[Project]3D Aurora 570 - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 159 Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow! I didn't think I was ever going to find a mod worklog for the 3D Aurora 570...I really love mine, but those drive bays are choking off my case airflow, too. I will be following this thead with much anticipation to see how your mod turns out.

Excellent photos and text! One of the best and most thorough worklogs I've seen...great job! I'm currently planning a top blowhole for my black 570 case plus a few other mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 159 Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Commodore 64

Wouldn’t it be easier to rather just send it into a pc store and get them to do it for you. Look don’t get me wrong, it’s admirable the amount of time you’ve spent on this but with the unemployment rate in South Africa, you would be assisting with the sustainability of the economy there…!!??

Roll with the boxing3.gif's

post #33 of 159 Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM
333mhz

Liked: 2
nice thread guys ..im going your way with my 3D Aurora with both extra 2 fans .but i cant find it in EGYPT right now ..and ill replace the side panel with grilled panel.))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 159 Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impedance View Post
Wouldn’t it be easier to rather just send it into a pc store and get them to do it for you.
Zoomlolly can speak for himself about this, but IMHO, the essence of modding your case (or anything) is doing it yourself whenever possible. Part of the fun and the learning is figuring out what to do and then how to do it. Then actually doing it yourself improves your hands-on skills in all the areas you need to work to accomplish the task you've set for yourself.

You don't learn anything or get any satisfaction of accomplishment by handing off jobs to someone else—you only benefit by doing it yourself. Just my 2¢

post #35 of 159 Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 98
Quote:
Wouldn’t it be easier to rather just send it into a pc store and get them to do it for you. Look don’t get me wrong, it’s admirable the amount of time you’ve spent on this but with the unemployment rate in South Africa, you would be assisting with the sustainability of the economy there…!!??
Where is the fun in that though? He could also have bought some cheap computer for the masses, but he decided to do it for himself.

"It's not the destination, its the journey."

If you see a Clinic running around in your game, chances are it's me! Say hello!
post #36 of 159 Old 04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 10
Quote:
Dude, being from SA and all, firstly, you should know that you don't get pc shops here that do this type of stuff and secondly, you won't be creating any jobs or employing anybody by giving it to a pc store. As far as I know pc stores don't hire "case modders". Case modding projects my friend is a hobby, not a job. Peace out!

post #37 of 159 Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 13
Hey guys,
I need to do an update soon as I have finished the HDD bays. Will get to it in the next few days. Thanks for all the comments.
I am doing for the satisfaction one gets from doing something by yourself. Sorry things have been going slow but I am not actually in a rush. I am only doing this as a hobby and there is no better feeling when you see a plan come together

Mod Of The Month April 2008 

post #38 of 159 Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Networking Nut

Liked: 4
Send to computer shop? How much computer shop should charge for something like that?
Zoom i cant wait for you to finish, maybe my case will be next!!

post #39 of 159 Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 13
Hey Guys,
At last I have made a bit of progress and have the time to update this work log. I have completed the HDD bay and the Mobo tray. The mod I have done to the mobo tray is just something I want to try out. Please don’t laugh to loud and any comments are welcome.

Covered the HDD mounting rails with masking tape, so I don’t get any epoxy on them.

I used rails to position the washers.

Stuck washers over pop rivets with epoxy

Filled I the centers of washers with epoxy.

Filed down the epoxy once it was dry.

All filed down and in position

I cut out the extra mounting holes. I was worried the washers would come off…lol.

The HDD fits perfect. What a relief. I must point out I have to guide the HDD at the rear to line up with the washers at the back. This will be fine as you can reach though the HDD mounting.

Still Perfect..

All the way to the top. The HDD once in position actually “stiffens†the mounting bay.

Rail locks still work fine

Now the Mobo tray mod. The reason I have decided to do this mod is because according to Asus, my mobo dissipates the heat to the rear of the mobo.

I am going to fit a fan extracting air out to the right had side of the case from behind the CPU. Here is the link to the specs given by Asus…..http://za.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...59&modelmenu=1
Mobo tray marked out for cutting. Please ignore all the markings I made. Deep in thought…lol

My hole saw kit. Unfortunately I don’t have the right size hole saw, so I have to make a plan.

Drilled around to cut hole

Centre is out

Lots of neatening up to do.

Used hole saw to cut holes for cable management

First coat of primer on

About half an hour after I had finished the undercoat of paint, it started to rain. As luck would have it the parts were dry enough for me to move them inside, without messing anything up.

Well I will update once I have started to assemble the case again. Painting is going to take a few days. I hope to have all the parts painted by next weekend. I am on leave the following week so I will have lots of time to put the case back together and get my PC into it's new home. I will still be doing cable managment and sleeving, as well a few other little things

Later

Mod Of The Month April 2008 

post #40 of 159 Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Commodore 64

Zoom, unique solution on the HDD cage and it really opened it up—great job! That should go a long way toward balancing the airflow in the case. It will be interesting to see if what you are doing to the mobo tray lowers your temps around the CPU/NB/SB. Really appreciate the worklog you've put together so far. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page