The debug-inator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucleinfinie View Post

"Acutally no," don't?

If so, how can I access this drive, then? I can format it afterwards.

Also, Ubuntu's file manager doesn't detect the drive at all. Gparted does, though. I guess I'll have to put that weird 1MB unpartitioned space back in for good measure, should i put the MSR back in with that command.

Also also, changed the name because it's more relevant, I've learned.

Yes you can create the MSR with the command but you have a problem: The volume you have the problem (according to your screenshot) is a dynamic disk. In order to create the MSR, the volume must be a basic disk. I take it you have had no luck converting it back to a basic disk?

You might be better off using a file recovery utility that can read the disk in RAW mode, process the NTFS file system and recover your data elsewhere. Then completely reformat the disk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM

Liked: 463
Try the software called "TestDisk". It's a strange text mode program and is terrible to use, but it can do something that might help you. It can search the drive for the data structures of the NTFS file system, then create a partition table out of where it thinks partitions were on the disk.

Its website has an example run of the program with explanations of what you should press at each point. You have to look at that. The program can't be used without reading up, is really pretty terrible in that regard.

The search TestDisk wanted to do took forever for me when I had a problem, so I couldn't let it run through completely, had to cancel it. That still worked to find the partition that was originally on the drive, probably because searching around at the start of the HDD was enough to find the NTFS stuff of the first partition.

EDIT: You should better do what tompsonn says if there's something important on that drive, find a program that can search for the NTFS file system and recover things. If that TestDisk writes something to the drive, it might just break more of it.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

I take it you have had no luck converting it back to a basic disk?

Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

You might be better off using a file recovery utility that can read the disk in RAW mode, process the NTFS file system and recover your data elsewhere. Then completely reformat the disk.

That's what I thought. Recuva is not enough. I'm trying a program called iCare Data Recovery right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15 of 16 Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 AM

Liked: 0
You only need to recover the partition ...not files.
That would be your best option.

I think we are all finding out about GPT disks.

Also, the MSR partition is hidden and does not appear in Disk management of Windows 8 and Windows 10.
So it behaves like a rootkit in that respect...

There is no real justifiable reason to have a MSR partition if your disk is formatted with MBR and you are happy with those specs for when running Windows 7..
MSR is not the EFI system partition which is shown in Disk Management.

I have noticed the MSR being forced onto people and their hardware with an update of the UEFI BIOS for certain machines.
The impact was not immediately felt and it was like a timebomb.
With windows 7, prior to UEFI, the MSR partition wasn't created and the OS ran well.

As mentioned, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It seemed OK at first ......
But like a timebomb....It destroyed my computer after I updated the BIOS and after Microsoft issued the Creators update for Windows 10.(October 2017)
When My computer was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it did not contain a MSR partition at all and my disks adhered to MBR. It worked well at first.
My OS was trashed when they issued the Creators update and applied the update automatically even though I had updates set to prompt before applying..

They don't technically need MSR for certain machines and hardware.
They don't need to hide it either from the OS either.

You only discover the insidious part when you goto Rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 7 from an image.
Disk image recovery doesn't necessarily work with your archived known good images and the former partition table.... but it should.rolleyes.gif

I should clarify the paragraph above.
The image restore to the hard disk worked and the OS booted.
However, the OS no longer worked correctly and was unstable. We are talking a clean base install of the OS..
The current UEFI BIOS update does not play nice with the former Windows 7.
Note. Windows 7 failed to install seamlessly at first from known good install media.

...been working on a BIOS rollback now!

post #16 of 16 Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Liked: 0
Would something like MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.x be helpful here? I ask because the thread is mostly above my pay grade.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page