2500K build - input greatly appreciated! - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hey guys, whats happenin? Hope everyone who reads is doing well. I am in NY, just got hit by the hurricane, and just got power back this past hour since losing it monday. Go to use my aging PC after the storm today, but its dead. It was a C2D E6420, 8800GT, and 4GB ddr2, that way you have an idea of how old it was.
[/I]
Anyway, I need to get one up and running again, as my laptop recently broke and I need it for school for openoffice, a bit of coding with Notepad++, etc. Its also used for streaming stuff in my house to family members laptops (and my netbook if i can fix it), RARELY some 2/3D autocad, playing stuff on my 720p TV in my room (DVI cable), but primarily GAMING. As you can tell, it really is the component that holds my electronic life together.

Since I am trying to spend as little $ as possible b/c I have to pay them back eventually, I would like to try and spend around ~$600-$800, lower the better. I have a few parts that will still be good, but need a lot new I am trying to use a 2500K b/c microcenter has them right now for 160$. I live very close to a microcenter just in case that matters.

so the 2500K is 160$ right there, leaving ~$500-$600. I'm not sure what are the best bang for buck parts or really any chipsets or anything of the past few months. I'll put what brands i'm partial too, but I will buy any reputable brand that is priced competitively, and honors warranties.

-Mobos; I'm partial to Gigabyte ($100-$150)
-Vid cards, partial to eVGA, but I go to the best "pound for pound" card (trying to spend ~$200)
-SSD, partial to WD (~100$)
-Ram, partial to reliable ram eg kingston

I have a mid sized case which i'll keep (unless stuff wont fit), and a 660W PSU with dual 12V lines. Not trying to water cool, and don't mind stock if i can oc with it.

Hope everyone else is safe
, and not suffering too much from Hurricane Sandy! Really devastated us here in NY, and NJ got it worse. My hearts out to the rest of overclockers living in tri-state. Kudos to any input I get

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I hate portals

Liked: 326
Hope you and all of NY are doing ok.

Gaming on the cheap (but still good):
- Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 around 115$ (or a P67 or Z68 chipset if you get it for less)
- GPU: 7850 180$ or 7870 230$
- SSD: Samsung 830 (or 840) 64GB 70$
- HDD: Seagate 7200rpm 1TB 90$
- Ram: G.skill, Corsair, Samsung 4GBx2 35$
- CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 25$

Didn't link any since you're going to MC and hopefully get better prices thumb.gif

RAIL Does Not Mean POWER.

Look up this Database before buying a PSU.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif_. I <3 Mechanical Keyboard._ post-flame-small.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 16
I think I know what microcenter you're talking about. I also live in NY I got my power back Tuesday night mainly because of my location and my area wasn't hit as badly as some.

-Good idea going with the 2500k it's stupid cheap at microcenter.
-When I was there a couple weeks ago I managed to grab a samsung 830 series 120gb SSD for about $90.
-Also as stated about I highly recommend the Asrock extreme4 they make amazing boards.
-Hyper 212 plus is $26 at microcenter great deal, although if you wanna get crazy they have that whole watercooling section and they have some nice closed loop kits.
-I think you can just grab any old hard drive they have there.
-As for the GPU, the GPUs at microcenter are pretty steeply priced so i'd say grab a 7870 from newegg for $200 if it's in your price range but if not you can get a 7770 cheap if you don't need a lot of graphics power. They have a bunch of them there.

Good luck with your PC! Salvage as much parts as you can! biggrin.gif

A+ certified PC repair technician thumb.gif

I'm from Long Island, I'm a member of the New Yorker Club

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it." - Andrew Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 60
Cross County Microcenter? Maybe i'll see ya there! I wonder if the Long Island one is ruined now too....never went there but I know we have those TWO near us when some people sadly have 0.

Thanks for the input guys! Few more questions:

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, any good? Is the UD3H much superior? If those are comparably priced to that Asus, I might grab them. Always been partial to gigabyte, used several of their boards and never had a problem. Used an Asus once as well in the past and it was OK, so I dont mind them at all. I also had a Foxconn that worked very well for a long time. Basically try and stick to one of those brands if i can, but that ASUS is veryyyy appealing. Guess I'll see the prices in person as well as online before I make a buy.

Also, would kingston HyperX blu be any good? I see it is also comparatively priced to the Crucial, and I am a huge fan of kingston because its always very reliable and (usually) error free in my past purchases. I also have never had a compatibility problem with kingston and my last board needed some pretty obscure rams to be totally rock solid. Made OC'ing my ram impossible but it always ran reliably no hiccups.

To boot, Microcenter has some EXCELLENT "store name" SSDs, one is 120gb for ~90$. They also have a 90GB OCZ thats 60$ that I may grab instead. Dunno if 120gb is overkill for a SSD, but I guess the more the better. Though I am desperately trying to pinch pennies to put more towards the other parts (and to spend less obviously!), so I may go for the ocz.

Lastly, my current resolution is sadly either 1366x768 on my Samsung tv (I know I know but its and sized appropriately), or a 1280x1024 17" flatpanel. I also sometimes have a second, dual monitor setup for that (extra 17" dell), but I usually only game on 1 monitor as that divide down the middle really disorients me. SO! i'm assuming I could get away with a 7770? Or a 7850? the most taxing game I will probably be playing is Skyrim (might even try some of those ENBs now!). I also play Steam games such as TF2, CSGO, etc, civ 4/5, Batman, so I dont currently need an INSANE gfx card.

I like mods on skyrim as well, but was always limited by my 88GTs 512mb memory. Focusing basically on this need, and the rest of my games will play accordingly. Basically, what card will allow modded Skryim (and possibly enbs) at these resolutions? Obviously I need a lot less horsepower with reduced resolutions, so I'm curious if I can get away with a less expensive GPU?

Of course one day I play on buying a nicer monitor, but money has been very tight for a long time now (college student), and I definitely need the PC built more than I need the monitor. After all I cant play anything on the monitor without a PC haha.

I'll probably be picking up the coolers you all suggested, as well as checking elsewhere for graphics cards as y'all said. I dunno why but I agree that MC always has stupidly overpriced vid cards. My xion 660W is still working fine, so I'll be using that, and I have a NZXT nemesis elite case which i'm HOPING will be large enough for new video cards, but if not I"ll be getting whatever case is on sale at the time.

Once again, thanks for input guys!!! Hopefully I can get some stuff on the cheap-o

post #5 of 5 Old 11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 16
Yea I usually go to the westbury microcenter but it's probably all flooded and messed up now frown.gif

-Anyways, I'd rather take my chances with the microcenter brand name SSD than OCZ because I heard some not so great things about them, plus if it fails in a short period of time you could always return it.

-Graphics cards at microcenter are expensive, so your best bet might be to just grab a 7770 or order a GPU off of newegg on the cheap. When it comes to low res gaming it's not like you need more than 1 gig of video ram anyway and the 7770 is actually a pretty nice card.

-If you do end up grabbing the 7770 you might have room in the budget for a higher end board but the one you mentioned seems good. A better choice might be the asrock extreme 4 or the Asus p8Z77:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/387156/P8Z77-V_LX_Socket_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

A+ certified PC repair technician thumb.gif

I'm from Long Island, I'm a member of the New Yorker Club

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it." - Andrew Jackson

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page