post #491 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Ol' Ho-Bag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlastshotx View Post
hmm ok, well your way will save some time. I may add an 800grit sanding to the last primer coat just for good measure, I have a ton of 800 grit sand paper (50 sheets+). Man sanding the color coat is going to be scary, I have always been afraid of sanding the color coat . Ok well I guess I will have to see how it sprays.

I am gunna get back to sanding other parts of the case, the inside needs sanding and now that I think of it I need to sand the case doors as well.

Can't wait for tomorrow when I get all my paint
Well, sanding on the first coat of color is primarily to get dirt and trash out before the additional layers of paint 'pile' up on them. Chances are you'll sand down to the primer once or twice here anyway, no biggie.

Once you have a few layers of color, and you still want to sand it, just use very light pressure. Sanding at this stage is not like sanding primer. You're not taking paint off to even it, more or less just nicking down some of the trash and high spots to make it more even.

Edit: Other thought. Very important! More layers of thin coats is MUCH better than a few layers of thick, heavy coats.

Light passes on the coats. You don't want to get all the color even on the first pass, build it up. ALSO, push down the can trigger before you're actually aiming at the panel. Like extend your passes around 6" from the piece on both sides. This way when your can is actually on the piece it's already spraying. If you aim at the panel and then spray it tends to leave a thick spot right there.

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  20 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Overclock.net Mod Of The Month 2008-03 (March)  Overclock.net 10 Year Member  Foldathon Participant 2015 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
=^_^=

Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo_man View Post
Well, sanding on the first coat of color is primarily to get dirt and trash out before the additional layers of paint 'pile' up on them. Chances are you'll sand down to the primer once or twice here anyway, no biggie.

Once you have a few layers of color, and you still want to sand it, just use very light pressure. Sanding at this stage is not like sanding primer. You're not taking paint off to even it, more or less just nicking down some of the trash and high spots to make it more even.

Edit: Other thought. Very important! More layers of thin coats is MUCH better than a few layers of thick, heavy coats.

Light passes on the coats. You don't want to get all the color even on the first pass, build it up. ALSO, push down the can trigger before you're actually aiming at the panel. Like extend your passes around 6" from the piece on both sides. This way when your can is actually on the piece it's already spraying. If you aim at the panel and then spray it tends to leave a thick spot right there.

ah ok, well luckily I do have 1,000 grit sand paper. In the past I have tried finding a store that carried anything higher but I have never had any luck. 1,000 should be fine I think. To my understanding you almost have to sand the final coat of paint when using paint with flake in it, I guess to get the uneven-nes of the flake down.. Well I guess we will all see how this goes

Oh I also need to figure out if I should do two colors on the outside or not... What does everyone think??

-
-

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #493 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Ol' Ho-Bag

Quote:
ah ok, well luckily I do have 1,000 grit sand paper. In the past I have tried finding a store that carried anything higher but I have never had any luck. 1,000 should be fine I think. To my understanding you almost have to sand the final coat of paint when using paint with flake in it, I guess to get the uneven-nes of the flake down.. Well I guess we will all see how this goes

Oh I also need to figure out if I should do two colors on the outside or not... What does everyone think??
Auto parts stores (autozone, o'reillys etc)usually have higher than 1000grit. Look in the body repair section.

The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Chlokwork Orange

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  20 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Overclock.net Mod Of The Month 2008-03 (March)  Overclock.net 10 Year Member  Foldathon Participant 2015 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #494 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 22
Awesome car, awesome case mod!

Coming together Very Nicely now! Glad to see it get past the big bondo blob stage!
post #495 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
=^_^=

Quote:
Auto parts stores (autozone, o'reillys etc)usually have higher than 1000grit. Look in the body repair section.
hmm, I checked pep-boys and they don't have it... Autozone is rite down the street from me now, so tomorrow when I get the paint I will see if they have 1,500 or 2,000.

So repo_man, single color on the outside or two ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffsr View Post
Awesome car, awesome case mod!

Coming together Very Nicely now! Glad to see it get past the big bondo blob stage!
Thanks and Thanks

haha yeah it was definitely a big bondo blob

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #496 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Ol' Ho-Bag

Quote:
hmm, I checked pep-boys and they don't have it... Autozone is rite down the street from me now, so tomorrow when I get the paint I will see if they have 1,500 or 2,000.

So repo_man, single color on the outside or two ?

Thanks and Thanks

haha yeah it was definitely a big bondo blob
I vote for one. i think two would break up the flow of the body filler. All the seams and stuff just have a great flow to them, IMO.

Chlokwork Orange

post #497 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 84
Sweet. Its nice and smooth . I cant wait to see this one painted.

Never agrue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.

Complete - Gemini -Lian-Li PC-Q7 Mini-ITX

In Progress: ANT - NZXT Rogue SFF

Completed: Storm

Completed : Azure - A Rack Server Mod

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #498 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
=^_^=

Quote:
I vote for one. i think two would break up the flow of the body filler. All the seams and stuff just have a great flow to them, IMO.
alrite that was kind of what I was thinking, and it would be a bit easier and harder to mess up so its a plus both ways. Thanks for your input .

*edit... whoa repo_man was that nice "Forum Editor" thing below your name there a minute ago???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
Sweet. Its nice and smooth . I cant wait to see this one painted.
Thanks, I can't wait either!

Does anyone know how to change the title of my thread... I go to the first post, go advanced and change the "Title" and save... but it never changes .. what am I doing wrong????
-
-

post #499 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Ol' Ho-Bag

Quote:
alrite that was kind of what I was thinking, and it would be a bit easier and harder to mess up so its a plus both ways. Thanks for your input .

*edit... whoa repo_man was that nice "Forum Editor" thing below your name there a minute ago???

Does anyone know how to change the title of my thread... I go to the first post, go advanced and change the "Title" and save... but it never changes .. what am I doing wrong????
-
-
Nope it wasn't. Just got it set up.

As far as teh title, I don't know. I had that same problem with my Phoenix log. Ended up having to have a mod do it. PM Prosser or PJ, their the new mod's for the Mod section. (along with me and radodrill being editors)

Chlokwork Orange

post #500 of 645 Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 190
I say one color with a fade of another color around the holes.

post-flame-small.gifMissing one inside of me...Things not what they used to bepost-flame-small.gif
R.I.P. SYRILLIAN

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page