[Case Mod] [Work Log] OGKwon - Chieftec Dragon Mod - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I figured I would start a thread to help keep track of my work and for anyone else who is interested. The plan is to mod my old Chieftec/Antec/Chenming "Dragon" case (blue) and give it a facelift into the 21st century. It rocks 5 different places for measly 80mm fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust, 1 side-panel) and as long as you have decent fans can get the job done albeit a little noisier for the same performance of what a 120mm fan can provide at lower RPM's.

A little backstory - This case originally housed an old Alienware case (~1999) with a Pentium 4 1.7ghz and GeForce 3 Ti500. That computer actually lasted until I wanted to build a new computer in 2009 where the case went on to house my X58 ASUS P6T, i7 920, 6gb Corsair XMS3 and a monster in both size and power draw in the GTX 285.

After BFG closed its doors and the lifetime warranty went away with it I purchased the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme that was custom fit for the GTX 285 and turned the card into a 2 slot, extremely long behemoth into a... 3 slot extremely long behemoth albeit with much better cooling now that it rocked 3 direct 92mm fans blowing across a massive heatsink. That was as far as the upgrades went for this machine until I eventually purchased a GTX 970 at the end of the summer in 2015 - which has since moved into my new build (X99 6800k).

After the new build was complete I put some energy in sprucing up the old X58 which is when I found out you could run Xeon processors in these motherboards and they overclocked like champions (never would have built a new machine had I known this). Well I pulled out another old Chieftec/Antec/Chenming "Dragon" case (silver) that used to hold a different Alienware system with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro(the one was purchased by one parent and then the other a couple years later by another parent). I cleaned up the silver case and got it prepped to house my upgraded X58 system after recently purchasing;

• Xeon W3680 6 core w/ hyperthreading overclocked to 4.2 ghz
  • Noctua NH-U14S
  • 24gb KLEVV 2800mhz RAM (running at 1800mhz CL8 1.5v)
  • Refurbished GTX 960
  • PNY CS1311 240gb SSD
  • Silverstone USB 3.0 PCIe x2 card w/ 2 19pin connectors
  • Silverstone USB 3.0 x4 + Headphone/Microphone 3.5" bay
  • A couple 2.5 and 3.5 to 5.25 mounting brackets to relocate some drives
  • 4 SilenX Effizio 80mm Fluid Dynamic Fans (UPDATE: One went bad already - 11/7/2016)
  • Evercool 5 fan splitter with Molex power connector
  • BitFenix 1 Molex to 3 Molex splitter

It cost a little more than I planned but has revitalized that computer like never before in a freshly cleaned case, added cables for some actual wire management and USB 3.0/Audio front ports (board didn't support USB 3.0 and the case didn't have any front panels - 2 birds 1 stone). I actually ended up buying a used P6X58D-E motherboard for $100 and used my old P6T in another Xeon X5670 build I put together for a friend. The Xeon's can be bought for ~$65 right now (unreal) and pack a serious punch when overclocked.

This takes me back to my now uninhabited blue case which I have decided to try my luck at modding. The initial plan is to replace the 80mm fans and cut out space on the front panel to hold 2 120mm fans + cut out space on the back panel to hold 2 92mm fans. To do this I first removed the 3.5" drive bay supports and cut the top drive bay so the bottom portion is removed, leaving me with 2 3.5" drive bays accessible. This presents a separate problem since I'll need to add a place to support the front of the drive bay since the supports are removed. The plan is to weld a piece of steel to the top of the drive bay and slice out a place in the front panel for it to stick through so it can be supported. So far I've done the preliminary cuts to be able to better measure the front panel and mark the places I'll need to cut/drill. The other places I'll be cutting is the motherboard try and provide some space for some better wire management.

Once I finish cutting everything I plan on painting the entire case... Which I'm thinking I'll need to sand everything before applying some primer and then a coat of paint... This is where I have even less experience so any guidance on that part would be greatly appreciated.

Now for the pictures!

Here are the two cases side-by-side with the silver one currently housing my upgraded X58 system;

Here's a shameless plug with pictures of the X58 system running with all of it's new toys;

And here are some shots of the blue case after I cleaned it and finished some preliminary cuts;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Hmm I just noticed there's a Case Mod "Work Logs" sub-forum. This is probably where this post belongs since... It's going to be a work log.

::placeholder for finished mod pictures::

post #3 of 84 Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenkw0n View Post

Hmm I just noticed there's a Case Mod "Work Logs" sub-forum. This is probably where this post belongs since... It's going to be a work log.

Moved it, you can also add [Case Mod] in the title if you want smile.gif

100 Million Folding Points  Foldathon Participant 2015  OCN Labs Reviewer 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

Moved it, you can also add [Case Mod] in the title if you want smile.gif

Thank you!
post #5 of 84 Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Made some cuts on the motherboard tray so I can better manage wiring... Will probably touch up the edges that aren't straight next week. Once all of the cuts are made I am planning on prepping the case for some paint... Again, any recommendations or tutorials would be greatly appreciated in this area.

post #6 of 84 Old 08-26-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Ended up purchasing some rubber edging off of ebay that should fit what I need really well;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351519098294
post #7 of 84 Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM

Liked: 1
Totally interested in this "work log",got two of fhem "Dragons",identical setups and a third one,just waiting for the ultimate "mod".
Looking forward to see what you are up to,have fun!

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
iINTEL i5-2500K
Thermalright Macho HR-02
Corsair Vengeance 4x4Gb 1600 Mhz
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II 2GB SLI
SanDisk Ultra Plus SATA 3 128GB x 2
Corsair RM850x in a Chieftec Dragon
post #8 of 84 Old 08-26-2016, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Yea I'm looking for more of these cases for parts but I'm having a hard time finding any. Too old I suppose frown.gif
post #9 of 84 Old 08-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Retired Staff

Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenkw0n View Post

Once I finish cutting everything I plan on painting the entire case... Which I'm thinking I'll need to sand everything before applying some primer and then a coat of paint... This is where I have even less experience so any guidance on that part would be greatly appreciated.

As someone that has done a few complete case mods, I highly suggest deriviting the entire chassis and painting each individual piece to get the best paint coverage and avoid runs/drips.

I also highly suggest getting a paint stripper to remove the old powder coat to save your self a ton of time and effort to remove the old paint. This item did wonders for me http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-18-oz-Stripper-ESR72/100135467

You will have to help it a little bit with a flat head screw driver to peel the paint off once it's done it's job, there will be some sanding to do but not nearly as much if did not use a stripper.

I would suggest not using a separate primer as it will cause the paint to chip off and not give good adhesion. I would look for a paint + primer in one.

Here is the mod I did to a similar case years ago, you will notice the paint chipping due to primer being used, http://www.overclock.net/t/451281/intermediate-spitfire/0_100

Here is a case mod I did a couple years ago and did not use a primer and the paint hasn't chipped on me http://www.overclock.net/t/1488307/complete-tribal-leo-syrillian-tribute/0_100

I don't reply to trolls.

RIP SyrillianWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

Woohoo!

Well done you zombie stompin', Best Buy dissin' Lion Man!

applaud.gif

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #10 of 84 Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Intel Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

As someone that has done a few complete case mods, I highly suggest deriviting the entire chassis and painting each individual piece to get the best paint coverage and avoid runs/drips.

I also highly suggest getting a paint stripper to remove the old powder coat to save your self a ton of time and effort to remove the old paint. This item did wonders for me http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-18-oz-Stripper-ESR72/100135467

I would suggest not using a separate primer as it will cause the paint to chip off and not give good adhesion. I would look for a paint + primer in one.

Yes I was looking into the whole rivet scenario and haven't decided how far I want to go with that being as I don't have the tools for them yet. I believe of a friend of mine does though so I will see if that could work. What size rivets did you use for the Antec when re-riveting it back together?

Those are some really nice case mods you did. Which paint + primer did you use in the second mod? And what kind of plastic adhesion paint would you recommend - I've heard there's no need for primer with the right paint when painting on plastic and as you already know, the front panel is plastic on these cases. I was planning on making sure everything was sanded down, though.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page