Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
eek.gif So many new posts! applaud.gif

Let's see if I can answer all of them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW;13588067 
I once had a pentium 3 at 800mhz core speed in an old acer travlemate 212T. Oldest CPU i have in the house is a single core 1.6ghz celeron single core. I once also had a P4 3.8Ghz HT. Not rare or unusual but it was an uncommon CPU at the time.

Hmmm, I guess the P4 3.8 Ghz was pretty rare. Those things were super expensive and were running on their thermal limits, unless you went with an aftermarket cooler. I read a review where they tested the 3.6 Ghz version, replaced the original thermal paste with some white silicon one and the chip started throttling under load. It really needed higher quality thermal paste, and ideally a better heatsink.

And then you also had the Gallatin Extreme Edition at 3.46 Ghz, which was as fast if not faster on the 775 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIPrice;13588081 
does the i7 975 count? wave2.gif

Well, I guess it might wink.gif I don't have any number on how well these sold. But considering most people bought the 920, and the 965 was the top model for a long time, the people with high-end rigs who wanted the best probably bought the 965 earlier anyway. So, unless someone provides some insight to the contrary, post your pics, and I'll add you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patawic;13588249 
i have some old intel celerons that use a Slot 1 or slot 2 socket. I dont know if they are unusual or not though.

Dig them up, snap a few pics and post them! Let's see what you've got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPie;13588259 
awesome thread is awesome.

Thanks! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot;13588271 
The cpu in the sig rig might count because it reports a 100 Mhz FSB when I can only find info on the 66 mhz fsb ones. (It is a system with a TDP of 10 watts)

Can you take a picture with your name next to it ? That would be awesome, and I'd add you to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3C14R;13588486 
Under Win XP, its terrible. Its like impossible to multitask, opening up a single window (My computer, My documents, Recycle bin, etc) makes the CPU usage spike up to 100% for a while.

But under Win 2000 it isn't all that bad, probably because it lacks all the eye candy and bloated services of XP.

A 600mhz Pentium 3 will still blow it out of the water though, regardless of what OS its running.

Thanks! I guess the best feature was it sipped power, isn't it ? Would make a good retro netbook chip to use with some light Linux distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku_ex;13588497 
As I can see you really do like intel, don't you? All pentium 4 chips were crap.

Your generalization is wrong. Yes, the Willamette was crap, mainly because it was built on the old 180nm process the Pentium 3 was built on, and Intel couldn't do what it wanted with the design. The Prescott was also a mistake in the sense there were too many pipelines and it bewilders me that they hadn't realized there was a Mhz wall at around 4 Ghz with the tech at that time, so it would not scale almost at all.

The Northwood however was a very good chip. It was manufactured with 130nm tech, doubled the L2 cache amount, and introduced Hyperthreading.

Just for reference, when people say the Pentium 4 used too much power, bear in mind that a Pentium 4 Northwood, 2.8 Ghz, 512k L2 cache with HT and an 800Mhz FSB had almost the same TDP (69w) as a Pentium 4 Willamette, 1.7 Ghz, with 256Kb of L2 cache and 400 Mhz FSB (68w). Incidentally, a 65w TDP CPU is nowadays considered normal. And 95w CPU's, along with 125w and 130w are also common today. The difference is that there weren't the power saving features in the chips there are today and the heatsinks were not as well efficiently designed as they are today.

Also, the Northwoods were better than the Athlon XP CPU's AMD was releasing back then. The Northwoods were released in late 2001, and Intel won the performance race with AMD from then until late 2003, when AMD released the Athlon 64. That's 2 years of performance reign.

So, no, not all Pentium 4 chips were crap. The Northwood and Gallatin (Northwood with 2MB of L3 cache) P4's were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool;13588523 
NoGuru has an E8700

I've seen him around the forum ninja.gif

I think I'll tell him to come here wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool;13588700 
P4 FTW
5661MHzP4.jpg
okay, I confess, that was actually a sensor bug.

Here is another P4 oc:
4GHzP4.jpg

I know that this particular cpu isn't considered "rare", but I thought I would share against some of the hate.

Can you please remove the WHITE color from your post (like I just did)? OCN Mods don't like it because google can blacklist OCN from their search results because of hidden text. And that ends up being bad for us all. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot;13588836 
I have a couple of CPUs that never had a lot of success (one of them has 5 submissions on HWBot.org).

The first, and the one I love the most, is my beloved Opteron 1214 core Santa Ana, socket AM2, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz stock speed. The most power hungry version, 103W TDP. Those were almost never used, the HE variant (65W TDP) was much more common.

The other one is an Athlon XP 1600+ core Thunderbird, boasting an astonishing clock speed of 1.4GHz. That thing was the real s**t back on the day.

I don't know how rare it is, but I have a socket 370 Pentium III core Coppermine boasting 1GHz. Jesus, it was DAMN fast when I bought it. Three years after I got the XP 1600+ that ran the first Halo with a GeForce 2... Med settings, 800x600, at above 30 FPS.

Will post pics when I have the occasion (the Opteron is running, the Pentium is somehow in a box, and so is the Athlon).

Is that Opteron rare ? I don't know much about them. If more people say it is, I'll add it (post pics /CPU-Z validation)

As Princess Garnet said concerning the P3 1Ghz, the speed itself is not very rare. I also have one. I have the 26w TDP, when there are others that have a 29w TDP. But I don't even know if that distinction makes it qualify as a rare chip. If someone knows, please do share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom;13588918 
Here one I have had for years a Cyrix Cx 486 DX2 66, look at those gold pins.biggrin.gif

Nice, but although it's from a small manufacturer, I doubt it was rare, as the 486 DX2 was the most popular CPU from the early nineties, and Intel, AMD and Cyrix (along with IBM branded ones I think) made those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1b4ll;13589039 
haha what a cool thread! I don't have anything nowadays but this makes me remember my Pentium Pro 150, mine was the only one I ever saw as most sold went straight to the 166. Also a dual (DUAL!) socket Pentium 3 system with the somewhat rare 667mhz chips. Ahhh, good times.

Thanks! The Pentium Pro was definitely somewhat rare, especially in the consumer space, as it wasn't optimized to run 16 bit code, which was still prevalent at the time, along with the price tag, as the chip was huge and not very cheap to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht;13590619 
I'm rebenching my Via C3 1.2ghz chip on phase, but it has a cold boot bug. I'm going to have to run it on a waterchiller to get any successful bench runs out of it. However, I did successfully get it to 1.78ghz, which is a LOT better than my world record cpu-z hwbot submission of 1.43ghz

1.2 Ghz to 1.78 Ghz, now that is some nice overclock!

Speaking of VIA, I wish VIA just dropped the VIA name from their CPU's and brought the Cyrix brand back. Cyrix sounds soooo much better! Of course, at the same time they'd have to bring to market something worthy of the name too wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfxvoodoo;13591970 
I all so have an 66mgz pent

Post pics! I guess we can consider those unusual, as they ran hot, were expensive, not much faster (if at all - speaking of integer performance, of course) than a 486DX4, and had the FDIV bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punker;13592791 
Pentium 1 key chain Promo item smile.gif
Pentium 60 or 66 MHz processor based die.
Now that's a genuine Intel Pentium key chain.

it uses the Subset logo (The original "Intel Inside" logo.)and not the main logo
People need to stop making counterfeit ones

s4025326.jpg

eek.gif Wow! Nice find! That alone is probably a rare item! Never seen one of those before!

Is that a real CPU die in the keychain ? If it is, I'll add you to the list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenolak;13594506 
p4ee.jpg
This baby needs some TLC, after a year of being stacked away, ... didn't think it was so dusty inside the case when i stopped using it! Even the bios had forgotten the time and had to reset to defaults. Never been OC'd as the mobo (p4p800-mx) is limited. Used as my daily room pc till just almost a year ago after, a solid 5-6 years.

eek.gifthumb.gifcheers.gif

I'll add you to the list! Very nice! Can you provide a CPU-Z validation link ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenolak;13594556 
Plenty of buyers. No one's willing to cough up the asking price though ( $200 ) which is understandable. Replacing it would be near impossible, which is the only reason I justify the high tag.

Going to look at the tandy's later today sometime. No clue what to expect from them. Haven't touched 'em since I got them.

Yep, almost no one is willing to cough up that price. Especially since the 3.2 Ghz goes by around half. I don't even have an 875P chipset based motherboard worthy of that chip. I would feel embarrassed to put such a mighty chip in an 848P, single channel DDR motherboard.

But I'll tell you something: if I win the lottery, I might buy one wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent;13594624 
I have a Pentinum 4 2.8GHz 400 MHz FSB in my Dell Dimension 4300s (it came with a Pentinum 4 1.4 GHz) This 2.8 is the fastest cpu the mobo will take. I really did not consider it rare (cost me 30.00 on ebay), but if you say so I am in.I tried to make a Netflixs machine out of it but came up a bit short (still stutters a bit and Netflixs says they can see the cpu is running at 92%, strange how they can tell every rig you are running). I use it as a web server but would like to get two 512mb RAM sticks and use it as an Untangle box.

Post pics or CPU-Z validation so I can add you!

What is also probably holding you back is the fact you are probably using a PC133 RAM chipset based motherboard (likely the Intel 845), that will bottleneck the system in many tasks too. But to handle 720p flash you really need a 3Ghz, or preferably a 3.2 or 3.4, all with 800Mhz FSB, HT, and DDR 400 RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk;13597261 
I will post back some time later-this thread got me thinking of the old systems in my basement-my first computer was a k-6 II 450, wich i still have laying around-plus i have other intel and amds down there-besides my own-my sisters company upgraded all there computers about 4 years ago-she asked me if i wanted to look i said why not see whats left-i went there and it was you have to be kidding-a hallway was lined with like 50 computers-she said take all you want-everyone is scaving them-lol-they were all k-6II 450-500 and intel pentium II,s, mobos-ram-drives you name it-i will look and post later on what is collecting dust yet.

So, you got to collect a lot of parts from those computers ? Let us know what you got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by punker;13597673 
Intel should stop using NetBurst microarchitecture then

Since they still use it in the Intel atom. all it is a update Pentium 4 that uses less power and more cores.

confused.gif

No, the Atom is an entirely new design. They designed it from scratch. The Atom is an in-order design, while the P4 is an out-of-order design. That is one of the ways they have so little power consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nburnes;13597722 
The one in my sig rig *might* be counted as rare/unusual.

You're right, it might. Do you know if many of those were sold ? Not exactly if they unlocked successfully, but general sales of that specific model based on the Barcelona core ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezone;13598896 
Sure wink.gif

QX9750 stock 3.1ghz (unlocked multi) 45nm
Socket 775
1600FSB

Thanks! Did you take a picture of it when you had it ? Or can you give me a site that provides more info on it ? I'm really curious and want to add it to the list of examples.

I'm finding it hard how that chip could exist. 3.1 Ghz with a 1600 FSB would give a 7.75 multiplier (7.75 x 400 = 3100 Mhz). If I'm not wrong that is impossible. Intel only has full or half multipliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 387 Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Overclocker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
I'm finding it hard how that chip could exist. 3.1 Ghz with a 1600 FSB would give a 7.75 multiplier (7.75 x 400 = 3100 Mhz). If I'm not wrong that is impossible. Intel only has full or half multipliers.
Based on a quick google it should be 3.2GHz, 1066FSB and socket 771. That's from some random person on tomshardware back in '09 though
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ne-rare-qx9750

Edit: Didn't read fully, further down it says it's 1333FSB, not 1066.

Q6600 @ 4.23GHz
Another Q6600 at 4.3GHz Batch 737B and stable at 3.6 at 1.28V, 3.72 at 1.328V. 3.9GHz at 1.48V.
470 max clock
**Official ASUS P45 Series Owners Club**
post #83 of 387 Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-IRL View Post
Based on a quick google it should be 3.2GHz, 1066FSB and socket 771. That's from some random person on tomshardware back in '09 though
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ne-rare-qx9750

Edit: Didn't read fully, further down it says it's 1333FSB, not 1066.
Hmm, I had read that thread, but it still doesn't make sense.

3200 Mhz with a 1333 FSB means a 9.6 multiplier, which is impossible. For it to be real it has to be a 3.16 Ghz CPU (9.5x multiplier), just like the Core 2 Duo E8500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Liked: 128
@tpi
I think that was the most weighting I have ever seen in a post tongue.gif

Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Look at it this way, opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one, and they all stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle382 go_quote.gif

very pretty, love the dual frozxorz also.
Very pretty!? We're not describing women here, it's a computer! biggrin.gif
Exactly! It's down right sexy!
post #85 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Spartan 117

Liked: 929
BNIB since 1999

212008d1306162994-rare-unusual-cpu-club-dscn0545.jpg

212009d1306162994-rare-unusual-cpu-club-dscn0546.jpg
post #86 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007;13600454 
eek.gif So many new posts! applaud.gif
eek.gifthumb.gifcheers.gif

I'll add you to the list! Very nice! Can you provide a CPU-Z validation link ?

Yep, almost no one is willing to cough up that price. Especially since the 3.2 Ghz goes by around half. I don't even have an 875P chipset based motherboard worthy of that chip. I would feel embarrassed to put such a mighty chip in an 848P, single channel DDR motherboard.

But I'll tell you something: if I win the lottery, I might buy one wink.gif
Can't blame anyone not wanting to buy it. Can't blame myself for not really wanting to sell it! Newer version of cpuz shows the logo for the newer ones but o well.

1833097.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka go_quote.gif
Imagine accelerating a decent sized dog to Mach 8
post #87 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 123
wish i could find these... but they are some old ones i used to have. Thats a 939 amd, which isnt that old...

S4021970.JPG

here are the only ones i could find

DSC00890.JPG

Back: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/745905/CPU/DSC00891.JPG

i think this is a thunderbird right? but some of the numbers dont match up

DSC00892.JPG

Back: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/745905/CPU/DSC00893.JPG

post #88 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to Hyoketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikem;13607358 
i think this is a thunderbird right? but some of the numbers dont match up

DSC00892.JPG

That wad of leftover thermal paste is a nice touch biggrin.gif Sure looks like a thunderbird. They ought to make stock chips look like this biggrin.gif

post #89 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by punker;13597673 
Intel should stop using NetBurst microarchitecture then

Since they still use it in the Intel atom. all it is a update Pentium 4 that uses less power and more cores.
I don't think Atom is Netburst. Wikipedia says it uses something called the Bonnell microarchitecture. I can't see it being Netburst, so I'm sure they have stopped using it. Atom isn't a Pentium 4 update. It is a new and low power/small/low performance CPU. The Pentium 4's "update" was it's replacement, the Core 2 on the desktop front.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
post #90 of 387 Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Stickler for details

Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet;13610813 
The Pentium 4's "update" was it's replacement, the Core 2 on the desktop front.

The Pentium 4 never got an update - Core draws its roots from the Pentium 3 (via the Pentium M).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevieweevie go_quote.gif
I just learned that <3 is a heart!!! I didn't know. It looked me like a nutsack or something...
F@H Quotes (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juano go_quote.gif
Nope z, beast is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
I lied about stuff to make me sound more awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725 go_quote.gif
smile.gif it's fine. as long as you fold for OCN it doesn't matter how stupid you are. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page