Have 3x3TB Toshiba drives. Should I raid 5? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I was earlier recommended to use raid 5. However, the write speeds are incredibly slow (30~40 mb/s) although I know that the array is probably rebuilding. I've been reading around that raid 5 is phased out, should I be worried? I literally just bought another toshiba drive today to get a raid 5 array, I don't really want to spend another 110 to get another drive for raid 1 + 0.

Is there a way to see the progress of the array rebuilding? Or should I look into a cheap raid card ~ 50 dollars. Or maybe run raid 0 with two of the drives and use the third along with another 4tb drive as a backup.

I have a z87 asrock extreme 6 board with a 4770k.

3x3TB Toshiba 7200rpm 64mb cache drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Liked: 661
Send a message via Yahoo to nleksan
RAID5 has too many things against it, especially with 3TB disks and especially with just 3 drives.

The best course of action would be, as you mentioned, getting a fourth disk and setting up RAID10. You get double the write speed, 3.5x or so the read speed, and at least equivalentffault tolerance but potentially more.
connectwise likes this.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Check out unRAID.

You get the same fault torence as RAID5 (1 drive can die and you will be fine) bit much more.
If a second drive dies before you can replace the first one you only lose the data on those drives rather than the full array. You can also mix and match with drive sizes (as long as you parity drive is as big or bigger than your largest data drive and you can expand it one drive at a time if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

The thing that sucks is that I have to still continue using windows, this isn't a dedicated file server. If my research serves me right, unraid is another os.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

RAID5 has too many things against it, especially with 3TB disks and especially with just 3 drives.

The best course of action would be, as you mentioned, getting a fourth disk and setting up RAID10. You get double the write speed, 3.5x or so the read speed, and at least equivalentffault tolerance but potentially more.

I guess the best course of action will be to go raid 0 with two drives for now and back the data up on the 3tb + 4tb drive. And then when the time comes, I'll get a 4th drive and it should be able to build a mirror of the raid 0 array on the other two drives right?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page