Which HDD should I choose? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My old drive started failing, so I've been reading about hard drives quite a bit, unfortunately I was unable to choose one. My budget's up to ~$120-130.

I'm gonna use it for everything - OS(-es actually), gaming, video editing, video recording, etc.. The other drive I have is too slow to be used properly, so basically I'm looking for an overall replacement. I'm thinking about 1-2Tb.

I love it when my software starts quickly, so that's my main priority - smoothly running/starting-up software. But I bet I'd get that with any newer hard drive (the rest of the hardware is recently bought, high quality parts), the difference is just how much faster one drive would be than the other.

So here's what I've found out:

* Most Seagate drives come with some sort of an annoying chirping noise that comes out every time the drive seeks data. That probably be bad, since I've an old case that's not too good at isolating the noise coming out of it, I can hear my 16dB cooler for example, and the case is stuffed under the table. They seem to fail quite a bit too, and I've no nerve to hassle with the horrible warranty services over here.

* Caviar Black may be a good choice, but it's slow. Yet faster than Green or Blue drives, but still slow compared quite a few other choices.

* VelociRaptor's great, but very costly - ~$130-140 for 500GB. I'd like a bit more space, as I'm tired of deleting one thing to be able to get another, basically having to switch between the software/games I want to have installed.

So, any suggestions are welcome. Not in the US, but most hard drives are available here. There's basic orientation price about the VelociRaptor (WD5000HHTZ) available, in case it's different from the US. Most prices are gonna have that approximate difference.

Ask any questions if that'll help you to help me to choose a drive.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 2
Haven't you considered an SSD + HDD setup?

"As above, so below. As within, so without."

post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreenRZ View Post

Haven't you considered an SSD + HDD setup?

That's even more costly, isn't it? And the rest of the applications that aren't on the SSD would be slow.

Just asking, I don't know the details, not arguing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 AM
Low expectations = Exceptional results

Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsta View Post

That's even more costly, isn't it? And the rest of the applications that aren't on the SSD would be slow.

Just asking, I don't know the details, not arguing.

Whats on the SSD is super fast, whats on the HDD is the basically same speed it is now.
OS and resource intensive programs traditionally go on the SSD and Games and such usually go on the HDD because the only real benefit to having them on the SSD is load times, which you usually only encounter when starting the game and loading a level.

If you want to go purley mechanical, and your budget is ~$130, I HIGHLY recommend a Seagate 7200.14.
If you can go with both you can do a lot worse than a decent 60GB SSD and a 500GB Data drive. That should be right around $130 if you shop smart.

drunken.gif Please follow the TOS and the Professionalism Intiative to help make OCN a better place!drunken.gif

Bring on the Heatstroke!

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #5 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 125
Get the WD Blue 1TB EZEX drives, WD's first consumer 1Tb platter drives.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Go hard or go home xD

Liked: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip94 View Post

this^ thumb.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #7 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

Whats on the SSD is super fast, whats on the HDD is the basically same speed it is now.
OS and resource intensive programs traditionally go on the SSD and Games and such usually go on the HDD because the only real benefit to having them on the SSD is load times, which you usually only encounter when starting the game and loading a level.

If you want to go purley mechanical, and your budget is ~$130, I HIGHLY recommend a Seagate 7200.14.
If you can go with both you can do a lot worse than a decent 60GB SSD and a 500GB Data drive. That should be right around $130 if you shop smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

this^ thumb.gif

Considering all of your suggestions...

...I think going an SSD + a WD10EZEX would be great then? Which SSD should I pick? Should be up to $50-60, a price to focus on is that the HDD mentioned costs $75 here.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 2
This model right here offers some serious performance for the money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226246

That's the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 60GB. That's definitely my recommendation. Even if it means stretching your budget a bit, it's totally worth it. The responsiveness of your operating system once it's installed on the SSD will startle you, I guarantee it smile.gif

"As above, so below. As within, so without."

post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 25
I have two 500 Blacks in raid 0.......... I'm happy. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 7
yeah, most mags and forums go with the wd black, not sure why you are avoiding it.

|CM HAF-X | i53570k| EVGA 770 GTX ACX | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | OCZVertex4 SSDOS |
| WD 1TB Caviar Black | Antec HC 850 | Creative Recon 3-D | Creative G500 5.1 THX | Logitech G100 |

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page