The Swap Meet Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: What should the range of possible credits be?
No max 22 44.90%
Maximum about 5 22 44.90%
Maximum 1 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 79 Old 07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Networking Nut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm glad I found this, I've got plenty of stuff that I don't need (and I would think most people who upgrade their machines often do too), but some of it, like the fans and heatsinks are such low value items they generally aren't worth putting up on eBay, but I'd hate to just throw them out so the items pile up.

I think word needs to get out about it though. I only found out about this because I was bored and decided to see what kind of things people were selling, guying and giving away. Some more specifics on handling transactions can't hurt either.

I like the idea of a wanted list, For my part I could use some new speakers. Mine are falling apart, but I always seem to prioritize something else over them, and I need a fan splitter or controller to get all my fans spinning since the one built into my case burnt out. Frys doesn't have what I am looking for and it's not worth it to me to get one or two small items like that off newegg.

I do have a question, though.
Why are you wanting a signature on delivery? By nature aren't these supposed to be cheap items in the first place? I usually only ask for a signature for items that cost a few hundred dollars. Besides that, I was going to ship using flat rate envelopes, and according the the USPS website, signature confirmation costs as much as the shipping label itself. $10 to ship some fans or a heatsink seems excessive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 101
Quote:
While I would like for this to open to all members, if you have NO trader rating and have been a member of the site for less than 3 months or have less than 20 rep, you will not receive credits until after your offered item(s) has shipped. Everyone else receives credits as soon as they offer an item, under the assumption they will ship when the time comes.
How would this work on someone offers an item, claims an item then after a period of time they unload their stuff elsewhere. That would basically put them negative on credits.

post #43 of 79 Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Mess with the goat, get the horns

Liked: 1027
Send a message via MSN to xd_1771 Send a message via Skype™ to xd_1771
Just a heads up on some rule changes that plan to be made and will take place in the next few days or week. One may notice that some changes in the spreadsheet have been made to more easily accommodate this. This is what I am proposing based on input:
  • All item submissions will be handled via a submission form, to a separate and private submission spreadsheet. A post in the thread regarding what you are submitting will also be required. All submissions will pass through the panel of managers and for credit valuing, before being posted in the main table. A notification will be posted in the thread by the managers when items are finalized and added to the Swap Meet claim table, or rejected.
  • A reference sheet for item valuing will be created, used, and be viewable by the public. Values will be based on the submissions entered at the Swap Meet Discussion Thread. Items will only be revalued if absolutely necessary (i.e. cables) and steps will be taken to ensure that user experience on the Swap Meet is not bothered as a result of revaluing.
  • A picture/scanning of the post office receipt will be required with all transactions or no credits will be awarded to the receiver for the item, and the transaction is void as a Swap Meet transaction.
  • Receiver of a certain item will be up to the sender. In case multiple claims are made, it is the discretion of the sender as to who gets the item. Any way to choose will be allowed - whether this is randomize, first-come-first-serve, or given to the person with the most need. It will be recommended that choice of how to make discretion on who gets the item depends on the amount of claims made over a certain period of time.
  • For shipping and cost-effectiveness reasons, certain items will no longer be allowed on The Swap Meet. This includes: large-sized cases, full systems, items deemed too old to be useful (i.e. SIMMs - SDRAM and above will be allowed - or old hardware that is not compatible with running modern operating systems, i.e. those before Windows 95 or different architecture such as older PowerPC implementations)
  • To comply with OCN marketplace rules, the 20 rep limit concerning when usable credits are awarded will be raised to 35 rep. The 3 month limit and no trader rating limit will be removed as a compromise, as that limitation has little to no use and may serve as a disadvantage to reputable people on other forum sites. If you have less than 35 rep, credits usable for claiming will be awarded only when the receiver actually receives the item and makes a post on the thread concerning having received it.
  • Amount of credits you have available to use will be reduced over time until the receiver gets the item. Credits will be awarded back in full when the receiver gets the item. This will impose a limitation on making claims until items sent have been safely received. The amount of credits lost in a certain amount of time is to be decided at a later date, pending further discussion.
  • If through over-claiming and credit reduction your credit value drops below zero and into the negatives, you will not be able to use the Swap Meet again to claim items, until you post other items that exceed the credit value that you have lost, or your credits are awarded back in full after the person receiving gets your item. This is the only penalty. Exceptions will be made during item revaluing; credit count will be reset to zero in such case.

These new rules or rule changes are meant to solve issues with the existing system, and will come into effect pending discussion between me and TriBeCa, as well as between me and other OCN staff. I intend to get this done before the summer ends which will have an effect on my activity on this site. The new rules are open to discussion on this thread.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 79 Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Liked: 117
I read through the changes n really like them and where you wanna go with the swap meet I especially like the submiton forms and public credits reference sheet have you considered perhaps having a reply system for the submission forms so that people know there stuff is up and don't have to ask about it?

Also have you considered not allowing items to be claimed untill there posted on the spread sheet? With the new system this might help with people's transactions being missed and would make it easier for everyone to see the items that are available without having to go back several pages

- A+ Certification Links/Study guide - Network+ Certification Links/Study Guide
"Why is it 'marketing' when a company helps itself to my information against my will and 'piracy' or 'industrial espionage' if I helped myself to THEIR information against their will ?"

1090T 4214mhz proof.gif - Athlon 445 x3 4320MHz proof.gif FX 8150 6403mhz proof.gif
post #45 of 79 Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 AM

Additional discussion between me and racer86 has been ongoing concerning how the Swap Meet could be managed. Anyone else may feel free to join the discussion.

I was thinking it may be better instead to privatize the item submission form completely and disallow members posting their items in the thread, in favour of having the the managing staff being in charge of announcing what would be placed on the Swap Meet and by who. This is meant mainly to solve a key problem of items being claimed before they are valued (causing confusion and conflict), while still allowing for easy management. Although it introduces another key issue of management gaining a potential advantage of being able to claim the item before anyone else, this would be addressed with the new rule of having the sender decide who gets the item, based on any method of choosing. A time limit of how many claims can be placed in a certain time would be up to the sender (i.e. he can choose a certain point in time when there would be no more claims allowed) and/or enforced as a rule, starting from when the first claim is made.

An example of the "managers update users" scenario:
Quote:
Spreadsheet updated
- User polar is placing up a Phenom x4 9750 (3 credits) and an ASUS HD 4850 note: no cooling (1 credit)
- User xd_1771 is placing up a GeForce 7300GS video card (1 credit)
For more information, please refer to the spreadsheet on the first post of the thread.

If any of us happen to be too lazy to post what individual items are being offered (or simply have no time), we can just say something like this:
Quote:
Spreadsheet updated
Users polar and xd_1771 have posted new (insert categories here) items
Members would refer to the spreadsheets themselves (as items are listed by category, and by date of posting within the categories) to see the new items.

Basically the system would work like:
Member submits item to separate, private submission spreadsheet/form** -> managers review -> mangers update spreadsheet with credit value (minimal work done) -> managers announce in thread -> Claiming allowed then only.
** - new fields in the submission form would allow the member to submit notes and links to pictures on external image hosting sites such as uploadscreenshot.com

As opposed to the initial proposed system:
Member announce in thread what item they are putting up, in addition to spreadsheet submission -> managers update spreadsheet with credit value -> managers announce credit value in thread -> When to claim cannot really be enforced.

As opposed to the current system:
Member announces in thread what item they are putting up -> Managers add item to spreadsheet manually with credit value -> Claiming is done as soon as the item is placed up**
** This was more easily possible with the 1 credit/0.5 credit/0.25 credit system and when the Swap Meet was smaller, but not anymore as it is evident that larger credit values are becoming needed due to the popularity of more valuable items

It would result in no less work for us managers or them posters, result in everything being more streamlined due to less interfering posts in the thread, and a much cleaner thread in the end. All members would have to be sure about their submission before submitting (averting possible "take-backs" with submission).

All submissions would however still have to go through managers, which means some regular activity may be involved. This can be made up for with larger manager staff (there is me and you and one other person aside from you confirming interest so far; I may have another member of the OCN staff who mods the freebies section involved. dlee7283 is also apparently allowed to edit the spreadsheet - this may have been allowed back when TriBeCa was manager).

I have also received a reply from TriBeCa via e-mail concerning the Swap Meet; he is very happy that this is being considered somewhat more seriously as an "extension" of the OCN marketplace on a no-cash basis.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart
post #46 of 79 Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 AM

Liked: 36
The only thing I'm not too happy with, is that before, I fitted into the rep requirements, and now, I don't. Obviously, that can't be helped due to OCN Marketplace regulations though.

Cameras: Sony A200 w/ Sony 18-70mm, Sigma DG 70-300mm, Sony 50mm f1.8, Panasonic Lumix TZ35
Other: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (black), 4th gen iPod touch (white 64GB), iPhone 5S (black 32GB), 4th gen iPad (white 64GB)
2004 Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique | 2010 15" MacBook Pro (for work)

post #47 of 79 Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM

The new rep rule is not into place yet but will be coming into effect over the following days. The rules exist for the safety of everyone using the Swap Meet. You are only 6 away from getting there though. smile.gif

I would like to host a referendum soon concerning what items can/should be allowed on the Swap Meet and what not. I was initially planning to disallow extremely large items (i.e. cases), however if anyone feels that the trading of cases on the swap meet can be feasible despite shipping cost, (perhaps in a certain area only, such as where most OCN members come from in North America?) please post if you think so. Certain items deemed too old to be useful will still not be allowed at all - including SIMMs, hardware compatible only with OS before Windows 95, hardware not compatible with Mac OS 9 or later, or hardware not compatible with any OS the majority of us use whatsoever.

post #48 of 79 Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 AM

I think it would be a good idea to disallow just plain old cases (like stock Dell, HP, that sort of thing), but allow proper cases such as, for example, a HAF, or Antec 300 or something like that.

So proper PC cases, like ones you would buy from Newegg or Ebuyer, should be allowed, and prebuilts, such as OEM Dell, HP, should be disallowed (is it bad that I couldn't think of any PC manufacturers apart from Dell and HP?)

Another thing is monitors. I know no-ones put one up yet, but perhaps we could allow LCDs and not CRTs on? (If an FW900 or something of a similar quality came along, we could always make an exception)

Cameras: Sony A200 w/ Sony 18-70mm, Sigma DG 70-300mm, Sony 50mm f1.8, Panasonic Lumix TZ35
Other: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (black), 4th gen iPod touch (white 64GB), iPhone 5S (black 32GB), 4th gen iPad (white 64GB)

post #49 of 79 Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 AM

^ I disagree.... any case could be useful, even cases from prebuilts.
Monitors you have a good point, it would be definitely hard to allow CRTs here.

post #50 of 79 Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;14748372 
^ I disagree.... any case could be useful, even cases from prebuilts.
Monitors you have a good point, it would be definitely hard to allow CRTs here.

Perhaps we should only allow certain types of cases.

No bigger than ATX, must take a standard PSU (chances of an SFF case being given away are slim), must take standard motherboard sizes.

Perhaps, for larger items, we could request a rough domestic shipping quote to be supplied with the item. If people post larger items and aren't in the US, a shipping quote to the US should be provided in addition.

i.e. if you posted a case, you'd provide a Canada and a US shipping rate with it. If I posted a case, I'd provide a UK and US shipping rate. If someone in the US posted a case they would provide just a US shipping rate.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page