[Build Log] Liquorice Allsorts: CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal - Page 16 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 601 Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Ladies, Please, One at a Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWulfe View Post

KC is a Kevin, but he's a different Kevin than the one here on the forums. KC is, for lack of better words, one of the maestros of the shop, or master of chaos and all the cosmos. Or something. Don't let him find out I said that, it might go to his head lol

He Will find out.

They Always do.

G44

TCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 601 Old 04-23-2016, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 103
PAX East ... Boston Saturday April 23rd

This just happens to be Shakespear's birthday. Also my brothers. I must try and remember to give him a call.

I saw some posts a while ago about PAX ... no idea what it was but some googling and reading some of the PAX posts suggested that this might be a fun time. However ... Seattle isn't really next door to me. Earlier this week, I hear that PAX East is in Boston this weekend. Boston is stupidly close to me ... about 30 minutes drive away. I can do that.

Tickets? Sold out. Rats. I post on FB and a friend of a friend has one for sale. We exchange addresses and he mails me the ticket while I mail him a check. I got it yesterday ... so ... this morning I was off to PAX East.

Nice enough venue ... spacey with a fair number of sitting situations, tables, etc, etc. It was also very inclusive ...

PAXEast01.png

Here is an early picture of the main floor ...

PAXEast02.png

... and one a couple of hours later.

PAXEast03.png

So ... why go to PAX? I was hoping to see a whole bunch of computer mods. Crazy things that people had done with cases, water cooling, fans, lighting and what-not. Catch up with some of the players in the market (Corsair, Cryorig, In-Win, CaseLabs, Thermalfake, NEXT, etc). I did spend some time talking to some coolermaster people who were selling primochill sleeved cables. They felt really nice ... but there were a little spaghetti like ... needed some cable combs. They didn't have any.

I did see this in-win case which is interesting but weird. How do you build into something like this?

PAXEast04.png

How? Good question ... an hour later after more walking around, I come across it again like this ...

PAXEast05.png

There were a bunch of people in cos-play ...

PAXEast07.png

... but this might not have been straight-up cos-play ... it might have been more of an ad for something ...

PAXEast06.png

There were lots of opportunities to play games ... and to look like your typical, overweight, cellar dwelling computer guy ...

PAXEast08.png

... but if PCs weren't your thing ... StarWars board games. These guys were super into where their ship was and how far it could move each turn (hence the colored pieces of straight / curved pieces of plastic). The big question that I had was 'did they know were their towel was?'

PAXEast09.png

There were figurines to paint. And paint to paint them with. And tables to sit at with the paint and paint your figurines.

PAXEast10.png

And a flashback to my youth ... multiy sided dice ... lots of D&D stuff including special D&D playing tables with special fold out draws to hold your own copy of the Monster Manual.

PAXEast11.png

And then the computer builds ... some with cable combs such as this nice little mITX build ...

PAXEast12.png

... some with crazy tube bending and GPU extenders ...

PAXEast13.png

I actually like the look of this, on-board M.2 card on the motherboard. I do like the tube runs ... very nice and clean. They also had a special section out the back for rad and res / pump combo. Sure, it might make it a little difficult to plug anything into the motherboard / gpu ... but you have to think that they thought of ways around that. No cable combs but frown.gif.

PAXEast14.png

This one had lots of ... ok some ... LEDs that cycled between blue, green, nothing (white?), red etc. Here is the white version that allowed the natural red / black color combo to come out. Are those revolver fittings from Primochill? They seemed to be in each and every build that I looked at. Take a special look at the CPU plate. The builder had to use an extension(?) of some sort to fit the 2nd revolver fitting to the EKWB port. Interesting.

PAXEast15.png

This one must have been a valentine build ...

PAXEast16.png

Enermax had lots (and lots) of LED options for their fans. As Donald Trump would say ... I am not a fan of LED fans.

PAXEast17.png

Finally, I did find one CaseLabs case ... empty frown.gif. But, apparently, they were giving it away ... on Sunday. I only had a Saturday ticket.

PAXEast18.png

I left mid afternoon with my ticket and lanyard ... a kind gentleman offered to contribute to my event parking by buying the ticket off me. Ok, if you want to give me $s ... sure.

Build Logs - Complete                                                      Build Logs - Active
Home Server ... Take III                                                      'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'C-Sweet' - a 'Thought Log'                                                   'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202
'Set and Forget' ... a NAS in a CaseLabs Nova X2M (NAS moved into bigger box ... Home Server III)
HTPC - Silverstone Tek ML07B with Cryorig C1 CPU cooler
NAS - Running FreeNAS in a Cooler Master 915R (NAS moved into Nova Case)
Other Stuff
post #153 of 601 Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM

Liked: 83
How was it. I wanted to drive from Philly to Boston just to go so bad. I wish they had one in Philadelphia or Atlantic city. Or at least something close

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 601 Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

LiqAsrt-Header.jpg

Pedestal Complete

The pedestal is complete. I want to flush the rads out a few more times, but I don't have to do that for a while. Drain installed, connections to the future Mercury S5 (currently on order) are ready, wiring is done. Also picked up some casters, thanks to wermad.

Time for some final pics ...

LiqAsrt-Ped-0182.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0183.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0184.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0185.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0186.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0187.jpg
LiqAsrt-Ped-0188.jpg

LiqAsrt-Footer.jpg

Build Logs - Complete                                                      Build Logs - Active
Home Server ... Take III                                                      'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'C-Sweet' - a 'Thought Log'                                                   'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202
'Set and Forget' ... a NAS in a CaseLabs Nova X2M (NAS moved into bigger box ... Home Server III)
Other Stuff
post #155 of 601 Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 AM

Liked: 8
Looks good thumb.gif But why only stickers on the fans on one of the radiators?
post #156 of 601 Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemdoom View Post

Looks good thumb.gif But why only stickers on the fans on one of the radiators?

I am undecided if I want stickers ... or not. Nothing I need to rush into. rolleyes.gif

Other Stuff
post #157 of 601 Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 AM

Fair enough
post #158 of 601 Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have been looking at various S5 builds with regards to the sort of thing I could throw into mine. I have a theme that is color (Liquorice Allsorts ... black, white, orange, green, pink, yellow) and I think I have that covered. I also have a hex grid theme running.

I'm going to see if I can put these two things together, plus leverage what others have done ... especially this one with vinyl stick-on stencils.

I'm not planning on going that 'all in' but if I stick on a clear cover with some hex grids ... it should look pretty good. But ... I have options ... which way do the hex grids orientate? What pattern? What color? What size? Input welcome ...

Sorry ... the pics are huge.

FYI ... CaseLabs hex grids are flat tops.

I have separated each hex grid from the others ... I could also close them up so that the sides overlap.

Pointy top Hex Grid (Click to show)
Hex-Grid-v1.jpg
Flat top Hex Grid (Click to show)
Hex-Grid-v2.jpg

Other Stuff
post #159 of 601 Old 05-01-2016, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

And here are some mock-ups based on grid size.

The pick part is the window.

This grid is size is 26mm.

Hex-Grid-v10.jpg

This grid is size is 13mm.

Hex-Grid-v11.jpg

This grid is size is 7mm. I got bored with removing hexes ... hence the covered 'Allsorts'.

Hex-Grid-v12.jpg

Other Stuff
post #160 of 601 Old 05-01-2016, 11:19 AM

I like the 13mm one best thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page