Dedicated Graphic Card, how to turn it on and off - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m trying to find a way to be able to turn my graphic card on and off without having to plug and unplug it from the mobo.
My H81M does not have a way to disable Pcie slots, but if I don’t plug the Pcie 6pin connectors into my R9 280, it is not even detected. so I came out whit an idea, if a run the 12 wires of the 2 6pin connectors through regular switches, I can "turn it off" at my desire, whit the pc turn off of course, and turn the pc on like it have no graphic card plugged.
I think that will work, but 12 switches are a LOT of switches, but, if i can join all the ground wires some point in the middle of de Pcie cord into a thicker wire, i can put only 1 switch in that big wire a cut the electrical circuit in that point and the split the big wire again before going into de power supply, getting the same result.
Do you think that will cause any problems???
Can it be done??
Any suggestions or other ways to do the same thing in other way??

there is a siple draw of the plan.
TY.

guettopciepowerconnectormod.jpg 66k .jpg file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Not just position, SUPERposition!

Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholtergate View Post

I’m trying to find a way to be able to turn my graphic card on and off without having to plug and unplug it from the mobo.
My H81M does not have a way to disable Pcie slots, but if I don’t plug the Pcie 6pin connectors into my R9 280, it is not even detected. so I came out whit an idea, if a run the 12 wires of the 2 6pin connectors through regular switches, I can "turn it off" at my desire, whit the pc turn off of course, and turn the pc on like it have no graphic card plugged.
I think that will work, but 12 switches are a LOT of switches, but, if i can join all the ground wires some point in the middle of de Pcie cord into a thicker wire, i can put only 1 switch in that big wire a cut the electrical circuit in that point and the split the big wire again before going into de power supply, getting the same result.
Do you think that will cause any problems???
Can it be done??
Any suggestions or other ways to do the same thing in other way??

there is a siple draw of the plan.
TY.

guettopciepowerconnectormod.jpg 66k .jpg file
Take a thick wire connect that to 12V. Add in a switch connect the other side to all the 12V pins. Connect ground normally. If the switch is open there is no circle in which current can flow. (though the motherboard also supplies power and current will still flow trough the card so best is just remove the card)

Why do you want this anyway?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

So, if I have understood that correctly, u are suggesting to the same thing I propose but whit the 12v cables instead of the grounds right?
Or just one 12v cable from the power supply??
I’m don’t know how many power the power supply can provide trough only one 12v cable.
I thought that the 12v cables will bring more troubles than the grounds, whit voltage regulation or something (I’m a total noob in this) and the circle will be open anyway.
I’m not sure how the mobo will interact whit a “half” open circuit from the power supply. I only know that when the Pcie power cables are not plugged, the graphic card is not detected.

I have already build 1 switch system to turn off all the fans and noisy parts of my computer, the only thing left is the graphic card. I want to be able to turn my “gaming” pc into a completely silent “media center-web browser” machine using the integrated graphic card instead of the dedicated one.
And just for the fun tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:

So, if I have understood that correctly, u are suggesting to the same thing I propose but whit the 12v cables instead of the grounds right?
Or just one 12v cable from the power supply??
I’m don’t know how many power the power supply can provide trough only one 12v cable.
I thought that the 12v cables will bring more troubles than the grounds, whit voltage regulation or something (I’m a total noob in this) and the circle will be open anyway.
I’m not sure how the mobo will interact whit a “half” open circuit from the power supply. I only know that when the Pcie power cables are not plugged, the graphic card is not detected.

I have already build 1 switch system to turn off all the fans and noisy parts of my computer, the only thing left is the graphic card. I want to be able to turn my “gaming” pc into a completely silent “media center-web browser” machine using the integrated graphic card instead of the dedicated one.
And just for the fun tongue.gif

Yes it is a better choice to have the high potential part relative to ground rather than ground connected to the switch. This way current can flow from the pci-e slot 12V-5V-3.3V to ground but the 12V can never flow trough the card to the board's ground. More parallel wires means a lower overall resistance which is always nice to have but a thick wire could handle it just fine. The gpu itself is high impedance while the wire is low impedance. (resistance) Most will fall over the card next to nothing will fall over the wire.

I think it would be a better idea to build a passive heatsink or maybe invest in watercooling. You will always keep electrical noise even when there are no fans so getting it down to inaudible proves to be good enough for most people. What card do you have because software like MSI afterburner can be set up to reduce the fan speed to very very low levels. (basically inaudible for most cards)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have a R9 280, MSI can only turn the fans down to 20% minimun. I don't think a passive heatsink can handle this amount of heat when the card is under heavy load.
Watercolling this graphic its way to expensive for me to be worth, and this is more like a fun proyect than a usefull or practical thing to do. I know that the fans at 20% are not that loud, but i still just want to se if it can be done
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I have a R9 280, MSI can only turn the fans down to 20% minimun. I don't think a passive heatsink can handle this amount of heat when the card is under heavy load.
Watercolling this graphic its way to expensive for me to be worth, and this is more like a fun proyect than a usefull or practical thing to do. I know that the fans at 20% are not that loud, but i still just want to se if it can be done
May as well rewire the fan because a HD7950 with zero core idles at like 10-20W. If all other fans are off however meaning no airflow in a densely packed case even this could provide a problem. Though not very likely. But expect high idle temperatures in the 70 degrees range when you use no fan at all.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:47 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

What card do you have because software like MSI afterburner can be set up to reduce the fan speed to very very low levels. (basically inaudible for most cards)

I reckon this is a good option. If the fans on the 280x are running at a minimum they will be barely audible - underclock to achieve this possibly, if it's a media pc, ur playing video and that will easily wipe out the small amount of noise. Then have two case fans, silent ones like: http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan , one pulling air in and one pushing air out, or even just one pulling. Set these to minimum as well, just enough for some air flow, and they will also be extremely quiet.

i think with this setup you would not hear the pc over whatever media you are watching/listening to, and all you would need to do is run your underclocking profile in msi afterburner to achieve silence. (use a program or a fan controller to drop your case fans to min speed.

But hey, if you want to chop up some cables and install switches then go for it, but you would need to power down, which could be an inconvenience at times.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Why would someone wire up a switch? especially with grounds being switched instead of power? If anything you would do damage. Even though your videocard has a separate power plug, it is still drawing some power from the motherboard slot. If you cut grounds, it would severely overpower the grounds through the slot and burn something up.

Configure your monitor plugged into the rear I/O header as primary, and go to device manager and disable the PCI-E card if you want it off.

Then windows will tell card to shut off, and boom, card doesnt do anything anymore. Simply sits there in a sleep state until you re-nable it for whatever reason.

I wonder why this is even wanted in the first place. you can pretty much turn fan down to 20% or lowest setting allowed (some are limited to 30% lowest) and you wont be able to hear that fan.

My 5770 is notorious for being noisy, and I cannot hear it with default settings at idle, 35% fan.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM

I have searched all over the internet for how to disable the discrete GPU and it seems I found an answer here. Great! :-)

Why I would want to do it? Because I want to turn my coming gaming PC to an HTPC whenever I watch movies.
Why, you might ask again. Well, because it seems like Nvidia (and AMD for that matter) will not output the refresh rate 23.976 Hz which is the standard for BlueRay movies, but the Intehl HD Graphics from Haswell on is able to do it! This way you can watch an entire movie without irritating frame drops that otherwise happens once every few minutes :-)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page