post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
They call me Latty.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Send a message via MSN to lattyware
A Guide To Etching An Image Onto Your Case

This is a little guide based upon my expirences. Note I've only done this a few times, so don't trust me too far. The results speak for themselves.

OK, first off for etching/engraving you will need a dremel, or a dremel like tool, and the right kind of bit. You will need a pattern you want to draw on, the surface you are etching on, and some masking tape. Scissors will help.

Note this was just a test run on an old case, and there are pre-existing scratches on it. I recommend doing a test run on something you can expend before trying it for real, and it's probably best to do that with every design you do.

Remember, the image wants to be pretty simple and easy to see.

Now, grab the image, and cut it down to the right size, leaving a sizeable area around the actual image, then masking tape it down, trying to make it as flat as possible.

Now you need to make a load of strips and put them down over the image. You should be able to see through the masking tape onto the image below. Try not to overlap, and put on the strips so facing the way the majority of your lines are facing if possible. Crossing over strips is annoying.

OK, now put in the right bit. For the first part, I use a ball one, this is big enough that you can get through everything well, and you don't have to worry too much about the width of it, as it covers a nice area.

Turn it on as slow as you can, and turn the surface so you will be tracing your first line going in the same direction as the dremel is spinning.

And from there on, it is pretty much the same. Add masking tape to keep any parts that flap up held down, and go around the entire image. It can be disconcerting, as you can't see how you are going, but stick with it.

Once you have gone over all of the lines, take off all of your supporting tape. Check you havn't missed anything while doing this. Once done, remove the base image if you are happy.

And that's done! Or not. It's unlikely to be exactly how you want it, where you have gone too lightly in an area, or grazed an area, and the lines are unlikely to be smooth. Go over any obvious bits you want done again to clean them up.

Once you have done that, clean it up some more with a smaller bit. The cone shaped bit is the one I use, this has a sharp point and is great for getting nice edges.

Note this was just a test run on an old case, and there are pre-existing scratches on it. Those were not caused by my work just now! I recommend doing a test run on something you can expend before trying it for real, and it's probably best to do that with every design you do.

See this thread on my switch for another bit I have done.

Have fun!
l V l likes this.

Lattyware | Main PC: Shinobu | Gaming: Nodoka | Fileserver: Index | HTPC: Hanako
Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge. | Using LVM
Scratched Disc? | Guide To LAN Parties | Writing a GUI application in Python/Glade
Etching an image into your case. | Wireless Access Points: Easy wireless networking.
A Member Of The OCN Anime/Manga Club
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." --Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 38
not to shabby, id actually do it to mine if i had the tools
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Science. Unfailable. Lol.

Liked: 435
Send a message via AIM to AMD+nVidia Send a message via Skype™ to AMD+nVidia
Hmmmmm.... now I really wanna do this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 AM

Liked: 116
Old, but I think this is pretty useful
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 123
Send a message via MSN to LIU_ZOMG
lack of dremel ;-;

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayNobleman go_quote.gif
Counting cards isn't illegal, it's just frowned upon.

Like masturbating on an airplane.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 114
Send a message via AIM to xquisit
Amazing!

"I'd rather die like a man than live like a coward." -2pac

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version