1.3ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
What?

Kinetic Molecular Theory. If you've ever taking a science class you would know that increasing the pressure decreases molecular motion, thereby decreasing kinetic energy and temperature.

You don't even need to know that. If you've ever used compressed air you would know that the canister can get very cold, because its compressed.
dude its the other way round! compressed gas canisters are only cold when u let the gas out and they get cold because they absorb latent heat energy surrounding the canister, the absorbed energy is required to increase the kinetic energy of the previously compressed gas molecules and thus allow them to 'vibrate' faster and in turn occupy a larger volume.
bk8509a likes this.

22114 3DMark06

Quadcore At 4.0GHz cool.gif

camera.gifOfficial OCN Camera Clubcamera.gif

Nikon D700 | NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8 | NIKKOR 105mm Macro VR f/2.8 |SB-900 Speedlight|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Game Programmer

Liked: 829
Pressurizing your case? lmao, are you serious. I have a better idea, and much safer: Water cooling.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #93 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
333mhz

Liked: 2
Hard drives would completely fail as you said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
HEY, PAUL

Liked: 1389
Have you got more money than sense? Because if so go for it!

post #95 of 103 Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 20
I'd just like to reiterate the absurd thickness the case would need to be. At the lab I work at we do testing under pressurized conditions, and the highest we go with our pressures is 500psi. To withstand 500psi, the cylinders we conduct the tests in are 1" thick aluminum. Obviously aluminum isn't as strong as steel, but the case would still need to be absurdly thick.

Beyond the dangers of the high pressure, the biggest issue has already been explained. If you want to simply pressurize the case once and then leave it, you won't have any way of exchanging heat with the outside of your sealed system.
low strife likes this.

post #96 of 103 Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 AM
what love?

Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypip666 View Post
I'd just like to reiterate the absurd thickness the case would need to be. At the lab I work at we do testing under pressurized conditions, and the highest we go with our pressures is 500psi. To withstand 500psi, the cylinders we conduct the tests in are 1" thick aluminum. Obviously aluminum isn't as strong as steel, but the case would still need to be absurdly thick.

Beyond the dangers of the high pressure, the biggest issue has already been explained. If you want to simply pressurize the case once and then leave it, you won't have any way of exchanging heat with the outside of your sealed system.

Wow, very nice. + rep

post #97 of 103 Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
2.4ghz

Liked: 44
How long can a heatpipe be and still work?

You could build a pressure vessel outside the case for a heatsink. Rather than pressurizing the entire case, just pressurize the important cooling bits.

Blame not on malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
HDD Shock test... FAILED

post #98 of 103 Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 56
to all the <10-word-post haters:

It appears you have tried or calculated the OP's idea already, and failed, because no reasonable human being capable of intelligent thought would write off another's idea without of failure. Oh, and documented it too. Link?

The sub-forum is called "Cooling Experiments", not "Cooling Experiments: Come crush my ideas to feel better about yourself"

/rant on idiots
RaBidRaBit likes this.

sigh. personality this. coolsmiley.pngbusinesssmiley.pngboxing3.gif
win thread 1

win thread 2

~ WC Loop 0: GTZ > MCW60r2 > EKNB5 > T > D5 > PA120.3 ~

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #99 of 103 Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 274
ok... lets say the side of your case is 48x48", so that's 2304 sq. inches, when 2000 psi is applied to this, you get 4.6 million pounds of force. That's 33 abrams tanks trying to break out of your case. I wouldn't be surprised if a) you blow yourself up, were you to attempt it and b) the fibre circuit boards actually get crushed by it.

And i'm a paintballer, and have seen the effects of our highly-engineered fibre wrapped tanks going off, and considering the largest tanks are 90 cu. in, and your case is a whle lot larger than that, I can just say it will be a very big boom. Also, we use CO2 tanks, when the tank is filled, it changes the co2 to liquid state, and gets warm. When it is depressurised (by shooting) it gets cold till it freezes the internals of your gun. It does not give off or absorb heat while just sitting there. Since all energy is neither created or destroyed, it is also impossible for it to do so.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #100 of 103 Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 119
Am I missing something major? It seems like adding pressure would make it hotter...
Check it out, using basic thermo (which I slept through most of so feel free to correct me):
Pressure*Volume = Molesofgas(R=constant) T
Therefore:
T=PV/nR, so to decrease temperature, one would want to decrease hte pressure.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page