Cooling help; Thermaltake V3 Black - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Okay, so I just changed out my case to a Thermaltake V3 Black. I chose this case for aesthetics and size.
What's inside:
Intel I5-2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB
Corsair VX550
EVGA 550TI Fermi
LG BluRay
LG DVDRW
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
Hitachi 500gig

Current Cooling;
CPU-Stock(I know, you can slap me later)
3x120mm case fans, 1 on lower grill, 1 on front grill, 1 at back exhaust

I need suggestions to cool this system properly, taking airflow and fan placement into consideration. I would like low, med and high price range suggestions, and where to place the fans. I have been doing some research on how to cool this case and am finding a lot of conflicting information. I do not plan on doing benchmarking or serious overclocking with this PC. It is used to play BF3, as a media server/HTPC combo. I don't have a preference for water/air.

I know enough about computers to get by, but I turn to the pros for advice in areas of which I am lost. Thank you for your advice.

James...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 78

I had this case for my P4 internet beater and was using all Noctua fans except on the H50 and up top.  I had 3 NF-P12s, one lower front intake, one on the side panel intake, and one on the bottom intake.  I had an NF-P14 FLX jammed in three of the 5.25" bays as an intake.  I found the Noctuas didn't make that annoying whine when placed close to the round grill perforations on this case. I'm was using the stock fan for the H50 and a Scythe 120mm x12mm slim fan up top in the forward placement.  Regular 25mm fans usually don't fit up top because of RAM/CPU cooler clearance issues.  With this configuration, I was able to fold on the power hungry/blazing hot P4 Prescott 3GHZ/HT and never got above 50c.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #3 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 14
I've built a few of these in the past year and I seem to recall that the placement of the top two fan holes in the case would make it difficult to mount a 240 rad. Also as I recall theres not a lot of room between the rear 120mm fan and the I/O shield plate so no 120mm rad in the back. What you could do is stick something like a silver arrow in there for some serious air cooling. There might not be room for push/pull. You could add two 120mm fans in the roof blowing out or try them blowing in and see if there's any improvement in temps. The top corner at he back of the case is pretty tight so be sure to think of the room if you do mount fans in the roof. Also forget about getting a fan for the door panel. I bought a Corsair A50 a while back and it cooled as well as a CM V-8 and it's dirt cheap but it doesn't have a fan controller. Your RAM is tall so you may want to stick with the A50 or maybe a V-6 GT? you've got a lot of mid-high end options for a single tower cooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post

the placement of the top two fan holes in the case would make it difficult to mount a 240 rad. Also as I recall theres not a lot of room between the rear 120mm fan and the I/O shield plate so no 120mm rad in the back

Yeah, it seems like they could have put about 5 seconds more thought into it and offset the upper openings away from the board chassis.

post #5 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM

I also found that the screw holes are at different depths between the two spots at the top.

You could get creative and mount the radiator an inch closer to the door by drilling new holes and you'd get an H100 in there I'm sure.

I've been looking into other budget cases for my builds and what I've found is the Azza Triton 401 and Apex VORTEX3620 of course the old HAF 912 is always a good choice if you need space. I'd say try and return the case or sell it and go for a HAF or something that can be used for water cooling eventually. I'm not sure how valid my advice is though. If you stick with air in that case for a while maybe something new will show up that you have to have and you can upgrade. For now maybe air cool. As for the Azza Triton I haven't built from one yet but I plan on it in the near future.

post #6 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1
I use 212+ with this

post #7 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

I previously had an Antec 1100, which I sold. I have built a custom home theater cabinet which houses my PC, Xbox 360, Receiver, printer, subwoofer and UPS. So, the reason for the smaller case is for better fitment of all pieces. The case also needs air to be able to flow around it while inside the cabinet. The front of the cabinet has a mix of frosted glass and Speaker grill cloth to allow for proper ventilation. Trust me, if it was just a gaming PC in my "rec" room, that I don't have, I would have stayed with the 1100. I sold with it an h100, because I was doubtful of my ability to be able to fit the beast into the case.

post #8 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltr View Post

I use 212+ with this
No clearance issues with memory? Are all slots available?
What case fans, placement, direction?

post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

@Darkcyde, what kind of Mods need to be done to fit the H50, "cleanly" into the case? Also, since I am using 2 opticals, the 140mm, won't work. Two 80mm, side by side would though, right?

@Buttermilk the A50 was one thought I had. The two CM coolers you recommended look too big for my config, wouldn't they protrude over the memory slots?

@Everyone, my mobo has 1xcpu header, 2xfan header, 1xpower fan header. Should I use a fan controller for the extra fans? Splitters? Full power to molex?

post #10 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coc_james View Post

No clearance issues with memory? Are all slots available?
What case fans, placement, direction?

If it's a two stick kit of RAM you should have room. As for the roof you might even be able to get away with two 120s just measure and see if you have about 26mm to the roof from the mobo.

I personally like building more with the APEX Vortex than the v3 for the same size and price because it has a better look to it and 4 usb and esata on the front panel but there are no fan holes for the roof. If you wanted an overclocking case that isn't very big the bitfenix shinobi or the fractal R3 seem like better (more expensive) choices.

I think tall RAM and the mobo tray placement leaves much to be desired. Measure the clearance at the top for 25mm X 120mm fans. If you can get them in and face them blowing down you can force the heat out of the back and side of the case. The argument for hot air rising out of the case is valid but forcing air in with 3 X 120mm fans with only 1 X 120mm exhaust means there will be adequate pressure moving the hot air anywhere it can escape (side/back). The air cooler can be as tall as you want with a single fan really. You could probably fit a Scythe Ninja 3 and face one fan blowing across the tower to the back of the case and one sucking air down towards the bottom of the case (see below). If you had some high pressure and high CFM fans you can get alot of performance out of your case. The max cooling performance all depends on how much noise you can deal with having.

coc_james likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page