Any Ideas Why My Rig Won't Boot? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 17 Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RAM didn't seem to affect it. PS/2 keyboard flashes that it has power, BRIEFLY, but still gets no response.

@Dralb: USB port didn't change anything. Nothing else - like I said, haven't had time to change anything since I did the initial build, other than popping in the second internal. I use an external, too, but I've tried it with it connected and disconnected with no change.

@Wire: No, I have no spare RAM around that will fit this - my old computer was REALLY old... so old I had the old 3-groove DRAM. You know, I wonder... I shut it down this morning and unplugged the PSU because we had a thunderstorm going. It's after plugging it back in that this started, so I'll try the switch and see if something's gone weird with the PSU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

PSU seems just fine. If I turn it off and back on, the PS/2 keyboard shows power (quick flash of its lights), but the Razer stuff does nothing (as I recall, it DID flash when I first got it and plugged it in). Everything inside seems to have power, no strange sounds or lights... Just no power to the keyboard or mouse, and no post.

post #13 of 17 Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Extreme Engineer

Liked: 257
agreed with wire, turn off the psu, and even try unplugging everything and plugging back in.
remember the south park episode when the internet crashed? and all the nasa scientists couldn't figure out what was wrong. then stan unplugged the power and put it back in the wall and *POOF* it works...lol

give it a shot

EDIT: are you seeing your bios at all when you boot? if not your MB may have died. you said everything else has power, which is all connected to the PSU, but you ps/2 keyboard, which is connected to the MB, isn't working??!!

learn how to fold here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE go_quote.gif
Fold For The Cause !smile.gifFold For The People cool.gif.
steam: [OCN]smoke12291
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

I get the BIOS splash, but no post. The PS/2 keyboard has power (it flashes), but gets no response.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Aussie Aussie Aussie !

Liked: 253
Send a message via MSN to scottath
Do you have another motherboard to test everything with?
sounds like it could be time to retire the old 965 chipset....

| Canon 5D2/7D/550D | Canon 17-40 F4L | 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron | Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II | Canon EF 85mm f1.8 | Zeiss 50mm F2 Makro | Lee Filters |
flickr
cheers.gifAUSSIE OCN CLUBcheers.gif
post #16 of 17 Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 153
I know you don't think it is a hard drive issue, but it could still be your burden. Check in your bios the priority in which your drives are accessed. For whatever reason I believe your system made that IDE drive the priority drive and is looking to that to boot and run windows.

You might want to look at your hard drives and your optical drives and see if they have jumpers on them. If they do, make sure you set it up so your SATA is primary, and your IDE is secondary. What I do is just set the jumper to "by cable management" and connect everything the way I want to the motherboard and make sure it correlates with your bios settings.

You are a special, unique individual... just like everybody else.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

@Scottath: Nope, like I said, the old rig was REALLY old.

@EuphoricMix: I couldn't even get in to BIOS, that's part of the problem. I have all the jumpers right, You're partially right, though - I figured out that it was trying to boot from the external I mentioned before.

Apparently when I last cleaned it, one of the hidden files that designated it as a secondary drive was deleted, so it tried to boot as a primary. I had tried to run the computer without the drive, but it must have still been looking for it. After unplugging it, doing a CMOS clear AFTER that, and starting without it, it worked. I checked the BIOS, and it has an option to boot from USB HDD built in, so I guess it had switched itself over. *Shrugs* Who knows. Working now, though!

Edit: Now I seem to have another slight problem, though - my IDE HDD and Optical Drive aren't showing... wonder what that's all about...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page