Core I7 980X, Tri Watercooled GTX 480 - Page 7 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Need a bit of help here, the boards instructions show 4 power connectors on the board, 2 8 pin and 2 molex. This i have never seen before. I am guessing it has to do with when you are adding more components fans etc. Do they all need to be plugged in? Did some searching on my own, and found many others with same question, but no definitive answer. The Silverstone has plenty of connectors, (So far I dont think Ill need all, but i havent even thought about radiator fans/ Fan controllers yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

post #63 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Think this is going to be pretty useless for me as its has no connectors for SATA 6. One small thing, is that
i am going to have to get some extensions for the motherboard power cables. The silverstones, are not long enough, and are ugly anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
asg
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaSupra View Post
Doesn't Lian-Li make a PSU extender like that?
I added one of those. All you need to do is cut a hole big enough for the PSU to slide through. If your original mounting holes don't line up with the Lian Li bracket, you need to drill new ones. It works great.
RacWisco likes this.
post #65 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Mas
WaterCooler

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacWisco View Post
Need a bit of help here, the boards instructions show 4 power connectors on the board, 2 8 pin and 2 molex. This i have never seen before. I am guessing it has to do with when you are adding more components fans etc. Do they all need to be plugged in? Did some searching on my own, and found many others with same question, but no definitive answer. The Silverstone has plenty of connectors, (So far I dont think Ill need all, but i havent even thought about radiator fans/ Fan controllers yet)
The two 8 pin are for extreme overclocking. Usually, if you need that much power, you are running so high an overclock that you need DICE or LN2 or something like that. You can get away with just one 8 pin, or an 8 pin and a 4 pin, or both 8 pins, if your PSU has them.

The 2 moles connectors are for multiple power hungry cards, so that you don't fry your board trying to draw too much power through the 24 pin connection for your cards. With what you are proposing, I would definitely use them.

Hope this helps

Sweet, sweet sweet rig man

Also, for water cooling the cards, like someone else said, don't buy the EVGA cards with the water cooling built in. Buy EK-FC blocks.
RacWisco likes this.

post #66 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Mas
WaterCooler

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacWisco View Post
Think this is going to be pretty useless for me as its has no connectors for SATA 6. One small thing, is that
i am going to have to get some extensions for the motherboard power cables. The silverstones, are not long enough, and are ugly anyway.
Sorry, but what are you referring to here? The board has SATA3 (6gb/s) connections on it. They are the red ones, just above the normal SATA2 connections.

The board also comes with SATA3 cables.

post #67 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 445
Oh my god you have money. O_O

Awesome Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 go_quote.gif

I'm not worried in the least. I haven't taken anti-biotics in 12 years and I constantly lick my hands to build disease resistance.

My immune system is impenetrable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockturtle566 go_quote.gif

Windows XP is like a boss in a game that can heal it self. IT WON'T DIE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif

If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k go_quote.gif

Hey cutie, wanna meet my friend BIOS ? It stands for Basic, input, outpu..SLAP!!

Giggidy.
post #68 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asg View Post
I added one of those. All you need to do is cut a hole big enough for the PSU to slide through. If your original mounting holes don't line up with the Lian Li bracket, you need to drill new ones. It works great.
Thanks, im going to go ahead and get one, and give it a try. This stuff is a lot of fun, im a mechanic at heart and love metal.
post #69 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas View Post
The two 8 pin are for extreme overclocking. Usually, if you need that much power, you are running so high an overclock that you need DICE or LN2 or something like that. You can get away with just one 8 pin, or an 8 pin and a 4 pin, or both 8 pins, if your PSU has them.

The 2 moles connectors are for multiple power hungry cards, so that you don't fry your board trying to draw too much power through the 24 pin connection for your cards. With what you are proposing, I would definitely use them.

Hope this helps

Sweet, sweet sweet rig man

Also, for water cooling the cards, like someone else said, don't buy the EVGA cards with the water cooling built in. Buy EK-FC blocks.
I agree, im going to get the EK blocks for the cards, thanks for the help about power. The silverstone has plenty of power and plenty of 12 v connectors
post #70 of 262 Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas View Post
Sorry, but what are you referring to here? The board has SATA3 (6gb/s) connections on it. They are the red ones, just above the normal SATA2 connections.

The board also comes with SATA3 cables.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know the board has the SATA 3 connectors. I was reffering to the setup for the Obsidian 800s hot swap cage, SATA2 only, not SATA 3. Dont see a need for hot swap anyway.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page