[Fixed] Windows disk check / repair run on an old external w/ bad sectors - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Windows check disk was run on an old 1TB external drive with a bunch of old data, and a lot of bad sectors were found. Before I read that running disk repair is bad for such a situation, I ran it, and it paused in the middle, saying that the repair found more bad sectors, and it needed to run again. After that, the external is not popping up on auto-play, and disk properties are all messed up. HD Tune Pro still shows the full 1TB disk with a few red squares for bad sectors, so I know the disk is not dead, but I'm thinking the boot partition got corrupted or some such. Basically I get prompted eventually to format the drive before using it.

It happened to this drive before, maybe a year ago, and we left it alone for a while. The boot partition somehow reformed itself while it was laying around, because we were recently able to use the drive again without any issues. I just happened to check its condition with HD Tune Pro today and found that it had lots of bad sectors.

Any suggestions on how to recover the boot partition / make the data visible again to copy it off before the disk dies?

Would it help to remove the drive from its enclosure (it's a Cavalry external) and plug it in directly into my computer as a secondary drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've fixed it. Connected the external through eSATA, and Windows8 ran a check/repair after reboot successfully. So I'd recommend for similar cases trying to plug in a hard drive from an external enclosure (if out of warranty or don't care about warranty) into the computer through SATA directly or eSATA if available on the enclosure.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

P.S.: rolleyes.gif

What a sad error count frown.gif And it keeps going up every time I turn on the external drive and do anything with it =/ Grew by a few dozens just today. Hopefully it's the drive going bad and not the external enclosure having anything to do with it (it wouldn't, right? Cavalry CAXM3701T0)

At least everything is backed up now. Not sure what to do with this disk, if it's salvageable or should be scrapped.

Full error scan chokes up, and the quick one shows this, before HD Tune promptly crashes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM
for life.

Liked: 395
What drive is inside?

EDIT: Looking at the SMART data, guess its a WD.

A certain batch of WD Blue (640GB and 1TB) were extremely failure prone. Guess you got one of the shot ones.

Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #5 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

It's a Hitachi, actually. HDT721010SLA360 (1TB). I've looked for a firmware update, but have not found any (apparently those are not easy to get). Contacted HGST with an e-mail asking if there's anything I could do, like an RMA, but preparing for the worst.

(The drive is perfectly accessible, just seems to be going downhill rapidly)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page