Return to PC Building has been costly - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hmm thinking this to replace my burnt ramw ith..

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...n_dual_channel

Opinions?

Robert Wink - [OCN] Wink on overclock.net Gungame CSS Server
IT Geek
My Machine, In Greater Detail (UPDATED 1/9/07)
10667 3DMark06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 126
SLI certified RAM, where did you hear this from? I think I remember a hilarious debate over...how the hell can ram be "SLI certified," marketing...

And BTW..I also have an SLI machine....=)

Xbox Live Gamertag : BrinNutz
PS3 Nick: BrinNutz

POW-MIA - Never Forgotten
SSGT Stephen Heitman of Indianapolis, IN. MIA : 13 March 1968
Come home safe my brothers and sisters. When we win.

gunner2.gif

Admin @ CS:S overclock.nuclearfallout.net

post #13 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Don't Be A Dick

Liked: 263
Send a message via AIM to FlaKing Send a message via MSN to FlaKing Send a message via Yahoo to FlaKing
DDR2 is DDR2 is DDR2.

RIP Syrillian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

The MB manual says "If you buy opur superduper special DDR2 Ram it will do cool ****"

Something about the 1066mhz stuff is adressed in a special way by the 5 & 6 series Nvidia MCP's.. if it wasnt so late I would look it up and type it.. but my brain is getting numb..

here..

Quote:
The new OCZ PC2-8500 Platinum Series is equipped with NVIDIA Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP) to optimize the modules’ performance on nForce® 590 SLI-based motherboards. OCZ exclusively engineered select high-performance modules with advanced SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings to allow compatible motherboards to recognize and utilize the added information, ultimately increasing the performance potential of the entire platform.

OCZ SLI-Ready memory modules are programmed to boot at 1066MHz DDR2 with supremely fast timings of 5-5-5. Only motherboards equipped with the custom-designed BIOS, such as those designed for NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCPs, can detect the optimized SPD profiles and ensure the memory functions under the best possible conditions. The exclusive OCZ SPD specifications take out the guesswork and provide enthusiasts and gamers with significant overclocked performance with no manual adjustment or compatibility issues.
this just marketing BS? cause I really hate marketing BS.. and I am too ignorant to know the difference still..
Robert

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06
post #15 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Still Standing

Liked: 2560
Send a message via Skype™ to Syrillian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Dont get me wrong, I love Dell.. I swear by their Server Equipment.. but the desktops are for..uh.. business purposes

An XPS is different..

Just got some new stuff in this week too.. Dual CPU XEONS with Quad Cores, and a couple Quad Core Xeons with Dual Cores..

So..uh.. without the wife satisfying needs.. seeing Quad core Xeons helped me to ..uh..relieve myself.. lol
Agreed... in a twisted manner. Dell's are great PC's for people that do not give a hoot about building and tweaking, and that do not mind paying essentially double for neutered hardware. Not trying to be rude or brusque - merely pragmatic. I know people that seem to have an aversion to CIS technology.... fine by me, they are entitled. Besides, some of those individuals' systems have ended up at my house on the worktable for upgrades or troubleshooting (@ no charge). Love it!

Custom Case building, dream and build

Custom Cases: Obsidian Silence, Silentium, Halcyon, Anvil, Indigo
Case Mods: Liquid Chameleon, LC-Lan Box

"Semper Fidelis"
post #16 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaKing View Post
DDR2 is DDR2 is DDR2.

after reading the final paragraph.. I see the truth of it.. it is regualr 800Mhz DDR2 actually, that has a profile the Bios reads that just clocks it to a 1:1 with the FSB of 1066..

"Freeing you from manually overclocking it".. hmmmm sounds like ..uh.. the same crap they already sell, but pre-tweaked, and more expensive..

ahhh ha! SEE!!!! You guys are already saving me money, and helping me to not look like a blasted idiot!

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06
post #17 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 12:23 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 111
Send a message via AIM to thehybridpyro Send a message via MSN to thehybridpyro
looks like your starting to getting the hang of things now Wink.

do some digging and theres no limit to what you will learn!

ive gone from a noob to a total computer geek in a little more than a year with help from this site.

And it looks liek you have money too, so your computers will be amazing coupled with the knowledge base here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladesurfer go_quote.gif
I just played mario a while ago. When i go to school today im gonna start stomping on peopletongue.gif:
Looking for cheap compressors for phase change
post #18 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

I wouldnt say I have "The Money".. lol. I am a state employee, we arent known for deep pockets.

I know the brain side of it pretty well, it's knowing what parts work the best with other parts thats been trial and error. I do design and engineering of new systems and such as part of my job duties, so I understand the goal and procedures, but stuff like overclocking a FSB and insuring proper temps is somewhat alien to me still. Since on a Server you dont worry about it.. and you dont care if the fans are loud.. lol And you have 60 tons of HVAC as your cooler..

So you guys know.. I got my A+ when it was actually hard, and you had to know the differences in MLM vs Winchester drives. I am a MCSE+Messaging in NT4, 2000, and 2003. I also have a Cisco Cert for Switched Internetworking on Catalyst Switches, and I have a CSAN-E For (Certified Storage Area Networks Engineer) I am also fuly checked out on EMC SAN equipment, and Brocade Fabric Switching, both engineering, and implementation. And I am "Certified?" as a Dell Storage Area Professional, Dell Storage Security Professional, and a Dell Certified Server Professional.. basically that lets me skip tier 1 support and talk to an engineer.. lol. Spent a lot fo time in Round Rock Texas in the past few years. Dell FOR LIFE!..until somebody does it better anyways

Been doing it professionally since 91. Been doing the last 4 years with the State of Florida Department of Education. I run the server farm, and also manage the Facilities side and infrastructure planning. I have a cool sounding Title that makes me sound cooler than I really am.. but basically I am a Server Manager.

You guys help me achieve my dreams here, and I will do all I can to help in other areas if anyone ever needs to know anything I may be able to help with.

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06
post #19 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Still Standing

Liked: 2560
Send a message via Skype™ to Syrillian
Oh man! You could be a massive Folder!!!

Custom Case building, dream and build

Custom Cases: Obsidian Silence, Silentium, Halcyon, Anvil, Indigo
Case Mods: Liquid Chameleon, LC-Lan Box

"Semper Fidelis"
post #20 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

LOL

I have 150 Servers roughly.. all at least Dual CPU Xeons, most Quad CPU Xeons.. and ALL of them secured to the point that even if I DID set tham all up for folding, they wouldnt ever be able to phone home..and I would get fired, and not be paid the money needed to go faster on my home PC!

lol

But I have been educating myself on this whole folding thing, sounds similar to the Seti@Home thing years back. Prolly join up once I am stable.. I have a few PC's and notebooks on the home LAN I could use 100% of the time to it

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page