Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi guys,

Just finished my build (a build log is on its way), everything went extremely smooth (it's my first build) but a small problem annoys me.
A quick list of my parts : Msi Mpower, i7 3770K, 8GB RAM 1600, GTX 770, 750W, Samsung 840, etc.
I am using Windows 7 and disabled the splash screen (also that does not make a single difference).

And I have a small yet annoying problem, also this problem was present in my older rig at times if I remember correctly.

During boot my screen goes to sleep after seeing the bios and only turns back on once I hear windows's startup sound,
So from bios / spalsh screen to login my monitor goes to sleep. Any idea what the problem might be ?

My monitor is a 3 to 4 year old 2209WA from Dell, working truly fine (except for a black shadow on the far right of it but not that's not a problem).

1) I have no other monitors to test my setup on, I am planning on buying 2 in August, a 2713HM and a VG248QE.
2) I have enabled the Fast Boost option in my motherboards settings (a MSI Mpower Z77).
3) I have disabled the Windows splash screen also that does not make a difference.
4) My power settings are set to High Performance and the screen to never be turned off.
5) Aside from this problem the screen and system works just fine.
6) My entry source is manually set to DVI-D.

If anybody could help, that'd be extremely nice.
Also feel free to answer if you have the same problem.

Edit #1 : Just tried with the splash screen on, it does not change the problem, the screen goes to sleep right after the splash screen and turns back on only once windows startup sound is made and I'm at login screen.

Self-learning implies a fresh, eager mind - a mind that is not committed,
a mind that does not belong to anything, that is not limited to any particular field.
It is only such a mind that learns

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Liked: 128
Some screens you can change the sleep time. OR even disable sleep in the monitor on screen display settings.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

I do not seem to have this option on this display, I just performed a reset of all the monitors values, I'll reboot and let you know if something has changed.

Edit : Well, nothing changed, the problem is still here.

a mind that does not belong to anything, that is not limited to any particular field.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Liked: 154
Send a message via Yahoo to kill Send a message via Skype™ to kill
My monitor does this too but only for like 15-30 seconds
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 PM

How about instead of using "auto select DVI" try manually picking DVI input in the Monitors settings
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNOE View Post

How about instead of using "auto select DVI" try manually picking DVI input in the Monitors settings

Already done :/.
And when I try to click on the display menu while it's in sleep mode during boot phase it says there is apparently no signal coming from my computer. It may be a problem with my graphic card ? Also it is running great so far.

I'll try without a password and with Fast Boost disabled to see if it changes anything.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnz View Post

Already done :/.
And when I try to click on the display menu while it's in sleep mode during boot phase it says there is apparently no signal coming from my computer. It may be a problem with my graphic card ? Also it is running great so far.

I'll try without a password and with Fast Boost disabled to see if it changes anything.

Its kind of normal that GPU turns on and off during boot none of the settings in windows will help you. Its just your monitor sleeps when there is no signal which is normal for that monitor.
Only thing you can do to change it is get a new monitor. Since that monitor is ancient it might be time for something 1080p or 1440p anyway.

You can change computers and even change all your settings it will still give you that problem for as long as you have that monitor. The only reason you noticing it more now is the new computer takes longer to initialize components while the GPU is off, than the old one did.

So either live with it or think about getting a new monitor.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNOE View Post

Its kind of normal that GPU turns on and off during boot none of the settings in windows will help you. Its just your monitor sleeps when there is no signal which is normal for that monitor.
Only thing you can do to change it is get a new monitor. Since that monitor is ancient it might be time for something 1080p or 1440p anyway.

You can change computers and even change all your settings it will still give you that problem for as long as you have that monitor. The only reason you noticing it more now is the new computer takes longer to initialize components while the GPU is off, than the old one did.

So either live with it or think about getting a new monitor.

Well, I was already planning on getting new monitors, planning to give this one to my gf and to get a 2713HM and a VG248QE.
But the thing is that if I'm noticing it right now it is simply because I have a SSD, and having the monitor turns off then back on seems like it's slowing my boot time.. Basically, without this problem I would jump straight to bios to login screen and therefore achieve a boot time of less than 7 seconds, it seems ridiculous but it is unpleasant, believe me.

Thank you for your help anyway !

Final edit : The problem does not seem to appear on cold start, only on a restart.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page