[Mod/Build Log] * * * Wild Violet * * * - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So i recently decided to upgrade to a new case since i've honestly just gotten a bit bored of my HAF 932.
I decided ill be upgrading some other components as well while im in the process of swapping case.

I originally never had time to mod my HAF as i never wanted to leave my system running out of a cardboard box, and the case arrived on the same day my components did so i was just in a rush to build the computer lol. So at least this time around i can spend as long as i want getting things the way i want them =)

Color scheme for this build is Black White & Purple

Itll probably be 2, maybe 3 months by the time i build a system in this and actually start using it properly as im planning a few upgrades, but im waiting on some extra info and maybe availability, i just honestly cant be bothered half moving my pc over, id prefer to wait and just do the whole thing in one snap. Ive also got to order a lot of stuff from the USA (i live in Aussie) so it just takes longer for some things to rock up, wont be surprised if theres a week or two where im doing nothing but waiting for a box.

Current PC: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance - Needed the ram for work, i've since built a PC focused on a 2011 build just for work so i wont be including all of this in my new build as its a waste/just adds heat.
  • Asus P8P67Pro
  • I7 2600k @ 4.4ghz currently, can do 5 but a few games just push the temps a little over my comfort zone, im a bit finicky and dont like seeing anything hit over 75c
  • Corsair H100
  • Corsair AX1200 Gold
  • Various HDDs and SSDs
  • Currently one 580, another one is in the post as a RMA, my partner broke my third a month ago =/
  • Pioneer dvd drives

Planned PC: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  • Cosmos 2
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
  • Asus Maximus V Extreme
  • I7 2600K @5ghz
  • Corsair AX1200 Gold
  • Getting a new 240gb SSD as im sick of my 120s. Brand undecided.
  • Some HDD. Might get a new 3tb one since ill only have 5 drive spots
  • Same DVD drives
  • Aerocool strike x fan controller (already own this, just it isnt currently used in my HAF)

Considering tri sli GTX 680s, or dual or tri sli of the new GTX Titan, im leaning more towards titan however their very hard to get atm, so a big part of why im expecting the build to not be done soon is because im guessing ill head down this path and may have to wait for some decent stock to show up.

Will be doing a custom loop to cool the GPUs and CPU, thinking white tubing with purple coil on it, i really like those white bitspower fittings as well, though their expensive i think i might give in and get some of those xD

Intending on running three Samsung S27A950Ds at 120hz

Planned mods:
  • Removing standard fan controller completely
  • Removing bottom HDD trays
  • Cutting out some of the bottom of the case and adding modders mesh for airflow for radiators down there
  • I will be fitting a 480 radiator in the top, a Black Ice SR1 i think. I realise this case doesnt even fit a full radiator up top, however im determined to fit one of these, so im going to cut out a big chunk of metal up there, and make some little metal brackets to hold the radiator 1-2 cm above where it would usually hang from the standard frame.
  • Custom Window
  • Going to cut out some of the sliding panels, either a v type shape like most ppl have done, or a v mixed with a x to match my strike x controller
  • Painting outside and inside
  • Custom cat decal design with acrylic on back panel
  • Modding top to fit a fat radiator
  • Sleeving

Stock Case:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

My Paint:

Left-Right
  • Standard black can, not for any actual panels, just for a couple little things
  • Clear Coat
  • Ford Wild Voilet Automotive paint (small can) this is my main purple paint
  • Dupli-color metalcast purple - ive just been testing this on some things, unsure if itll be used on the case though
  • White Automotive paint
  • Metal Primer

My Aerocool Strike X Panel painted, did this before the case arrived.

Cat Decal
I will be dremel-ing the outline of this from the back panel, will be led lit.
The paintwork itself was done with this cut out as a solid black spray paint, then i used the cut out to add some shading to it by holding it a bit further out, then ive painted over the main parts with a black paint and added some glitter, though photographing glitter doesnt really show lol.

Modders Mesh + Some stickers

Stickers are thin strips of white and diamond purple, not 100% sure what im using them for.
Thinking i could use some purple on the edges of the ram holder on the mobo though, maybe some other spots like that.

Custom Window

I did the window today, sorry forgot to take some progress pics =/
Havent cut out the second part of this side panel yet, have it all taped and measured to do so tomorrow though.

post #3 of 36 Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
First Time Build

Liked: 33
Krysin, looks like an awesome idea!
Great logo and color choices. Looking forward to seeing your progress! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyCorky
Definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of this build!
post #5 of 36 Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

So late last night after work i cut out the majority of the second part of my side panel, this morning i touched it up a bit and have joint the panels back up together, its looking great.
Ive taped up the window so i dont damage it for now, and currently its sitting in the shed resting while i wait for the automotive body filler ive put in this corner to dry 100%
Im using the filler to just add a bit of strength to the panel and adhere the two pieces together even more.

i know it looks like a bit of a mess atm, but itll clean up easily xD

Soon ill measure up the dust filter that goes over those left grills and cut that down to size hopefully.

Ive de-riveted the entire case and will start sanding/priming and painting pieces from now on. Im expecting progress to be a bit slower than id hope though since its so damn hot over here! Summer in aussieland =(

post #6 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Later yesterday afternoon i painted the HDD brackets and the bars that hold up my mid section. Ive also done my back bracket for gpus etc.
HDD brackets are white on the outside and purple on the inner side.

And here you can see my kitten Aisha as well, she loves stalking me while i work on things.

Today i cut out part of my front sliding panel and did both of my top panels.

Left; Top Sliding Panel
Middle; Control Panel
Right; Front Sliding Panel

And here you can see how the top panel lines up with the control panel when open to allow airflow through for my 4th fan on my quad radiator.

Later today after watching The Walking Dead ill be filing/sanding these and cutting the mesh down to size, then hopefully the wind here will die down and i can paint these.

post #7 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 6
Like the repaint on the Strike-X, the metallic paint seems to give it more depth. Didn't think that unit would snap apart so easily, nice.

Dig the kitten stencil, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.

Current project: Lofwyr
post #8 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Liked: 52
post #9 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 12