Is there really any reason to buy expensive processors ? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Depends on what you're into.

I really enjoy editing video and doing 3D renders (as a hobby), both of which are very CPU heavy. Even with my 4.5ghz i7, I've had to leave my computer rendering for several DAYS straight to get a project done. If I could rationalize buying one of those $1000+ Intel CPUs (with 8 cores, 16 threads, etc.), I would. However, I don't like spending tons of money....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Case Modder

Liked: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to oldcompgeek
Dang, you really are someone that requires a bunch of power!! I just dusted off an old rig of parts that were in a box in the closet just to see if it would function as a bedroom HTPC,,,

PC Chips A13+ mobo ( AM2+)
Athlon 64 X2 5800+ dual core
NVIDIA Quatro FX video card
2x2gb of mushkin 800

None of this crap was together before, it just came from old upgrades for people or trades, etc... Well, I'm online using it now, running win 7 64 bit, and playing one of my favorite NASA videos on Nero 10 MediaHub... BUTTT I wouldn't even attempt to startup Nero Vision to convert and burn a movie nor AVS to convert any videos either as I am sure that I wouldn't be watching the show anymore. I think that a decent sata 2 ssd would help zip it up though. I was considering pairing it with a better storage system and video card to see if I could finagle a light gaming system out of it and donate it to a younger relative...??
post #23 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 AM
333mhz

Liked: 21

Max headroom.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page