Momentus XT 750GB for DATA only - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi all,

I'm using an OCZ Agility 3 120GB for Win7, now I need another disk for the data only, size around 1TB (2.5").
Do you think getting a Momentus XT 750GB is worth the cost or I won't see any difference in speed compared to a regular HDD? Even with a 5400rpm one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Overclocker in Training

I have a Momentus XT 500GB, I use it to store programs/ games and I feel like it does make a difference. However Ive been using it for a while so Im no to sure anymore. As for data (media files, documents, etc.) It probably works faster. What I can say for certain is that I replaced my PS3's hard drive with this and it runs a hell of a lot faster. I would recommend getting one.

A Member Of The OCN Anime/Manga Club

Phone: OnePlus One 16GB
Headphones: Sony MDR-ZX100 | Sennheiser HD 558
Camera: Canon Powershot S3 IS 6MP
post #3 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi kishagi,

Thx for your input.
From what I understand about Momentus/hybrid disks, they use the small 'SSD' part to store the more often used files.
So it sounds logical that it will help improve speed with OS files, programs or games, but for data only I am still doubtfull. Of course I have data that I need frequently and maybe those will be read faster, but for all the others only requested once?

Do you know what is stored in the PS3 disk? Only data or also some parts of the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Storage Nut

Liked: 1075
It seems unlikely to me that a Momentus XT would perform faster than a good 7200RPM desktop drive if you're not taking advantage of its NAND cache for anything. The sequential speeds are approximately 60% as fast as a good 7200RPM desktop drive, and access times are higher. The NAND cache is definitely useful for repeat-usage, but if you're just looking up files at random (and never the same ones), then sequential speeds and lower access times are going to help more. You'll also pay less for more capacity with a 3.5" drive.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Liked: 661
The advantages come in for people, like myself, who are limited on space for hard drives in their case, but don't want to sacrifice speed. Two of the 750GB drives require only one bay, and in RAID0 you get a total of 16GB SLC NAND and 1.5TB mechanical storage, with speeds of around 240-260MB/sec sequential. The doubling of the NAND actually makes it far more useful, and I would definitely recommend using 2 in RAID0.

However, I am waiting for the WD Blacks that were announced: 9.5mm drives, 7200rpm, 500GB/1TB, and 24GB SLC NAND per drive. You can be sure that I will be adding 2-4 to my computer!

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I should have mentionned it earlier, I am stuck with a 2.5" drive with almost no room left in my modded Sugo SG05 case.
From what I see there is no 2.5" 7200rpm drive around 1TB.

Moments XT 750GB has been ordered, as lons as a 2.5" WD Green 2TB 5400rpm.
WD green will go into an HTPC later, and the Momentus into a netbook if I am not happy with it.

I am going to check if one is working faster in daily use, maybe the difference will be obvious...
Do you see another way to find the faster one?
Infos from a software like 'ATTO Disk Benchmark performance measurement tool'?
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM

Liked: 0
I just picked one of these:
Hitachi GST Travelstar 0S03563 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

It says it's sata II but it's actually sata III.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page