What's the big difference between AMD/ATI and Nvidia GPUs??? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIICRASHIIIII View Post

Obviously, you guys are Nvidia fans but I see your points. Can we get some feedback from AMD/ATI users?

This is my 1st time using AMD/ATI and I do like the card for the price (since I was able to unlock my 6950 wink.gif) but at the end of the day, I will still say Nvidia is better. Do I plan to go back to Nvidia? No time soon. Besides being a gamer, I use Autocad, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Accurender and I can honestly say that my unlocked 6950 has been real nice to me...so far thinking.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post

This is my 1st time using AMD/ATI and I do like the card for the price (since I was able to unlock my 6950 wink.gif) but at the end of the day, I will still say Nvidia is better. Do I plan to go back to Nvidia? No time soon. Besides being a gamer, I use Autocad, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Accurender and I can honestly say that my unlocked 6950 has been real nice to me...so far thinking.gif

Keep me updated. I'd like to know if you ever run across any bottlenecks or mishaps with your 6950s. Seriously considering switching over to the dark side. lol
post #23 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 35
This is my first ATI card, and I have to say I'm really impressed. Every NVIDIA card I've ever had has run hotter than the sun, with really loud hairdryer fans that go along with that. I just figured it was part of the deal, that graphics cards just ran hot. This ATI card is more silent than my case fans, doesn't get hotter than 73 degrees, and runs games really nicely. I am now an ATI fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Mouse Aficionado

Liked: 313
They both have thier differences with strengths and weaknesses.

AMD has done better with multiple monitors. One card can render three monitors. Nvidia can only run two with one card.

Nvidia has done better with 3D Vision. On a hardware support level and hardware rendering.
Nvidia offers Cuda technology. (Useful in certain applications)
Nvidia offers 2.5GB & 3GB VRAM flavors.

AMD & Nvidia both offer 1GB & 2GB VRAM flavors.

Now to debunk some garbage propoganda.

"Nvidia runs hot" - SO? That's not stopped them from competitively performing. After two years they've proved that's a non-issue. GTX 400 series cards are an awesome price/performing card right now. The 500 series are even better now.

"AMD's drivers suck" - REALLY? Though Nvidia has a better history track record, it has driver issues too. Both have them and fix them with follow up drivers.

At the end of the day regardless of which you choose they both can accomplish the job. Each can game very well and do well in different games. They both have competive cards pit against each other that perform on par and very comparable.

I'm sure this thread will get ugly eventually, because what both have is some loyal fan bases. It's actually a good thing one doesn't succeed and monopolize the industry over the other. IF either would be the sole GPU company you can epxect HIGH pricing from the sole survior regardless of who it was. As consumers we got them right where we want them, competing for our money at lower priced offerings and constantly looking to improve.
Now to prepare

IIIIICRASHIIIII likes this.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM
333mhz

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute View Post

Nvidia cards cost more because they are better. Kind of like when you pay more for a Ferrari than a civic. biggrin.gif
No but seriously tho, from what I've seen, AMD cards run hotter, the performane sometimes is marginally higher than its Nvidia equlivelent and the support and drivers aren't near as polished, but the cards generally cost less. EVGA cards in particular are known for being rock solid, best card in the world IMO.

The only card I've ever had a problem with was an EVGA card tongue.gif

I don't see the point in paying extra for a 10 year warranty over a 3 year warranty either. I mean who keeps a graphics card longer than 3 years?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page