post #71 of 133 Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
CaseLabs Marketing Manager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedJesus View Post

After recently getting a job which includes panel building and various other types of wiring I was shocked to find out just how expensive tools like crimpers can be. Just last week we ordered 2x Molex Clik-Mate crimpers and 2x wire strippers and couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the price of the order... just over £600 for 4 hand tools blinksmiley.gif

The really handy thing about working there is that I wont have to pay for crimps or tools when I finaly get around to tidying up my rig in the near future with some nice MPDC sleeving smile.gif

Thats what happens when you design a standard. You can then charge insane amounts of money for the specialty tools required to work with said standard. Philips head? Nah! Let's make twin star hyperbole head! The we can charge 100 bucks for the driver because of the special head on it!

This is why I hate tools... but I still love them...

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
Don't forget to Join us on FaceBook!
Follow us on Twitter @CaseLabsUSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 133 Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

Thats what happens when you design a standard. You can then charge insane amounts of money for the specialty tools required to work with said standard. Philips head? Nah! Let's make twin star hyperbole head! The we can charge 100 bucks for the driver because of the special head on it!

Yeah I really didn't expect the price of equipment like that to be nearly as high as it is. Soldering irons are the same. We ordered a Pace ST 50 along with the other tools and it was £210 to my amazment but I guess you get what you pay for because compared to the cheap iron I have at home it is 100 times easier to use and allows for much better and more unform solder joints when working on through hole boards.
post #73 of 133 Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 37
Quote:

After recently getting a job which includes panel building and various other types of wiring I was shocked to find out just how expensive tools like crimpers can be. Just last week we ordered 2x Molex Clik-Mate crimpers and 2x wire strippers and couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the price of the order... just over £600 for 4 hand tools blinksmiley.gif
The really handy thing about working there is that I wont have to pay for crimps or tools when I finaly get around to tidying up my rig in the near future with some nice MPDC sleeving smile.gif

The main reason for these tools being pricey is because factories are their main consumers and that cost for a factory is very "low".

BOARD G1.Sniper 5 CPU i7 4790k GPU 2x GTX 970 SC RAM 16GB G.skill Sniper HDD 480gb OCZ Vertex 460 + 128gb Crucial M4 PSU Seasonic P-760 DISPLAY U2410 OS Win 10 Pro WHEEL CSW V2 RIM BMW GT2 PEDALS CSP V3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 133 Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
CaseLabs Marketing Manager

Liked: 523
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

Yeah I really didn't expect the price of equipment like that to be nearly as high as it is. Soldering irons are the same. We ordered a Pace ST 50 along with the other tools and it was £210 to my amazment but I guess you get what you pay for because compared to the cheap iron I have at home it is 100 times easier to use and allows for much better and more unform solder joints when working on through hole boards.

Yeah, sometimes you really do get what you pay for. My hammer, which my father handed down to me and is older than I am (I think it's actually closer to 40 years old) is the best tool I have. My dad paid a hefty price for it back in its hayday, but it's still going. I used it for 4 years straight almost daily doing audio/video work for the rich and famous.

I actually just broke my MDPC Molex pin tool. Had it for close to 2 years, sleeved 6 PSUs with it, and it one of the prongs just snapped. frown.gif So, another order to MDPC will be needed.

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
Don't forget to Join us on FaceBook!
Follow us on Twitter @CaseLabsUSA
post #75 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 115
Stories like that make me feel like I need to buy a backup. I do sleeving jobs for others and I am over my 6th psu easy within a year.

Chimp Challenge Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

post #76 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 37
The tool we all worship. I made a picture for ya all. biggrin.gif

BOARD G1.Sniper 5 CPU i7 4790k GPU 2x GTX 970 SC RAM 16GB G.skill Sniper HDD 480gb OCZ Vertex 460 + 128gb Crucial M4 PSU Seasonic P-760 DISPLAY U2410 OS Win 10 Pro WHEEL CSW V2 RIM BMW GT2 PEDALS CSP V3
post #77 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi518 View Post

The tool we all worship. I made a picture for ya all. biggrin.gif
Nice pic.. thumb.gif
post #78 of 133 Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Liked: 88
Where is a good place to get some PCI-e Pins in the US. I know I could order them from Nils, but was wondering if someone else has em.

I ordered some from PPCS, and what they sent me is not what they had pictured.

Pictured on left, what I received on the right. The part that bites into the insulation is too short and even though I can crimp the pins okay, I fear that one of them might come out someday.

- Mod Zoo Staff Writer
post #79 of 133 Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Colorado Modder

Liked: 182
Good luck with that...as far as I know, Nils is the only one who sells the crimps with longer "wings"
post #80 of 133 Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 42

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page