom IO shield.

You can also see here if you blow up the picture that the I/O shield bows out a little bit on the back. IMO I really hate Asus, I think they're much more bent on the bottom line than they are quality. Makes me a little sad putting this board in this case, but there really isn't a better option from what I could tell.

I googled it, but it looks like I'm the only one who really had an issue with this. I just can't imagine any other way of doing it though...Was definitely very difficult to install.
post #27 of 286 Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 34

Subscribed. :)

Now, those "issues" sound alarming. Waiting of an update! thumb.gif

Edit: Aw, man... stupid asus. :/

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #28 of 286 Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Aluminum Enthusiast Cases

Liked: 250
It's rare, but some MB manufacturers get a little sloppy with their heat shields. The problem is compounded by the thickness of the newer ones as well has the tight tolerance fit to the on-board connectors. I ran into something similar with an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme board last week. The "trick" is to rock the MB into place aligning it with the heat shield and then laying it down on the stand-offs. A bit of a pain, but if we try to "fix" it, we'll just end it breaking it for everyone else. Our cases are built to the ATX spec (version 2.2). Hopefully ASUS (and others) will eventually get their act together.

www.CaseLabs.net * Email: CS@CaseLabs.net * Follow us on Facebook

*** Made in the U.S.A. ***

post #29 of 286 Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
First Time Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post

Subscribed. smile.gif

Now, those "issues" sound alarming. Waiting of an update! thumb.gif

Edit: Aw, man... stupid asus. :/

I just wish there was someone, anyone, who made a better motherboard. I would ditch asus in a heartbeat. Welcome to the fun BadBull!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Labs View Post

It's rare, but some MB manufacturers get a little sloppy with their heat shields. The problem is compounded by the thickness of the newer ones as well has the tight tolerance fit to the on-board connectors. I ran into something similar with an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme board last week. The "trick" is to rock the MB into place aligning it with the heat shield and then laying it down on the stand-offs. A bit of a pain, but if we try to "fix" it, we'll just end it breaking it for everyone else. Our cases are built to the ATX spec (version 2.2). Hopefully ASUS (and others) will eventually get their act together.

Yea Jim, I did sort of the same thing. I just didn't like that the standoffs were moving around a little bit on the bottom of the mobo while doing the final push to compress the padding on the heat shield. And yea, it's their design that causes the problem. I found 2 other things with the Asus board that really made me feel that I was dealing with a low quality product: Hard to reach the gpu lock latches with card installed, and the way they setup that OC key wire with a little rubber fitting is just ridiculous. I tried for 10 minutes to get that thing in there, and couldn't. Wasted probably 3 hours last night dealing with those issues. wha-smiley.png

Despite the Asus issue, I keep finding little nuances with the caselabs that I really like,. smile.gif
post #30 of 286 Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
First Time Build

UPDATE:

Frozen CPU order came in...

Here are some other pics from last night... The samsung SSD's look perfect in this case to me.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page