Originally Posted by sconzen
My lil' Hardon. Yes... I'm that unoriginal.Under the hood...
CPU: i5 - 4690k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI
RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Viper III Red
GPU: ASUS GTX 760 2GB
OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 1TB Western Digital Blue
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60SE
CPU: idle - 23 - 26 , load - 35
Motherboard: 25 - 28, load - 35
GPU: 35 - 37, load - 80 - 85
Cram as much crap into this thing as possible.
Must use both my drives from old system, the ssd for OS and HDD for mass storage.
Must use Corsair H60.
Don't break stuff.What I did
Attempted fitting the H60 above the drive cage initially, using tips from this thread to trim the fans to clear mobo. This is very mobo specific though and would not give me enough clearance even with RAM modules removed. So I scrapped that idea and went straight to removing the harddrive cage, as I wasn't planning on getting an optical drive for it anyway.
Used the mobo driver disks to shimmy and remove the front panel to be able to mount the radiator where the old cage was.
Reattached the font panel using 4 velcro strips for 2 reasons. a) future removal for more possible mods and b) spacing to allow airflow for rad fan.
H60 backplate fits perfectly behind mobo and mobo tray. Even had room to route the cpu power cable behind mobo for cleaner cable management.
Attached HDD and SSD to rear of case using velcro, again for future removal and because the cage is gone there wasn't really any other place to fit a 3.5" drive.
Could have mounted SSD at front of case near PSU but due to power cable limitations of the included PSU, and having both drives was a must have goal for the time being, I mounted them to the rear.Future plans
PicturesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- Replace the ACX graphics card with a blower style card. Waiting to find a GTX 970 with titan cooler (they DO exist, just not in canada apparently) or the 960 when it comes out and if it has the cooler.
- Figure out better mounting for the drives. Preferably get a 2nd SSD with enough space to replace the 1TB HDD completely.
- Some form of fan splitter/adapter. Currently only 3 of the 4 fan components are being used (cpu pump, cpu fan and 1 exhaust)
- Higher quality fans, as quiet as possible preferably.
- LEDs? maybe
- Figure out a sturdier mounting option for the front panel, as it's secure but still a bit flimsy. Might add additional padding in the middle area to prevent flex.
Sorry no build log pictures. Love looking at them, but I have never been the patient type and couldn't be bothered stopping to take pictures along the way.Final Thoughts
Love this case. I know my name isn't really clever. Most builds I've seen have played off the Hadron Collider, or picked something completely different. Everyone's tiptoeing around it, but nobody went for it. That's my... Lil' Hardon.
IMO the PSU cable lengths were fine for my components. The only thing that bothers me is that the 4pin for cpu cable has 2x4 pins, so now theres a 4 pin connector just kind of... dangling there.
Edit: formatting. put pictures in spoilers. Updated temps....yikes on that GPU