post #11 of 83 Old 09-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Ladies, Please, One at a Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reglar View Post

Thanks TCO, speak up if you see something stupid...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
OK picture time again!

My Monsoon MMRS reservoirs came in today. It is hard to appreciate how well the red looks with the black as my photography lights are above the surface.

There are 2 red cathode tubes behind each res, my goal is to have a sort of a glow from the reservoirs when lit. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks. If its too muted I'll look at white cathode tubes but I really didn't want to stick them in, I think they would be too over powering.

I threw one of my Aquabus D5 pumps in to do a test fit, I'm going to need to make a custom end cap I think in order to have enough clearance for the aquabus connector.

Also a reminder I'm looking for input on the pros and cons of having an upside down vertical rad having the system fill line at the top.

Next step is to sleeve the other pump and assemble the rads (the black screws also came in today).

That's a given.

I was amazed with the Aquacomputer setup. Just magnificent. wheee.gif

TCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 30
Not much of an update tonight, i started setting up a temp loop to test the new hardware but ran out of time to finish it (lost 2 hours due to the wife watching Dancing with the Stars, I refuse to be in the same room with that show).

I'll finish the setup Wed night and post a couple of pics.

Next big step is to drill the case holes for the tube passthru's and for the wire access to the pedestal. I cheated last time but drilling one of the screw in panels in the bottom but this time I need to drill the actual case itself.

I'm also thinking of putting the LEDs on physical switches, I used the cubby hole in the ped last time but it was a pain to access, I may mock up some low profile pressure plates on the top of the case.

Your name here for $100
post #13 of 83 Old 09-28-2016, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Here are the pictures of the gear pre-testing.

First off the motherboard, note the U.2 connection and 2 M.2 slots. Only downside is that the U.2 and M.2 slots share channels so I'll use an NVME drive and an existing SM951 M.2 drive I have.

The package included a black power/reset block (first time I've seen it in non-white), and a tool to install the CPU (is it really that hard to install???).

Here's a shot of the CPU (not very sexy).

Here's the RAM. I picked off the qualified vendor list for the ram. The package came with 2 RAM coolers, I only need 1 of them but I might re-purpose the other for the VRMs. The coolers have LED lights, on the box it looks like they might be red, if they look OK I'll light them up.

Here's the video cards (well 1 of them, I didn't bother showing both). The block is a full card block, I'm going to put LED strips under the blocks to give them a red glow. I like the back plate as well.

Here's the high speed bridge.

Your name here for $100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 83 Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Tonight's testing of the hardware was successful tonight. One issue I found was one of the cards was 7 to 8 degrees hotter during stress testing. I'll pop the blocks off and re-apply the thermal compound and see if that helps bring them closer together.

Here are a couple shots of the test setup using my flash.

Your name here for $100
post #15 of 83 Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Tonight's update...

Well MSI put a "void warranty" sticker on one of the water block screws so I'm not going to redo the thermal paste unless I really have an issue when I overclock the cards. The hottest card only got to 42 and I only had 1 rad with fans on 1 side, I expect I'll get better temps with the full setup (we'll find out eventually).

I did some placement tests with the 3 x 120 rad in the front, and in order to get enough clearance for all 4 bay slots above the rad (for the Aquaero gear) I had to put the rad at the lowest set of screws. This means that the rad is just above the bottom of the case, so I'm going to have to use the 2 fitting holes on the that run parallel to the bottom of the case instead of the 2 that intersect the case.

I did a test drill on am extra piece of metal to test my bulkhead passthrus and my hole drill set is too large, so I ordered a smaller hole drill set which should arrive Sat.

I also received switches from PPCS to see if I can use them discreetly to control the LEDs, and I think I can (I ordered them, they didn't spontaneously sent them to me).

I'll be spending the rest of the evening creating a custom power harness for the Aquaero units. I also need to make some short, custom aquabus cables.

I expect I'll have more appreciable progress over the weekend.

Your name here for $100
post #16 of 83 Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reglar View Post

Tonight's update...

Well MSI put a "void warranty" sticker on one of the water block screws so I'm not going to redo the thermal paste unless I really have an issue when I overclock the cards. The hottest card only got to 42 and I only had 1 rad with fans on 1 side, I expect I'll get better temps with the full setup (we'll find out eventually).

I did some placement tests with the 3 x 120 rad in the front, and in order to get enough clearance for all 4 bay slots above the rad (for the Aquaero gear) I had to put the rad at the lowest set of screws. This means that the rad is just above the bottom of the case, so I'm going to have to use the 2 fitting holes on the that run parallel to the bottom of the case instead of the 2 that intersect the case.

I did a test drill on am extra piece of metal to test my bulkhead passthrus and my hole drill set is too large, so I ordered a smaller hole drill set which should arrive Sat.

I also received switches from PPCS to see if I can use them discreetly to control the LEDs, and I think I can (I ordered them, they didn't spontaneously sent them to me).

I'll be spending the rest of the evening creating a custom power harness for the Aquaero units. I also need to make some short, custom aquabus cables.

I expect I'll have more appreciable progress over the weekend.

Warranty, swmarmenty. Blah blah. Do what you have to do.

Remember that passthrough fittings require a diameter of 20mm thumb.gif

TCO
post #17 of 83 Old 10-02-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Pass thru's are in. I spent the Saturday and Sunday creating a custom power cable that daisy chain all 10 units. I ended up doing it 4 times because I just didn't think the first 3 were really robust enough. Now working on custom aquabus cables to chain all 10 units, I'll post pics once that is done.

Your name here for $100
post #18 of 83 Old 10-03-2016, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Picture time!

First off powered up Aquaero gear. I ran out of female fan headers so I still have 3 aquabus cables to make but it's done enough for pics. I mounted them into a hacked up frame for now. The power cable isn't perfect but it's good enough (I refuse to do it again).

I also got the 2 rads in the pedestal in, so some pics.

Your name here for $100
post #19 of 83 Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM

post #20 of 83 Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Not much progress but some. I had to work late last night, so no real progress yesterday. Today the extra fan header housing and pins came in, so I made the last 3 cables. I also sleeved the case labs power and reset lines. And finally I mounted the main case onto the ped after drilling a discreet hole through to the ped for wiring the fans there as well as the eventual LEDs.

Next big steps will to mount the rads in the main case, mount the aquaero gear, get the motherboard mounted onto the motherboard tray and start placing all the additional items. I'd like to say I'll be done by the end of the weekend, but I know I'll need to create custom wires from the aquaero units to all the fans, get the temp probes placed, get the LEDs installed and wired, play with mechanical switches to control them etc.

Definitely new pics on the weekend though so stat tuned...

Your name here for $100

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page