Forum Jump: 

post #1551 of 3192 Old 08-31-2016, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

Well first lets put to rest the misconceptions of reddit and their apocalypse theories, I have never seen a post that the riser cable has caused permanent hardware failure and even though I don't own the case I have followed this thread from the very beginning.

Second, yes the stock riser cable has had A LOT of problems. If yours has a problem then let thermaltake know, they seemed to have been pretty good with getting them replaced. There are also a lot of 3rd party riser cables that have, and have not, worked and you can search the thread for those links, or hopefully someone can post them.

In the end it seems everyone who had an issue with the riser cable has gotten it resolved one way or another, so I would not let that steer you away if this is the case that you truly want.

regarding fps drops; tried 3 different risers from Tt, none of themthem even worked in pcie 3.0, only in 2.0. when finally got over it and connected my gpu straight to the mobo fps is much more constant and game smoother. This happened after my gpu died...I baked it in an oven and it works again but I actually thought about the riser as the cause of it. I don't necessarily blame the riser for it but something to think about, for some reasons my gpu never worked properly with the riser(which means conditions; volts, signals etc were different than normal) and it might just have shortened its life.

Riser: good for looks but that's it pretty much. Never going back to that configuration, I'm gonna miss the look of my beatiful acrylic block but at least have decent gaming experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1552 of 3192 Old 08-31-2016, 08:15 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzammil84 View Post

try "cable p clips", a lot of search results with colour(black and white nylon) and size choice.

yep found them ordered some, thanks
post #1553 of 3192 Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 AM

Liked: 0
A couple of months ago, I saw this case while surfing the net at work (bored) and thought it was a cool concept. Told my brother about it and he ended up picking one up for me. I was caught more than a little unprepared, so no planning went into what I was going to do with it.

At the time, I was using a Lian-Li microATX case. I made the move to the P5 and couldn't stop laughing at all of the open space (I had never done any watercooling). The microATX mobo didn't help much either. After a few days, my OCD got to me and I started planning out the new rig, complete with a custom acrylic loop. I spent more than a few hours browsing this thread for ideas (thank you everyone that posted here) and acquired the parts piece by piece as I had the funds. I started off with the core components (Mobo/RAM/CPU/GPU) and once they were in, up and running, I almost called it quits right there.....until the OCD kicked back in. Half of the case was still empty.

Here is how it turned out. Again, this is my first water cooling loop period. I had to modify a couple of my runs on the fly due to the initially planned run(s) were longer than 500mm and one spot where I had to "tweak" a tube to make it seat properly (I was off on my z axis bend by about 2mm) without the insert that prevents it from collapsing. There's a slight indent on that point which bugs the crap out of me, but it's not drastic by any means.

Panic Slowly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1554 of 3192 Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM
PC Gamer

[/quote]

nice work, how does it feel to your old one
post #1555 of 3192 Old 08-31-2016, 02:10 PM

Liked: 0
A little heavier haha. The nerves from having 12 points of failure that could hose the whole pc are starting to die down. It's dead quiet when I switch the rad fan speed to quiet mode and not much louder when it's on not-so-quiet mode. CPU temps are hovering around 28-30C idle and don't really go above 40-45C under load.

Panic Slowly!
post #1556 of 3192 Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 AM
PC Gamer

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyckos View Post

A little heavier haha. The nerves from having 12 points of failure that could hose the whole pc are starting to die down. It's dead quiet when I switch the rad fan speed to quiet mode and not much louder when it's on not-so-quiet mode. CPU temps are hovering around 28-30C idle and don't really go above 40-45C under load.

same as mine, but yeah I have 44 ish fittings on mine and I had many little leaks when I first filled it and now I have non, but I made mine for the grand kids of course. kept all the pipe in the back. very hard build.
post #1557 of 3192 Old 09-01-2016, 03:42 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post

]
same as mine, but yeah I have 44 ish fittings on mine and I had many little leaks when I first filled it and now I have non, but I made mine for the grand kids of course. kept all the pipe in the back. very hard build.

it's not that hard. Much harder is to fit this baby on the front tongue.gif
build complete, max load temps 6°C over ambient biggrin.gif
# steroids build

post #1558 of 3192 Old 09-01-2016, 06:12 AM
733mhz

Liked: 77
Nice mug!

post #1559 of 3192 Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 25

So for those still having problems with the Riser cable here is some advice, ThermalMike sent me a new one a few months ago and ever since it has been working properly until recently, the old I couldn't even use PCI-E 3.0 and it would crash in-game 5 mins in, the one he sent me solved my issues until last week when it started to acting up, my guess is the shielding isn't the best specially due to the position the cable is in the edges of the shielding start to open up, so I went McGyver on it, and its been working flawlessly, what you have to to is with electric tape and aluminium foil, wrap it up 3 times and use vinyl wrap to finish it so you can't see the aluminium foil off course, also even before you even put any aluminium foil on it, put some electrical tape on the pcp on both side so there isn't any risk of the aluminum foil touching the circuitry on the pcb, after that your set. have fun.

Also be careful when mounting it back the riser will be very stiff....

MuddyPaws likes this.

Gamer Tags:
Steam: 404frednotfound / BF3/BF4/BF1: FredNotFound404
post #1560 of 3192 Old 09-01-2016, 09:18 AM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzammil84 View Post

it's not that hard. Much harder is to fit this baby on the front tongue.gif
build complete, max load temps 6°C over ambient biggrin.gif
# steroids build
love your build man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Nice mug!
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

So for those still having problems with the Riser cable here is some advice, ThermalMike sent me a new one a few months ago and ever since it has been working properly until recently, the old I couldn't even use PCI-E 3.0 and it would crash in-game 5 mins in, the one he sent me solved my issues until last week when it started to acting up, my guess is the shielding isn't the best specially due to the position the cable is in the edges of the shielding start to open up, so I went McGyver on it, and its been working flawlessly, what you have to to is with electric tape and aluminium foil, wrap it up 3 times and use vinyl wrap to finish it so you can't see the aluminium foil off course, also even before you even put any aluminium foil on it, put some electrical tape on the pcp on both side so there isn't any risk of the aluminum foil touching the circuitry on the pcb, after that your set. have fun.

Also be careful when mounting it back the riser will be very stiff....

very good advice dude.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page