Build Log - [Millennium] - Mercury S8S - Page 156 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1551 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Let's assume my username is VSG, not geggeg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Saw iBruce mention modding the monoblock, so I wanted to chime in- it is fairly easy to remove the PCH section from the CPU block/VRM section. Please see pictures below of the EK Asus RVE monoblock:

Three screws were all it took there, and they can but cut to length as well. The main issue remains the channel opening and thread tapping, and that is assuming there is space for stop plugs without hitting anything on the motherboard.
iBruce likes this.

OCN Labs Reviewer 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1552 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBruce View Post

You're good Sprill, the CaseLabs shirt is shipping with your order, and no extra shipping costs whatsoever.

Now you enjoy that thick unbreathable black heat absorbing shirt OK? lachen.gif

I'll even take a photo modelling it for you.
post #1553 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

Saw iBruce mention modding the monoblock, so I wanted to chime in- it is fairly easy to remove the PCH section from the CPU block/VRM section. Please see pictures below of the EK Asus RVE monoblock:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Three screws were all it took there, and they can but cut to length as well. The main issue remains the channel opening and thread tapping, and that is assuming there is space for stop plugs without hitting anything on the motherboard.

Thanks geggeg, +rep

Looks like it all depends on the current diameter of the existing holes. are they tapable? Is there enough plexi to secure a tight stop plug? If only i had a diameter number.

Anyways geggegs you need to become a Posse member here superbro, since you are already "the greatest thing since sliced silicon wafers" lachen.gif, and I will be leaving soon so please come by and join with these fine gents every now and then if you can find time in your schedule.

Jim is a member as is the super-binning CPU guy from Sillconlottery.com although we all wish he was more active.

Thank you so much for the photos, instead of remaining on the fence, I had to commit to the test bench rebuild will finish that this week, then waiting till later this month or September to finish my S8S when the Seasonic Prime 850watt drops, so between now and then I will uncover every stone seeking information about this amazing monoblock MOD.

If its doable, I will repurchase the block at the same time as the PSU and finish same week. thumb.gif

Wait is that a metal base below the plexi? Then of course the MOD is doable, I could even use solid rubber H-Type washer plugs and epoxy.

I can do it much easier than tapping with a G 1/4 to create threads, much easier. Some epoxies are made clear and non-yellowing over time and they will chemically BOND to plexi. so we are altogether now with this awesome MOD.

Now, I'm happy. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1554 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 03:22 PM

OK last post before I pass out.

This is what I have in mind for the test bench rad arrays.

I could make (2) of these arrays, and the test bench is NOT my work rig so would like to add two video cards 1080Ti later on with waterblocks so CPU-GPU-GPU underwater.

For now I wanted to and tell me if this is crazy or if I'm losing any cooling efficiency, I wanted to use a single 120mm Multiport along with a single 240mm Multiport instead of a single 360MP, so as to have ports at each end of the case, instead of running a single long tubing run, thought it more aesthetically pleasing to take advantage of the multiports (8) ports at each end and connect the outlet from the M8E monoblock to the 240mm rad end, then move a single tubing run either soft or hard PETG the entire length of the two rads rear to front and then access a front port and move to the XRES REVO pump top and reservoir. The single long tubing run can be placed either below the vertically mounted 120mm and 240mm rads and out of sight, OR placed along the top of the two rads to feature the white coolant.

Either way it saves me from an unsightly and extremely long run intrachassis and keeps the mobo and midchassis space nice and clean.

Setting the 120mm and 240mm head to head, top to top, so the ports are at either end of the chassis. Believed this combination of two rads would offer more options than a single 360mm MP.

post #1555 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Hardline upgrade!

Liked: 695
Nope not crazy. Mebbe a teensy bit but it's been done with systems where space isn't at a premium so no worries iBro. thumb.gif

Now go get some sleep. Sleep brings clarity. biggrin.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016 

post #1556 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post

Nope not crazy. Mebbe a teensy bit but it's been done with systems where space isn't at a premium so no worries iBro. thumb.gif

Now go get some sleep. Sleep brings clarity. biggrin.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

I agree, my only concern would be the point where the two res' meet. Is there enough clearance on the side mount for the ends of the rads to fit?

post #1557 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexpot View Post

I agree, my only concern would be the point where the two res' meet. Is there enough clearance on the side mount for the ends of the rads to fit?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It wouldn't mount to my CaseLabs drop in mount. The gap between the two rads would be too large, but with modding or a different mount you'd be ok. Just something you'd have to account for.

My PPCS order is scheduled to arrive by end of day tomorrow. Nice! Hopefully those radiator mounts are waiting for me at home right now...
post #1558 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM

I have (2) CaseLabs external 360mm rad mounts and (1) CaseLabs internal 360mm lateral or drop in or side mount whatever we want to call it.

BOTH would require slight modification (to line up the mounting holes) and mount the 120mm + 240mm MultiPort array.

Like the EK UNI D5 mount, I would need to mark and take to Jeremy at PPCS and pay him $20 or whatever. Not so bad since all modifications would be hidden by either rad or fans, would still look amazing.

I'm testing the Blacknoise fans, will place some graphs up tomorrow, they spin at lower rpms than say the Sanyo Denki Industrials and are a bit lighter in overall mass.

Also seem to push slightly less air at the same rpm as their Sanyo counterpart.

They are in a nutshell what you would suppose as a hybrid between the current eLoop fan as we know it and the normal Industrial fan lines from Nidec and Sanyo and Delta.

They do not weigh nearly as much, yet maintain the same basic design, push slightly less air and are much quieter.

Held the Hardware Labs Multiport baby rad 120mm in my hand with the Blacknoise Industrial 120x25 on top in push and the rad becomes VERY cold to the touch with only 40 to 50% pwr applied off an A6 channel.

Heavy droopy eyes, brain becoming convoluted, yet still so excited. biggrin.gif

post #1559 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 PM

No reservoir mounts yet. Bah.
post #1560 of 3137 Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Only need (8) fittings for the S8 test bench update build.

...and here they are, borrowing them from Welly.

$16.95 each.

Ouch, that hurts. redface.gif

IMG_7335_zpsm3yqsqbt.jpg

Industrial Fans ROCK! smile.gif

IMG_7330_zpsv23i82aa.jpg
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page