[Build Log] - Vagrant - The ultimate poor man's portable gaming desktop! (water cooled as well) - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 23 Old 07-05-2015, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

It might not be a good idea to have the server in such a small case- the components will get hot, and unless you implement some airflow design (ventilation, 140mm fan holes, Ect), it might get a bit toasty.

Worry not, because the motherboard is going to be located on top of the angled front plate. Allowing for fantastic air flow... And provides for easy cleaning... Yeah.. That's what we'll go with.

Also a milk crate would be sweet. I may look for one on Craigslist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 26
post #13 of 23 Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 AM

I absolutely love it. Do what you can with as little as you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 Old 07-06-2015, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwbat View Post

I absolutely love it. Do what you can with as little as you can!

Thanks mate! Haha I am really having tons of fun trying to source parts for the build. Thankfully my work has tons of spare cardboard for me to have. I even found some colorful pieces so I can have it decorated a bit! And I like the idea of the wire rack @alltheGHz but it's a bit bigger than I need and strays from the idea of spending nothing on the case. Haha but I am keeping my eyes out for other possible case options.

Update as well for every one I was able to source a motherboard for $40 which isn't as low as I was hoping but that means that hopefully soon we will see parts coming together here shortly. I am also going to be modifying the design of my cardboard case a good bit to allow for some mods that will be added in phase 2... That is soon to be revealed...

Edit as well as a question: Should I include the money I saved by not buying para-chord and by not buying some sort of case in the "Total saved over retail part"?
post #15 of 23 Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update for today! I got some pictures of prototype #2 for my case. I think it is a fairly solid design, and will allow plenty of room for phase 2.... Also I am excited because tomorrow the motherboard arrives and then the next day the cpu rolls in! I better get working on the final case here shortly. Thankfully I have tomorrow off. tongue.gif

First cuts on the new side panel. I got rid of the little windows on the sides for stability reasons.

Also These pins have made prototyping much easier. They hold the corners at a right angle and don't require that much tape.

Just some pictures of psu fitment, as well as showing a close up of how the prototype is held together without the motherboard tray. Also I like not having to have those holes in the side as well to see the label.

Like the way it looks with the motherboard installed. I will be putting some vents in that back panel for the psu to vent as well. I really was just trying to get a good idea about where everything is in the system.

Finally a side by side comparison with Prototype #1. Pretty much the only difference is the orientation of the psu, the length, and the width.

Also guys I am having trouble deciding how to hold it all together... I want to keep everything pretty clean. My thought right now is open up some bobby pins to push in the corners, and then hot glue over them... but idk.. I also have wood glue these pins, all sorts of string, among other things. Let me know what you think though guys!
post #16 of 23 Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Small update for today. I started making cuts on the final material for the build. I think it is going to look pretty nice to be honest. I think I am going to add a bottom to it as well.... Hadn't really thought about that up until now for some reason but I think it sounds like a good idea, so it can travel you know... like it will say on the side. Either way here is what I have, and I will be updating again when I the parts come in this afternoon.

Managed to nab these before my Starbucks threw them out. Pretty nice for the final build materials.

Making some really precise cuts, because up until now not everything has fit together 100%

Some pictures of the designs on the side.

Anyways hopefully everything starts coming together here shortly... I may wait to finish the pc case and instead opt to setup the server once the parts are all in.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 2
What a brilliant build. Your pins in the corners is a great idea how about epoxy gluing the butt joint and then using a quality silicone type sealent down the inside joins to add bulk and strength? Either that or attach your cardboard to a thin wooden frame?
post #18 of 23 Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have had some sort of better structure. So far though the prototypes have been surprisingly rigid with just the pins and scotch tape. I will look around for some silicone though and try that out, because to be honest that probably is the best solution.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Update for today. Got some pictures of the new hardware, as well as of my test bench setup. Expect final build pictures here shortly.

Obviously he used Christmas paper to wrap it because he knew its like Christmas to me...

Hopefully I will be pulling together the final pieces shortly!
post #20 of 23 Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

So I have started putting the case together, although I am trying to have the server all setup before I have everything put together. Here are some pictures.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page