The Cooler Master 690 Club - Page 1069 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #10681 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Having problems here with my build, it involves the CM 690 II Advance and MSI Big Bang Trinergy Motherboard and the Corsair H50.

I can not for the life of me get the IO shield to align properly with the ports on the Mobo. The PS2 ports in particular are rendered useless, some of the USB/ESATA are to as when mounted the board is clearly uneven with a "slope" going in the direction of the PS2 Ports and the PCB more visible then it should be at one end of the IO shield then the other.

At first i thought it was a clearance issue with the H50 backplate interacting with the 690 motherboard tray.. I even removed the sticky pads from the H50 back plate to gain a mm or two extra clearance. This did not help. I also though it may be to do with the Chipset/VRM heatsink mount/pins on the back of the board. This after further investigation is also unlikely.

Running the system without the IO Shield is not something I am comfortable with at all so that is not and should not be what i have to do to resolve this.

At this time I am pointing the blame at ether the motherboard or the case. But Im not sure what to do about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs1nX View Post
Having problems here with my build, it involves the CM 690 II Advance and MSI Big Bang Trinergy Motherboard and the Corsair H50.

I can not for the life of me get the IO shield to align properly with the ports on the Mobo. The PS2 ports in particular are rendered useless, some of the USB/ESATA are to as when mounted the board is clearly uneven with a "slope" going in the direction of the PS2 Ports and the PCB more visible then it should be at one end of the IO shield then the other.

At first i thought it was a clearance issue with the H50 backplate interacting with the 690 motherboard tray.. I even removed the sticky pads from the H50 back plate to gain a mm or two extra clearance. This did not help. I also though it may be to do with the Chipset/VRM heatsink mount/pins on the back of the board. This after further investigation is also unlikely.

Running the system without the IO Shield is not something I am comfortable with at all so that is not and should not be what i have to do to resolve this.

At this time I am pointing the blame at ether the motherboard or the case. But Im not sure what to do about this.
That sounds a bit strange. I thought it was a form factor standard for the placement of the I/O section to be positioned just right in relation to the placement of the motherboard. May I ask why you're not comfortable running the system without the I/O shield?

R.I.P. Syrillian - August 13, 2011

I am a girl

No I will not make you a sandwich.
post #10683 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Use the I/O shield that comes with the motherboard.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10684 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Use the I/O shield that comes with the motherboard.
I am using the IO shield with motherboard.
post #10685 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderm0nkey View Post
May I ask why you're not comfortable running the system without the I/O shield?
For dust/dirt and risk of damage reasons. I would not feel comfortable reaching around the back of my system to plug/unplug things knowing that if i make a wrong move a plug/finger could hit something its not ment to. That and it just looks wrong/ugly to.
post #10686 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
733mhz

This situation is complicated by the fact I can not return ether the motherboard nor case as being unsuitable as i have used/unpacked them enough to be unable to use the 7 day distance selling regs(I am in UK) to return as unwanted.

So im more then a little screwed here it seems.
post #10687 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 181
Quote:
For dust/dirt and risk of damage reasons. I would not feel comfortable reaching around the back of my system to plug/unplug things knowing that if i make a wrong move a plug/finger could hit something its not ment to. That and it just looks wrong/ugly to.
Quote:
This situation is complicated by the fact I can not return ether the motherboard nor case as being unsuitable as i have used/unpacked them enough to be unable to use the 7 day distance selling regs(I am in UK) to return as unwanted.

So im more then a little screwed here it seems.
Is it safe to assume you have tried putting the I/O shield on the mobo before putting it in the case to make sure that the shield does actually fit? If it doesn't then it is the fault of the manufacturer and I would recommend you contact them and let them know. Otherwise, must be the case/mobo combination.

This probably doesn't help at all but I've been running my current system for months without the I/O shield on and I don't have any issues with dust or poking things that weren't meant to be poked.. (dirty minds...). Probably helps that I have a massive heatsink below the ps2 ports though so I get better airflow without the I/O shield anyway.

R.I.P. Syrillian - August 13, 2011

I am a girl

No I will not make you a sandwich.
post #10688 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 153
post #10689 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked: 2154
post #10690 of 19729 Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_b View Post
Hard Drive dock is now a Zune dock.
Excellent idea, nice work!

Canon Rebel XSi|EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS|EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS|EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro|EF 50mm f/1.4

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page