Well, today was just a ball of fun... To start out, my RAM was supposed to ship today, but when I went to go check the tracking, it said it was delivered yesterday to my front door. Funny because I was home all day yesterday, no package, so either the mail man delivered it to the wrong door or someone snatched it. Either way I'm pissed. Now I have to deal with amazon and hope to God they refund me. I have some 3D printed cable wraps that were supposed to come in today as well, but those are delayed. And finally I had a UPS package supposed to come in today, which is the AIO cooler, and I checked the tracking and it was Attempted Delivery! Bull****! I swear how hard is it to read an address these days. F**k. Ok rant over.
Anyways, so I wanted to make some progress today, I really wanted to test the components before too much time has passed, so I went on down to Frys and picked up an 8GB kit of DDR4 until I can sort out my RAM delivery problem. Yay, now I can test the components. My cooler isn't in yet, so I just grabbed one of the 50 or so stock coolers I have saved up for no reason, and slapped it on there. Good to know that the stock cooler fits both 1150 and 1151 sockets.
Here I have all my components setup for testing and installation of windows. I like to install windows at this point to make sure I'm not going to have any weird driver or compatibility issues.
Ok, so this part didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I've been building computers for a long time now, I have never had a build not post/display ANYTHING. Not from integrated or the GPU. I guess I've been lucky. Note, I've never built with skylake so I wasn't sure what to expect. Long story short, the RAM I just purchased has a bad stick. This should of been the first thing I tested. Shame on me. At first I thought I had a DOA board. I was really about to start hating today if that was the case. Looks like its just the RAM that hates me, but I can live with that, everything else is working just fine.
Thought I'd show you how those sleeved front panel connectors are going to look. And if I do say so myself, those look damn good! I even went ahead and ordered some 4pin (2x2) cable combs, because why not. I was very excited to see 2 different posts for the Power LED. They have a pair of +/- posts right next to each other, and one where they are split. Makes grouping much cleaner.
Started playing with my cable color scheme. I sleeve 5" pieces of wire to help me visualize the look. (No pins, just melted on the ends to keep it on the wire. This also allows me to slide them in and out of the connector with ease) My goal for this build was to do black and white with a grey thrown in. When I put the grey and the white next to each other, they are almost indistinguishable from each other. And for a couple of reasons, I really should of used my gloves when making these "templates", if you will, to prevent them from getting dirty. Also, I'm out of white wire, so I used black. And lastly, I ordered the wrong grey. I ordered silver grey instead of charcoal grey, which would of made a way stronger contrast. Just not my day, I'm tellin ya. The pictures on the left are the [black,white,grey,black] and the pictures on the right are [black,white,white,black]. Not sure which to go with yet. Feel free to let me know your opinion.
Hey some progress! This is the drive bay cover in the thinner gauged metal. I'm fairly happy with it, but it is so malleable I would have to make a bracket to attach it to the back of the case if I want it to sit the way I want it to. I'm going to try it in the thicker metal first and see if that gives it enough strength to only have to attach it from the front. But in any case it was a good test run.
Work is already killing me this week. I hope I can get more done on it tomorrow. We'll just see how it goes, hopefully I can get the rest of my materials and parts in without incident.