''COSMOS GTR'' Black Edition Mod 8 Rads - 6 Cores - 4 GPUs - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Bit of an update and was working on my rig all-day yesterday...made some good progress up to leak testing it

Some more painting was needed as i discovered some ugly white plugs on the two 8-PIN ATX (will be replaced with black sleeved braid versions next month since the isolating taping does not look professional)

DSC00200.jpg

power converted also taken apart for the cathode lighting and spray painted in black, may have another one since i might use 4 cathodes, depends on the setting really....

DSC00206.jpg

Noticed that the sidepanel's frame was in alu so to cover that up, also unscrewed the black screws and removed them for priming, good thing here that you can unscrew it so it makes it hassle free for painting it. once completed and back on the case you won't see anything in alu shining through where the cable openings are beside the mobo

DSC00182.jpg

some more stuff arrived, notably the Swiftech slim factor rad which was looking great inside after a few hot water washes and rinsing it with distilled water, no issue here and i have to say that the quality is much better outside and inside than the XSPC's buttkick.gif

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

PC Tool Kit arrived and it came with a nice solder hand machine, it will be very useful as I have to create some splitters Molex and 3 Pin

DSC00248.jpg

Legs back on
DSC00222.jpg

Cutting out some pieces of sound dampening material and laying out the floor where the pump comes on top

DSC00223.jpg

Sleeved the pump cables as well, i just love sleeving ;-)

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

The top needed some cable management with what i had around and it looked more or less okay, the rad will cover up most of it, one of the rad's exterior fans I had linked to the board so I can spare one more channel on the controller which are currently 12 fans with 4 splitters

The short piece of tube will be used for draining the loop, which would come in handy very soon...sniff sniff

DSC00238.jpg

testing the cathode on top, the other will be mounted on the opposite site, which looked the best imo

DSC00230.jpg

Finally time for connecting the tubes, my fingers still hurt and I am happy that i did not have more fittings to use...omg

DSC00259.jpg

Of course, CM did not spare me that 5mm to add a shroud on top so I had to use none which is a bit disappointing not having any on top as planned (without further cutting etc). Even the slim form of 34mm does not allow you to ad one shroud there in the middle.
the orientation changed due to that i should have bought more fittings which are longer in size to add a fan to the right, now the fittings are obstructing to mount any fan so that's another compromise which hurts (need to buy 2 sets of large fittings or connectors there!

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

Current cable mess there, and noticed that with the new orientation of the rad I cant use the top bays anymore, good thing my dad brings me an external DVD drive and PCI-E SSD so i don't need to use them, nice

second pump out has two silver fittings with the flow meter in it, I love silver shining but the other fittings look very decent too in this setup.

DSC00270.jpg

Time of Truth,stuffing out the inside like a turkey, just to make sure there is something running where it should not be :-)

DSC00272.jpg

Jump-starting the second PSU for leak test

Testing the LED lighting on the front mounted to the shrouds (the only 2 of the 6 planned i could do....)

DSC00278.jpg

Probably using two white LED lights instead of red, red does not cut it really for acrylic there, bit too much red, so the Twin LED's will be connected to the Aquero front Panel and the left and right will be pulsing according to heat loads, nice

DSC00284.jpg

and the two red cathodes on top will make a good visual, the dark knight is coming...

DSC00293.jpg

Couple of hours in, all looking good but i noticed some damp area around the res, at the moment i try to fix it but probably need to drain the loop and inspect the res and it's mounting to the pump, at the bottom it looks not even with the pump surface...let see today smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 15
This is looking great! For the longest time i didn't really like the cosmos cases, but that has changed with your build. Nice!biggrin.gif

"The Black Hole" - My Build

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #53 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Thanks mate, seeing your black hole is coming together as well ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
1.3ghz

eventually anyways..wink.gif It's always coming together..then apart..then together again..lol! But yea, there will be more..

"The Black Hole" - My Build

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #55 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
PC Gamer

What's the use of the Aquaero?

I ninja edit my posts a lot... Seriously, A LOT!
post-flame-small.gifThe Beast - Corsair 600T Underwater post-flame-small.gif

Clubs, quotes and such... (Click to show)

Gamertags:
Steam: TeethBrush3r
Battlefield 3: [bib] TeethBrush3r
Gamecenter: TeethBrush3r
Some other games that don't use Steam (like Minecraft): TeethBrush3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoliDD go_quote.gif

I used to be a tech guy like you, then I took a fan to the index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 go_quote.gif

A no name psu is like buying a used condom. Sure it will work, but its not exactly a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versa go_quote.gif

Looks like two rainbows had an orgy and that came out.
post #56 of 120 Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

its to measure the flow and 4 fans (out of 12) and the regulation of the two pumps later on.
Further it has a relais built in to have standby power on the front panel and Soft TCS, some other futures like 6 more temp sensors to install and basically I like the idea to have this controlled through a software on the computer screen. the front panel is connected with a USB link to the mobo (catch is I don't have enough USB ports on this board, bugga, no front USB anymore)...

more details about the aquaero:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/aq4usbpufanc.html
post #57 of 120 Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysion;12353278 
its to measure the flow and 4 fans (out of 12) and the regulation of the two pumps later on.
Further it has a relais built in to have standby power on the front panel and Soft TCS, some other futures like 6 more temp sensors to install and basically I like the idea to have this controlled through a software on the computer screen. the front panel is connected with a USB link to the mobo (catch is I don't have enough USB ports on this board, bugga, no front USB anymore)...

more details about the aquaero:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/aq4usbpufanc.html

While reading it on SideWinder I was like "Whoaa! Looks so cool! I'm definetely buying that!" But then I saw the price... :/

Gamertags:

Quote:

Quote:

A no name psu is like buying a used condom. Sure it will work, but its not exactly a good idea.

Quote:

post #58 of 120 Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Project is on hold till end of February

Successfully killed my graphics card, bugga...

Had a red message on screen that the power is not connected to the card which assumed to be over-tightened screws or a short.

After disassemble and when i wanted to remove the block one of the chip broke off due to the TIM i added on the chip and it was the chip which did not have the stepping.
I made a mistake, a costly one and i was quite upset.

Two thing I have noticed:

1. I should not put ANY TIM between the chips and the thermal pads, that stuff (Arctic MX 4) is sticking too much on it an Chips are prone to break like i just experienced (even though the manual states to make the pads more adhesive add small amount of TIM, I think this is not to recommend and would refrain from such thing.
2. My mistake I did I thought to add one more 0.55mm pad on the chip which was leveled and did not have a higher step then the other chips, mistake though because after inspecting the block I could see that the entire row of the chips next to it did not hav contact, assuming I should not have added the second pad...
3. Really make sure and double check after screwing the block on to unscrew it and check contact (as in the manual described correctly)
4. looks like over-tightened screws as well on the named chip which would be caused easily if there is one layer of pad too much :-(

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

good thing, i use a spare older 9800GT now and the CPU temps by 27 C are excellent with 31C max idle ;-)

will tweak the CPU now and OC it stable, then rethinking the loop as at current it won't fill up properly and can't bleed it either properly.
Will move the res/pump to the top and take out the HDD, need to make sort of a platform there in the next two weeks

whats more, not sure how if i want to water cool the new graphics card anymore, i am a bit worried but if i should not use any second thermal pad on named chip and no TIM on all the chips with thermal pads than it should basically work, can't be that difficult, can it?
stay tuned, cheers
post #59 of 120 Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysion;12376493 
Successfully killed my graphics card, bugga...

Had a red message on screen that the power is not connected to the card which assumed to be over-tightened screws or a short.

After disassemble and when i wanted to remove the block one of the chip broke off due to the TIM i added on the chip and it was the chip which did not have the stepping.
I made a mistake, a costly one and i was quite upset.

Two thing I have noticed:

1. I should not put ANY TIM between the chips and the thermal pads, that stuff (Arctic MX 4) is sticking too much on it an Chips are prone to break like i just experienced (even though the manual states to make the pads more adhesive add small amount of TIM, I think this is not to recommend and would refrain from such thing.
2. My mistake I did I thought to add one more 0.55mm pad on the chip which was leveled and did not have a higher step then the other chips, mistake though because after inspecting the block I could see that the entire row of the chips next to it did not hav contact, assuming I should not have added the second pad...
3. Really make sure and double check after screwing the block on to unscrew it and check contact (as in the manual described correctly)
4. looks like over-tightened screws as well on the named chip which would be caused easily if there is one layer of pad too much :-(

Sorry to hear that man! Now I kinda don't want to watercool my GPUs... frown.gif

Gamertags:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

post #60 of 120 Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mhh just need to be extra careful with the graphics card, its really sensitive and if you do a mistake like me it's all gone and another 800 Dollar too...which is kind of annoying if you a re remotely located like me and shipping takes a month...

anyways, with this card and block and mistakes experienced I would probably know what to do now so to avail of such mistakes, but i guess there is always a certain risk involved. As for the other parts of the system all a go and it worked out well as you can read, so it is just the graphics card for now...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page