Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 194 Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Really awesome build.
Subscribed.

I have a very similar Weller station, I think mine may be a newer version.
I love it. I use it all the time at work to repair vehicle wiring harness etc...
It is constantly getting borrowed out of my tool box though.

The paint on the radiators came out great.
Do you have your booth set up with a fan and filter etc...?

What do you think the best flow sensor would be for the AQ6? Or is the noisy one you have the one to get?
What other sensor are good to get with the AQ6 for control?
Will your LED strips be able to interface with the AQ6?
Last question regarding the AQ6--can it also interface with regular PWM drive pumps?

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”

“Every gun makes its own tune... Alive or dead, it's your choice.”

Vin: We deal in lead, friend.
Calvera: So do I. We're in the same business.
Vin: Only as competitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 194 Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy View Post

Really awesome build.
Subscribed.

I have a very similar Weller station, I think mine may be a newer version.
I love it. I use it all the time at work to repair vehicle wiring harness etc...
It is constantly getting borrowed out of my tool box though.

The paint on the radiators came out great.
Do you have your booth set up with a fan and filter etc...?

What do you think the best flow sensor would be for the AQ6? Or is the noisy one you have the one to get?
What other sensor are good to get with the AQ6 for control?
Will your LED strips be able to interface with the AQ6?
Last question regarding the AQ6--can it also interface with regular PWM drive pumps?

That Weller has served me well over the years.

Thanks, I think the paint turned out well (even if my photography skills aren't perfected yet).

Yes, I have a homemade booth that I made out of an old trade show display that my company was throwing away. I added a gable fan (attic fan) to vent the fumes out, and 2 air conditioner/heater filters.

I have the "High Flow" sensor. It makes a tiny bit of noise, but it is an absolute encoder, meaning that you don't need to calibrate it. They make an MPS400 sensor which if you are using standard 6/8/10mm tubing, you can just use their profile in the AQ6, but if not, you will need to know what the flow of your loop is to calibrate the MPS400.

I'm going to also use 2 of the Aquacomputer D5 USB pumps. They will be able to be controlled with the AQ6 and the software. I will also be using a water temperature sensor (I have Phobia and Aquacomputer ones and they both work) so I will know that the water temp in my loop will be. The AQ6 also comes with several air temperature sensors, so I will most likely use a couple of them too.

I have a USB LED controller right now from MJS Gadgets. I might use that, or I might use the one built in to the AQ6. In order to use the AQ6 LED control with standard LED strips, you will need a little adapter to convert the AQ6's "common cathode" control over to what most LED strips are controlled by, "common anode". There is a guy in Germany who makes the boards for 18 Euro's and charges 6.5 Euro's shipping to the states. Here is more information about it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1423333/aquacomputer-aquaero-6/1400_50#post_21472105

I believe the AQ6 can control other PWM pumps. Darlene (aka IT Deva) knows more about that than I though.

Here are some pictures of my homemade paint booth:

The company was getting rid of an old 6' by 6' wide by 8' tall portable room that they used for housing electrical equipment at trade shows, so when they were just going to cut it up and throw it into the dumpster, I got inspired. biggrin.gif

While not as big as I'd like, for small painting projects like this, it is more than enough for me. Besides, it doesn't take up too much room.

Here are the two drive cages and two reservoir mounting brackets I just made with a fresh coat of "Appliance Epoxy Paint" on them. I could have just used regular Krylon, but I thought this might better match the white that was on the Switch 810 case.

While the original trade show room didn't have a roof, I just took some scrap 5/8" plywood (center) and 3/8" plywood (on either side) I had laying around and cut a 16" hole with a jig saw and mounted a 1450CFM fan that I picked up online for $69. It was basically just an attic fan. But it allows the air to be changed 5 times a minute, which is pretty good for a home made paint booth. Add 4 sets of 120watt equivalent LED lights and the booth is pretty much done.

Oh, how could I forget air filtration? Well, a couple of HVAC air filters from Home Depot and duct tape to hold them in, and the booth is pretty much complete.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Intel Expert Panel 

post #123 of 194 Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 35
Nice paint booth Knucklehead! That's some serious business right there! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 194 Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Yeah, that booth is awesome.

I was thinking about building something similar for my shop. We do not do major body work, but we are painting small things often enough to warrant a better space for painting.

And thanks a lot for the info on the Aq6.

Are you going to be using that custom board to control your LEDs? Or sticking with the USB control for now?
That USB controller must have a software interface or something?

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”

“Every gun makes its own tune... Alive or dead, it's your choice.”

Vin: We deal in lead, friend.
Calvera: So do I. We're in the same business.
Vin: Only as competitors.
post #125 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy View Post

Are you going to be using that custom board to control your LEDs? Or sticking with the USB control for now?
That USB controller must have a software interface or something?

Not sure as of right now.

While controlling it with the AQ6 does have a certain appeal, since I already own the USB controlled one, I might just stick with it.

Here is a video I shot of just some of the things that it can do ...

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Intel Expert Panel 

post #126 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
PC Gamer

Subbed. Can't wait to see the end results. Looks great, man!
post #127 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 31
Isn't that USB LED controller sweet?! I think he went for the wrong market with it. *Sage nods* Question: I was chatting over on the forums and it was alluded to there being a way to control the colors with the winamp plugin, have you figured that out per chance? I want to switch out the low tones for blue and the high tones for red so it fits my build better.
post #128 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

Isn't that USB LED controller sweet?! I think he went for the wrong market with it. *Sage nods* Question: I was chatting over on the forums and it was alluded to there being a way to control the colors with the winamp plugin, have you figured that out per chance? I want to switch out the low tones for blue and the high tones for red so it fits my build better.

I haven't really looked into it. I'm sure there is a way to "tweak it", but I just haven't had the time to mess with it.

I have gotten it to work with WinAMP, but just what you saw in the video I made.

What sort of compounds the problem is that now that WinAMP is out of business, I don't know if there will be an alternative solution to interface the "sound activation" aspect. I'll look around and see if someone is making an interface into Windows Media player or Foobar 2000 or the DivX player, etc.

There already is a stand alone program that you run that gives you a slider for the Red, Blue, and Green that you can just run stand alone in Windows. That program is really easy to use. It even has a simple scripting language that you can make color changes based on time, etc. That is how I use it 99% of the time anyway.

Maybe if I get bored, maybe I can look at seeing if I can write a driver to interface the MSJ USB-LED to be controlled the the AquaSuite software. Now THAT would be slick.

post #129 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Liked: 31
I've done a couple simple scripts too, it's easy enough for sure. Running it through AQ would be nice, and through WMP too. tongue.gif
post #130 of 194 Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Not much to report other than I got the NZXT internal USB hub in today and I sent the dimensions for the acrylic case insert out. Hopefully White Light Lasers will get back to me soon on a price and I can get that in hand.

I ordered some connectors from Lutro0 Customs and when they come in, I can make up some cables and do more sleeving.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page