The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club - Page 1456 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #14551 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quick fan question(s):

First are the decreased life expectancy and potential rpm of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-120mm-Silent-Value/dp/B000O8I474/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308496712&sr=8-3"]these fans[/ame] acceptable versus [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-120mm-Green-Case/dp/B0026ZPFC0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1308496712&sr=8-7"]this one[/ame]. It's hard to beat 4 fans for the price of 1 1/3. I'm going to be using this as a bottom intake mount and may have it hooked up to a control. Also, does pwm matter at all outside the realm of mobo headers (i.e. using with a control)?

Also, would [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-R4-LUS-07AB-GP-MegaFlow-200mm/dp/B002FRLEIS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308498295&sr=8-2"]this[/ame] be sufficient as a side intake fan mounted on the mesh?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Damnit! Sorry for the double post.

EDIT2: Is it normal for the idle cpu temp to drop after a few days? Mine started out around 40C for the first day and as of last night in this morning it's been settling in the mid to low 30C range and still dropping. Is my cpu imploding or is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blech;13926969 
I agree with you. I think You hit it right. IMHO the HAF series can really push the cooling envelope due to perforated design when one chooses to air cool. Though not bad with the space inside when crossing over to LC either. If I did I would be choosing the 600T to get the full acrylic window. It's just so sexy. If I do choose to go 600T I have decided it will be a deeper investment since I will end up LC'ing that one if so. On the other hand
I do like the idea of having twin HAF series cases next to eachtoher. Like two freight trains ready to go.

I want to run pure white lighting this time; almost that Xenon HID look. I game with rather large headphones (Corsair HS1A's) on so loudness from fans doesn't bother me and I really like aircooling now days. The more I weigh the pros I lean towards HAF-X vs. a pure aesthetic allure of the 600T with the MNTPC window. I really want to leave the complete window alone but I really benefit from having the wall of fans on the HAF evacuating the heat bloom on my MSI TWIN FROZR's.

I have read some threads with heat comparisons when people transfer the internals over to their new 600T reporting considerably higher temps than in their old case. An Antec 900 example comes to mind. So many conditions/parameters running through my head. If I find a solution that is cost effective that yields the aesthetics of the windowed 600T it's still in the running as I am def not feeling the new 500R/400R they just released.

If there were a brushed aluminum (800D'esque/Lian Li'esque) version with T6061 Aluminum Billet front panel of the HAF available it would def be a no brainer....Well for my taste anyways. smile.gif

I went through a lot of cases over the past 12 years or so, no real pattern to some of my choices, just wanted to try a different one for the next build, sometimes before the next build:p
Ranging from the cheaper CM Centurions from several years ago, a couple Lian-Li's, some Antecs, (had both the 900 and 902), most recent case was a 690II. There were a few others, the most expensive being a CM 832 Stacker.
The Stacker was the case that I should have hung on to, being an aluminum full-tower, two psu locations, removable motherboard tray, four-fan side tray, etc. But I still wanted to move on.

I hope to stick with the 932 for a good while, so far my case fetish hasn't acted up yet:rolleyes:

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #14553 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Hardline upgrade!

Liked: 695
Only way I take my baby outside is if she's got plenty of Distilled coolant to get along without me if she gets lost for a day or so. tongue.gif

I love those shots and it looks like the gauntlet was thrown down at my feet. Must retaliate. hmmsmiley02.gif

biggrin.gif

~Ceadder:drink:

10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14554 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest;13927460 
Quick fan question(s):

First are the decreased life expectancy and potential rpm of these fans acceptable versus this one. It's hard to beat 4 fans for the price of 1 1/3. I'm going to be using this as a bottom intake mount and may have it hooked up to a control. Also, does pwm matter at all outside the realm of mobo headers (i.e. using with a control)?

Also, would this be sufficient as a side intake fan mounted on the mesh?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Damnit! Sorry for the double post.

EDIT2: Is it normal for the idle cpu temp to drop after a few days? Mine started out around 40C for the first day and as of last night in this morning it's been settling in the mid to low 30C range and still dropping. Is my cpu imploding or is this normal?
It's tough to choose fans sometimes because of cost vs performance. I have used a lot of CM fans, still do, but mainly because of the bang for the buck factor. If I was wealthy, I'd use these:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27971
but they are a bit too much for my budget.
I am tempted to say to go with the R4's in your link, I have a ton of them running now, and they aren't too bad. More expensive than the 4-fan "value pack", but still reasonable, and sometimes a bit less on sale.
I wouldn't worry about the pwm part, and the 200mm you linked looks like the correct oem CM fan for the 922.

Cpu's do implode sometimes, as long as your temps stay above -50C, you won't get too much condensation:p
Couldn't resist being a smart arse. I see varying cpu idle temps on different days but usually when the ambient outside temperature drops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman;13927907 
Only way I take my baby outside is if she's got plenty of Distilled coolant to get along without me if she gets lost for a day or so. tongue.gif

I love those shots and it looks like the gauntlet was thrown down at my feet. Must retaliate. hmmsmiley02.gif

biggrin.gif

~Ceadder:drink:
Based on your listed location, that may be difficult:D

post #14555 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerComissar;13928028 
It's tough to choose fans sometimes because of cost vs performance. I have used a lot of CM fans, still do, but mainly because of the bang for the buck factor. If I was wealthy, I'd use these:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27971
but they are a bit too much for my budget.
I am tempted to say to go with the R4's in your link, I have a ton of them running now, and they aren't too bad. More expensive than the 4-fan "value pack", but still reasonable, and sometimes a bit less on sale.
I wouldn't worry about the pwm part, and the 200mm you linked looks like the correct oem CM fan for the 922.

Cpu's do implode sometimes, as long as your temps stay above -50C, you won't get too much condensation:p
Couldn't resist being a smart arse. I see varying cpu idle temps on different days but usually when the ambient outside temperature drops.

Yeah that fan is a lil' out of my budget. So you're saying go with the single led fan? You said "R4" and as far as I can tell they are both labeled R4 fans with different specs.

Well, speedfan seems to think my cpu is -60C, so maybe I should be worried. thinking.gif

post #14556 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Sith

Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest;13928283 
Yeah that fan is a lil' out of my budget. So you're saying go with the single led fan? You said "R4" and as far as I can tell they are both labeled R4 fans with different specs.

Well, speedfan seems to think my cpu is -60C, so maybe I should be worried. thinking.gif

Please do not get the R4 green fans. I've had the most horrid luck with them. Not only do they have pretty terrible static pressure compared to more expensive models but I've had three that I've bought start failing within a year (noisy, grinding bearings). I know a lot of people like em but they just never seemed to have worked for me.

cool.gifThe 24/7 Folders Clubcool.gif
The Lanyards! - Forum Folding War Team
Steam Username=[OCN] Klue22
My computer is so fast it can calculate an infinite loop in 9.392 seconds.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  2 Billion Folding Points  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #14557 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klue22;13928447 
Please do not get the R4 green fans. I've had the most horrid luck with them. Not only do they have pretty terrible static pressure compared to more expensive models but I've had three that I've bought start failing within a year (noisy, grinding bearings). I know a lot of people like em but they just never seemed to have worked for me.

Lovely. I don't particularly like the glow in the dark, masterchief-laser-of-death fans much anyway. Would the 4 pack be alright or is there another fan under $15 that you'd recommend? Also, does the 200mm fan exhibit the same problems as the 120mm?

post #14558 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Sith

Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest;13928477 
Lovely. I don't particularly like the glow in the dark, masterchief-laser-of-death fans much anyway. Would the 4 pack be alright or is there another fan under $15 that you'd recommend? Also, does the 200mm fan exhibit the same problems as the 120mm?

I've never had a problem with the 200mm fans myself. Do the fans have to be 25mm thick or can they be 38mm? If you can stand 28 you may want to check out the Scythe Ultra Kaze Series.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-Low-1000rpm-pr-3938.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-Medium-2000rpm-pr-3939.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-High-pr-3940.html
Jab-tech also has really good deals on fans, so I usually recommend that people look there first.

cool.gifThe 24/7 Folders Clubcool.gif
The Lanyards! - Forum Folding War Team
Steam Username=[OCN] Klue22
My computer is so fast it can calculate an infinite loop in 9.392 seconds.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  2 Billion Folding Points  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #14559 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest;13928283 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klue22;13928447 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klue22;13928541 
I've never had a problem with the 200mm fans myself. Do the fans have to be 25mm thick or can they be 38mm? If you can stand 28 you may want to check out the Scythe Ultra Kaze Series.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-Low-1000rpm-pr-3938.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-Medium-2000rpm-pr-3939.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-High-pr-3940.html
Jab-tech also has really good deals on fans, so I usually recommend that people look there first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest;13928477 
I'm going to let you and Klue discuss the merits of which fans to get.
With all the different brands, and the fact that any given fan can be liked by one guy and not liked by another guy. It can become like a discussion of whether to go with AMD or Nvidia for a video card:doh:

Regarding your bizarre cpu temps., have you tried using RealTemp to measure your cpu temperature?
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
It's a free utility that works well, well at least for me it does:rolleyes:

post #14560 of 23573 Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerComissar;13929181 
I'm going to let you and Klue discuss the merits of which fans to get.
With all the different brands, and the fact that any given fan can be liked by one guy and not liked by another guy. It can become like a discussion of whether to go with AMD or Nvidia for a video card:doh:

Regarding your bizarre cpu temps., have you tried using RealTemp to measure your cpu temperature?
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
It's a free utility that works well, well at least for me it does:rolleyes:

I'm fine with CM fans as long as they work. My cpu temp in asus software (came on my mobo disc) sensor monitor gives me a reading of about 32C idle, so I'm not worried. GOing to be dling more software for monitoring though.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page