EK-Predator Club & Discussion Thread - Page 180 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1791 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Stupid question and maybe already asked before. I am considering adding both my 980 Ti classified cards to the EK Predator 360. I know typically a 120 mm per component rule applies but would adding 2 cards be too much for the setup? I already have one of my classifieds under water with an H55/G10 setup hitting no more than 55 C with max load. My bottom card is still on air and can be easily added to the 360 rad. My issue is that with max load (Real bench) my Predator is showing about high 60s/low 70s across all 6 cores for the CPU. Adding 2 cards may push everything in the 80 C territory?

Good idea, bad idea? Also how will the connections work? Predator male to classified female. Classified male to Classified female and then Classified male to predator female? I won't be adding a bridge or anything, just using the pre-filled blocks? Will this setup be good and will it work or should I be content with only one block on the Predator? How much and what would I need to add one of the 120 mm rads in the same loop (can someone list components for me - with ekwb links - since I am a complete nub in water cooling). Thanks in advance (if no response then maybe will create a separate thread). Pretty sure the info will help people here.

Cliffs.

- Can I add 2 classifieds and a 5930K (all heavily overclocked) to a single predator 360? What kind of temps can I expect?
- If the 360 cannot handle this much load then how can I add another 120 mm rad into the mix (will I need reservoir, second pump, will I need separate fittings etc etc.; I don't have a clue).

PC: Intel i7 5930K @ 4.6 Gigawatts | Asus X99 Deluxe | ASUS STRIX 1080 Ti @ 2050/12100 | ASUS PG279Q WQHD 165 Hz IPS | Samsung EVO 850 1 TB SSD | Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD | Samsung 830 256 GB SSD | WD 1TB 64 MB Black | WD 500 GB 16 MB | WD 250 GB 16 MB | Seagate 80 GB 8 MB | Corsair Dominator16 GB DDR4 2666 | Pioneer Blu Ray Burner | EVGA Supernova 1300W G2 | Corsair 760T Graphite | EK Predator 360 | Logitech G502 | Logitech 710+ Mechanical | Sennheiser HD598SE | JBL Charge 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1792 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 01:39 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post

Stupid question and maybe already asked before. I am considering adding both my 980 Ti classified cards to the EK Predator 360. I know typically a 120 mm per component rule applies but would adding 2 cards be too much for the setup? I already have one of my classifieds under water with an H55/G10 setup hitting no more than 55 C with max load. My bottom card is still on air and can be easily added to the 360 rad. My issue is that with max load (Real bench) my Predator is showing about high 60s/low 70s across all 6 cores for the CPU. Adding 2 cards may push everything in the 80 C territory?

Good idea, bad idea? Also how will the connections work? Predator male to classified female. Classified male to Classified female and then Classified male to predator female? I won't be adding a bridge or anything, just using the pre-filled blocks? Will this setup be good and will it work or should I be content with only one block on the Predator? How much and what would I need to add one of the 120 mm rads in the same loop (can someone list components for me - with ekwb links - since I am a complete nub in water cooling). Thanks in advance (if no response then maybe will create a separate thread). Pretty sure the info will help people here.

Cliffs.

- Can I add 2 classifieds and a 5930K (all heavily overclocked) to a single predator 360? What kind of temps can I expect?
- If the 360 cannot handle this much load then how can I add another 120 mm rad into the mix (will I need reservoir, second pump, will I need separate fittings etc etc.; I don't have a clue).

A rule of thumb is, for every unit a 120m rad is needed. and then add another 120mm if overclocking. with this kind of setup you would need 720mm of rad space for your 3 components to run quiet and cool and the same time. using less radiator space will ramp up your fans and gives you higher temps and noise.

I myself go with 140mm per unit, and 280mm when overclocking. its nice to overclock and keeping noise and temps down at the same time. Its nice beeing as close to ambient temps possible when gaming. Also increase lifespan of items, wich really dosent matter at the end of the day.
post #1793 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixall View Post

My case came in today... biggrin.gif

I'll post some updated pictures once I get the Predator mounted in the front.

I do have a quick question for EK though... When I pick up the QDC kit for my exisiting waterblock, should I also pick up some Ekoolant Evo... Or would it be alright to just top the loop off with some distilled water?

*edit
The Predator 360 MOST DEFINITELY fits in the front of the Phanteks Evolv Atx, it's very tight though (you just barely have enough room for the USB/sound cable up top). On another note... Swapping the fans from pull to push is a pain in the ass and involves losing the fancy wire management. I'm waiting until my Titan X comes in before I install everything else, but here's a quick pic.

IMG_0418_zpsun2ozghs.jpg

Is there still enough room to fit a 3.5" drive on the bottom with the purchasable bracket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1794 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfline View Post

I guess it's because that kit is $400, then I would have to buy another thin 360 rad or drop down to the L series. Even if I get a cheaper kit, once you go down the custom loop route, it becomes easier to spend more and more.

Also, getting a kit means getting an actual custom loop, which means it comes with all the headaches/maintenance of a custom loop. What was it? Every 6 months I need to take apart the cooling system and flush/refill? Even the 3 year flush/refill on the Predators is pushing it. I bought a Corsair AIO many years back (windows xp box), added some noctua pwm fans for quiet performance and aside from dust, needed zero maintenance. Still runs great. So from that perspective, a kit is not that attractive.
I'm guessing, If you fiddle with your AIO then you should also consider its maintenance. The difference between AIOs and custom (generally) is that one is factory sealed and the other is not.

post #1795 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 34
The Predator is a PE radiator already.

Custom kits are not a headache one bit considering you have the ease of a reservoir vs having to pull a entire radiator out for filling/draining/bleeding. And 1 year recommended flush with Ek Koolant. Every 6 months is using distilled water only.

post #1796 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 06:25 AM
EKWB Forum Support Representative

Liked: 279
Quote:

For those that own the 240 or 360, and by looking at the product, is it possible to replace the rad for a thinner one (for example, PE to SE), so that it's not that thick? It's hard to figure out by just the picture, but can the outer bottom shell/casing be removed (or maybe flipped) to have just a thin rad + fan and the pump+res sticking out a little at the bottom. Long screws would hold to top of case? Or is it a "very hard to change stuff around" setup?

Quote:

I guess it's because that kit is $400, then I would have to buy another thin 360 rad or drop down to the L series. Even if I get a cheaper kit, once you go down the custom loop route, it becomes easier to spend more and more.

Also, getting a kit means getting an actual custom loop, which means it comes with all the headaches/maintenance of a custom loop. What was it? Every 6 months I need to take apart the cooling system and flush/refill? Even the 3 year flush/refill on the Predators is pushing it. I bought a Corsair AIO many years back (windows xp box), added some noctua pwm fans for quiet performance and aside from dust, needed zero maintenance. Still runs great. So from that perspective, a kit is not that attractive.

Even if it was possible, you wouldn't gain any space since the thickest thing would still be the DDC pump being on it's side.

Also again, if it was possible, by switching the radiator of the AIO would turn the maintenance level to the same as a custom loop.

The no maintenance for a period of 3 to 5 years only applies on an untouched or unmodified Predator. Adding a prefilled GPU block via QDC on a Predator 360 doesn't count as a modification.
post #1797 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post

Even if it was possible, you wouldn't gain any space since the thickest thing would still be the DDC pump being on it's side.

Also again, if it was possible, by switching the radiator of the AIO would turn the maintenance level to the same as a custom loop.

The no maintenance for a period of 3 to 5 years only applies on an untouched or unmodified Predator. Adding a prefilled GPU block via QDC on a Predator 360 doesn't count as a modification.

Are you saying that once a refill is done (touched) after 3 years on the Predator, I need to refill it again, but now the cycle is every 6 months or so?

As for the thickness, you're going from 38mm to 26mm, so yes, there would be a significant gain in space. The pump protruding out is not a concern because it's only a small part that is thick.

post #1798 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy View Post

The only concern is the pump. It's quite weak at 6 max wattage allowance. It's design to pretty much just barely pass the 1gpm needs as most efficient setups prefer atleast 1gpm.
Second concern is this pump can only achieve 1gpm at max rpm(3k) with no head/pressure restrictions. Add a cpu block 1psi drop. Add a gpu block 1psi drop. Tapped out as it only has a 1.6m head(5.2ft) 2.2516psi) tolerance. I would only mount this AIO in a top location to relieve the workload for that little guy. Maybe Monday morning EK can deny or confirm these numbers, but they come straight from their manual except the psi calculation.

Yeah that's what I meant. The Predator 360 will be mounted at the top. If it doesn't fit in the C70, I also have a corsair 750D.
To be clear, I'll have the Predator 360 cooling my 4790K and my 980Ti with its prefilled block. Should I be concerned by anything or am I good to go ?

Build log : Hécate Mk I
post #1799 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ckdot View Post

Yeah that's what I meant. The Predator 360 will be mounted at the top. If it doesn't fit in the C70, I also have a corsair 750D.
To be clear, I'll have the Predator 360 cooling my 4790K and my 980Ti with its prefilled block. Should I be concerned by anything or am I good to go ?
I'm fairly sure you'll be absolutely fine.

| Intel i5-4690K 4.5GHz 1.28 Volts | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | Sapphire 380X Nitro | G Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 16GB | 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB | Western Digital Black 4TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 750W | Fractal Design Define R5 | BenQ Zowie XL2430 | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Zowie EC2-A | Zowie G-SR | Philips Fidelio X2 | Audio Technica AT-2020 | Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 |
post #1800 of 7201 Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 22
Quote:

Are you saying that once a refill is done (touched) after 3 years on the Predator, I need to refill it again, but now the cycle is every 6 months or so?

As for the thickness, you're going from 38mm to 26mm, so yes, there would be a significant gain in space. The pump protruding out is not a concern because it's only a small part that is thick.
Where did you get every 6 months from? Most coolants from EK don't need to be replaced for at least a year. And it's not possible to change the radiator and if you were to go as far as replacing the rad on a predator for a thinner one then you might as well by a kit.

| Intel i5-4690K 4.5GHz 1.28 Volts | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | Sapphire 380X Nitro | G Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 16GB | 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB | Western Digital Black 4TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 750W | Fractal Design Define R5 | BenQ Zowie XL2430 | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Zowie EC2-A | Zowie G-SR | Philips Fidelio X2 | Audio Technica AT-2020 | Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 |

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page