MDPC-X Extension question - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was just wondering if you could make your own set of custom cables from scratch. Not extensions, cables that are the made from the beginning of your PSU port and that end at connector on the component. The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm unsure as to whether connectors that are used, for example these two: http://lutro0-customs.com/products/24-pin-male-connector and http://lutro0-customs.com/products/24-pin-female-connector , can be used to make scratch cables using 18 AWG, sleeving, crimps and patience. Just to make clear. I'm not talking about extensions, I'm talking about actual cables that start from the PSU and end at the components, for example the corsair sleeved kits. Also, are PSU ports universal? As long as i have the appropriate connector, can it be used in any PSU. Do manufacturers have their own pins that connect to their own cables?

Thanks for reading. thumb.gif
Any help will be appreciated.

I hope I helped in the post above and I hope that you're satisfied with the information that I've given you. PM me if you need any advice outside of this thread; I'm always happy to help. If you're reading this in a news article, chances are the post isn't too resourceful. wink.gif
wheee.gifsniper.gif Can't touch this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I am invisible

Liked: 306
Yes, you can make up your own cables from scratch for a fully modular PSU. However the cables use the Molex female ATX pins at both the PSU and Motherboard end so you will either have to reuse the existing housings or buy replacements.

Although many PSU housings are universal in that they're used by different manufacturers they are very often connected in a different way by each manufacturer. You shouldn't try plugging cables from one PSU into another even from the same manufacturer without carefully checking with a multi-meter or PSU Tester as there's a risk of damaging or destroying components.

The first housing you linked to is used in extension cables but the second one is used for the motherboard connection.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 170
What BE said.
Every cable on my rig was made by me from scratch, with the exception of the SATA data cables. In this case I bought most of the connectors so I could keep the original cables intact. Actually it's easier for me this way as I didn't have to depin all the connector housings.

If you do this then make a diagram of your cable housings that you can understand to refer back to when you start sticking the cables back in the housings, or keep the original cables close at hand so you can trace out how they are routed.

Maximus VIII Hero/6700K delidded w/CLP @ 4.8/Corsair LPX 4x4GB 2666 OC'd @ 3200/PCS 390X w/EK blockMain Rig specs (Click to show)
White Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals-Custom top extension
Rigid acrylic tubing/Dual D5's-MCP35x2
3x480mm-1x240mm Radiators
All psu wiring & sleeving by myself
2xAquaero 5 Pro's w/c - 1xFC8 for light panel & various led's
PowerColor PCS 390X w/EK block
6700K/Maximus VIII Hero/Corsair 4x4GB RAM
Build Logs (Click to show)Validations (Click to show)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page