Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 32 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #311 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
- Sarcasm - Just One Of My Many Talents

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Here's some interesting info. Sean had asked about a RAID installation guide. not quite ready to write one up yet, but some interesting stuff. The only thing I can glean from this at the moment, is never...never...NEVER...NEVER let windows do your partitioning for GPT on a RAID 0 Array. It does seem however, that window 7 install does do a good job at aligning partitions like Microsoft claims it will.

The benchmarks were run using 2 Corsair Performance 3, 128GB drives attached to an Intel P67; SATA 6gb/s ports.

I have a lot of these, as each install was done 5 times and the AS SSD benchmark was run immediately after a windows install. I noted no discernible difference between the benchmarks with the same type of install and stripe size. You will see the minimal (I believe a standard margin of error) variance between most of the benches, other than as noted on the GPT sequential write). The RAID was broken, and the drives secure erased with Parted magic between each install. For the Windows alignment, windows 7 was installed to a blank unallocated disk, and the install program handled the partitioning and formatting.

Look at the sequential writes on a GPT disk. This was consistant regardless of stripe size.

GPT Partitions RAID 0; 64K stripe:

Windows aligned

4096 aligned

MBR partition RAID 0; 128K stripe

This gets a little hairy, because a windows aligned drive consistently produced better results at all stripe sizes ranging from 8K to 128K (the Intel oprom max stripe size is 128K). I think the differences of windows alignment vs. manual alignment is substantial enough to call it outside the standard deviation, so I'm not convinced (at this point) that manual alignment is the way to go on a RAID 0 Array. More testing/ analysis is still needed.

Windows aligned

4096 aligned

8192 aligned

infected rat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 68
relink the pics.

post #313 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 68
so it looks like a MBR disk is better overall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #314 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Liked: 1656
SO this is or isn't windows aligned? I see it says 1024k, that usually is a manual alignment...

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)
post #315 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 127
Send a message via Skype™ to XSCounter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post
SO this is or isn't windows aligned? I see it says 1024k, that usually is a manual alignment...
Depends if he used it as OS drive.
Sean Webster likes this.

post #316 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSCounter View Post
Depends if he used it as OS drive.
i forgot

EDIT: BUT HE SAID THEY WERE DONE AFTER EACH INSTALL.

stupid caps lock lol

Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #317 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 56
Sean, thanks for the guide. I have most of this info scattered throughout lots of other guides I've found, but you've put it all together and added a thing or two.

One question, I'm just about to reinstall windows because of a motherboard and cpu upgrade. I'm looking at the alignment issue. I think I let Windows align it last time. I would like to try the 4096 alignment this time. However, I have another ssd and two mechanical hard drives in the system. Will those be OK? Or will they need realignment? Thanks, and +rep.
post #318 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by breenemeister View Post
Sean, thanks for the guide. I have most of this info scattered throughout lots of other guides I've found, but you've put it all together and added a thing or two.

One question, I'm just about to reinstall windows because of a motherboard and cpu upgrade. I'm looking at the alignment issue. I think I let Windows align it last time. I would like to try the 4096 alignment this time. However, I have another ssd and two mechanical hard drives in the system. Will those be OK? Or will they need realignment? Thanks, and +rep.
Thanks!

They will be fine, you don't need to align them.

Quote:

! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #319 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post
Thanks!

They will be fine, you don't need to align them.
Thanks for the quick reply, +rep. One more thing, I put my user profiles on another partition on a mechanical drive. I assume that's fine, too?
post #320 of 5386 Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by breenemeister View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, +rep. One more thing, I put my user profiles on another partition on a mechanical drive. I assume that's fine, too?
You can set it up how ever you want. I have my user folders like the pictures, documents, videos, and such on my mechanical drive.

If you followed the guide by another member on here to move the whole folder itself during install that is fine too. I prefer to have my appdata folder on the SSD though.

Quote:

! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page