Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 256 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry, wrong thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Liked: 0
phenomenal guide! freed up 16gb+ on my new system!!!! thumb.gif
post #2553 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosNir View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Yea, I moved it to its own thread lol. It is in the stickies in the main storage section.
Here is the link.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1227803/how-to-set-up-and-utilize-ram-disks

Thanks! I liked the old thread though, everything was all in one place smile.gif
Maybe you can place a link in the end of the guide? For the sake of other people who might look for it thumb.gif
now everything is in the stickies at the top of each section in the essentials thread.[/quote]

ill add the links when im home
Quote:
Quote:

This should work: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds/220#post_15563816
Basically run start up repair. Once you do the option will be in the BIOS to boot off of.

Sadly it didn't work for me. I had to reinstall Windows (I had to anyway, but oh well). When I tried to "Repair" the setup gave me an error saying it does not support the currently Installed Windows version/edition/something else. And yes, I used the same USB DOK that I used to install Windows previosly, and I booted both with "UEFI:xxxxx". wth.gif
idk
Quote:
Quote:

Any drive really, but mainly for large drives atm. I have mine set to GPT. When I reinstall next I am switching to MBR b/c I remember it booting faster.

I have wondered - have you confirmed that? If it does making booting significantly longer, I think I'll just stick to MBR. I'd like my booting faster, than my wake-from-sleep faster rolleyes.gif
it is like 1 second slower lol not significant at all
Quote:
And one last thing (Some posts from the very first pages):
Quote:

4096 is optimal for SSD's and newer HDD's, windows makes it 1024 default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

yes, the entire F3 series is 4K.

I have two Samsung HD103SJ's connected to my rig right now, and Parted Magic 6.7 reports both of them as being with sector size of 512 bytes. I also checked my Crucial M4 128GB and it is also 512 bytes. What's going on? eh-smiley.gif

Thanks again for your wonderful guide!
Sector size is not the same as the alignment. And the F3's & m4 do have 512 byte sectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppelepugh View Post

phenomenal guide! freed up 16gb+ on my new system!!!! thumb.gif

thanks

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 88
This guide is awesome!!! Thanks for all of the work.
post #2555 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:

Sector size is not the same as the alignment. And the F3's & m4 do have 512 byte sectors.

So Nocturin was wrong? What makes an SSD / HDD suitable for 4k alignment if not the sector size?
post #2556 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:

Quote:

So Nocturin was wrong? What makes an SSD / HDD suitable for 4k alignment if not the sector size?

Because of how SSD's perform their read/write operations. SSDs are erased in 4K blocks.

Like wise, it's somewhat of a standard that controller makers & drive makers adopted to keep things simple on system integrators.

Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #2557 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Commodore 64

I understand. How about the Samsung Spinpoint F3?
post #2558 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Apple Enthusiast

Liked: 153
Quote:

*checks resources*

*checks own H103SJ*

BRB folks.

edit: My rescources are dry, sorry guys. They removed everything I was looking for.

According to training, they are in fact 4K drives, but that could of been incorrect. le sigh frown.gif. WHY SEAGATE WHY>!>!>!???

edit edit: can't find anything @ seagate's samsung portal either. Time to scour my computer. le sigh.

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

post #2559 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Partition alignment:

It is best to use 4K (4096) alignment over 1K (default 1024) because of how SSD's perform their read/write operations. SSDs are erased in 4K blocks.

Like wise, it's somewhat of a standard that controller makers & drive makers adopted to keep things simple on system integrators.
Quote:

Well, it really doesn't matter for it b/c it is 512, 512 fits into 4k alignment fine, but it does matter for drives that are 4K sector.

Source
"The sector size increase, described by Advanced Format, occurs at the hard drive
media level. Host systems will continue to request and receive data from the hard Advanced Format 4K Sector drive in 512-byte sector sizes. However, the translation from 4096-byte sectors in the hard drive to the
512-byte sectors in the host will be managed in the hard drive. This process is called 512-byte emulation.
It’s important that every drive partition start with an LBA offset that is aligned to the drive’s physical
4K sector. If partitions are un-aligned, then hard drive performance will be degraded"

So if a person comes along and read this guide and has a 4k sector drive or a SSD it is best to use 4K offset because the physical sectors will be aligned properly with the logical sectors.

More here: http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/03/the-digital-den/4k-sector-hard-drive-primer/
http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/03/the-digital-den/4k-sector-hard-drive-primer/
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/?page=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

Quote:

*checks resources*

*checks own H103SJ*

BRB folks.

edit: My rescources are dry, sorry guys. They removed everything I was looking for.

According to training, they are in fact 4K drives, but that could of been incorrect. le sigh frown.gif. WHY SEAGATE WHY>!>!>!???

edit edit: can't find anything @ seagate's samsung portal either. Time to scour my computer. le sigh.

http://www.dei.unipd.it/~bertasi/PAPERS/samsung.pdf

They are 512 byte per sector

Quote:

! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #2560 of 5386 Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Apple Enthusiast

Liked: 153
I'm so proud of you Mr. Webster thumb.gif.

How did you find that sheet you linked me to?

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page