Antec Fusion: HTPC Case Review - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I was between minds whether to post this in AMD build-logs or here. But as I won't really be OC'in it (well not much, its an addiction ) I'll do a review of the case as I build in it. I might also make a video for the tutorial section.

First off reasons for buying this case:
1. Size: I needed a case that would accommodate uATX
2. Cost: For a new HTPC case with such a good PSU (430w) and is pretty much the HTPC version of the P180 this can't be beat. The silverstone equivalents are nearly twice the price.
3. Look: It does look sexy, with that brushed alu finish

I'll post pictures tomorrow as I work on getting it up and running for now heres the main site and a picture to start off:

Antec Fusion

Sig designs | Build Log: Antec P180b | Lapping Guide: Tuniq, Opty 165, HR-05 | OC LOG: Opty 165, Mushkin RAM, 7900GTX

HTPC: HAL 1.0
CPU: E6600 @ stock
RAM: 2x1GB Mushkin HP6400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965QM DS2
GFX: eVGA 8800GTX
HDD: WD 500GB SATA w/ Vista 32bit
Case: Lian li PC-V300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Ok heres some intial pics. I have 2 builds on the go at the moment which is slowing me down. Out of interest here is what I have chosen to put in it:
  1. Antec Fusion HTPC Case - 430HE Watt PSU
  2. AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz Socket AM2
  3. TwinMOS DDR2 PC5300 1024MB Dual Pack KIT (2x512MB)
  4. Asus M2N-MX, nForce410+GeForce 6100, Socket-AM2, m-ATX
  5. 2 x WD Caviar SE 160GB 16MB cache SATAII
  6. IDE BenQ DVD RW

First thoughts:
Case is bigger than imagined. Its very well built, no sharp edges. Advertising on Antec site that said there was room for an IR reciever beside the internal VFD is completely false. The only thing you could maybe fit there would be the photo diode. Reset button was rather sticky. I had to actually take the front off to push it back out.

Sig designs | Build Log: Antec P180b | Lapping Guide: Tuniq, Opty 165, HR-05 | OC LOG: Opty 165, Mushkin RAM, 7900GTX

post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Overclock.net Original Gangsta, since 2004

Liked: 806
Very nice!! I'm looking forward to the rest of your write-up!

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

So I got around to installing the HW. Which was a doddle (which is a good and bad thing, i'll get to that later)

The harddrives are positioned upright in the front compartment and are held in place by 4 rubber washers at the screw holes, there are screws also included that can be used to secure them also, these screw in through the middle of the washers. The mobo was very easy to screw in place also. As for cable management, you can see from the pictures that the included pull ties on the side of the motherboard compartment helped ALOT to keep all the cables together, including all the USB, audio I/O, pwr/rst headers, SATA cables, PATA cable and the main power cables.

Once I got the stock CPU HSF installed with the TIM replaced with AS5, I booted her up. My first thoughts are that she is a little bit noisier than I would of liked, the 12cm Tri-Cool fans make more noise than expected on low and the included 430w PSU is FAR from silent. Still, it isn't deafening, I just couldn't sleep with it on in the room.

Talking about room... I severely underestimated how large this case was going to be, even with using a uATX mobo, the case, due to the dividing of compartments and the full sized PSU is nearly the same size as my current tower by Qtec. IMO there is a LOT of wasted space inside this case, it seems more suited for a HIGH END HTPC, i.e. one also used for gaming, as their is a good 4-6cm of clearance height wise that could easily of been removed, if the HDDs where put lying down instead of on there side. Also the case could also be 2-4cm shorter in length.

I am going to have to re-evaluate whether or not i'm going to keep this case, or go for one a little bit more economical on its footprint

lightsource likes this.

post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Ooooohh

Liked: 438
Yea the HE Power Supplies are full sized power supplies not mATX correct?

And this looks like a regular case that was lied down. Seems kind of big from pics that YOU took, the Antec pics didn't make it seem as big as it is.

Good review nonetheless.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsource View Post
Good review nonetheless.
Agreed. Hope to see more from you in the future
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 09:35 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsource View Post
Yea the HE Power Supplies are full sized power supplies not mATX correct?

And this looks like a regular case that was lied down. Seems kind of big from pics that YOU took, the Antec pics didn't make it seem as big as it is.

Good review nonetheless.
It is larger than it looks, I built one about a month ago. It is worth it, the 120mm fans are quiet and move alot of air, the customizeable front VFD is really great, and the seperate compartments are good too. The drive cover doesnt hang up either, which i liked.

good job on the case, it is a very hard case to do cable management on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary go_quote.gif
so boobs get you rep? hmm i must think about this farther
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubtleKnife go_quote.gif
wanna switch to amd? we have cookies!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

lol, yeah most people find it IS larger than it looks. Although most Antec products seem to be like that I remember looking at my P180 and then at my puny computer desk and wondering how I ever thought it would fit.

Anyway i've done a visual tour and uploaded it to this site. You can check it out at the link below:

Antec Fusion: Visual Tour

Like is said in the video description i've since sold the case and kept the hardware as it was simple too big for my needs (Ireland is a small country you know?) and i'm now getting a Antec NSK1300. I'll post another review once I get it.
Bisley_Bob likes this.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2006, 10:21 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 6
I remember when I got my P180, freaking massive. Awesome case, I love the organization and the near-excessive ventialition and case fans.

But yeah, it's big. Not sure I'd buy it again

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page