First time OS transfer - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hey guys this is the first time I have every had to take my boot drive and move it to another drive. How difficult is this? Moving from my current Samsung 840 EVO 250GB to a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. Just would like to make sure I go about it the most painless way possible with out losing all of my information. Is this something that the Samsung Migration tool will do for me, or should I be looking at another option? Thanks for all your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Liked: 161
Last time i did almost the same transfer i used windows backup. Zero problems whatsoever. I will also say that it was very easy to do correctly as well.

Edited because of edited profanity. Lame

post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegan View Post

Last time i did almost the same transfer i used windows backup. Zero problems whatsoever. I will also say that it was very easy to do correctly as well.

Awesome, good to know I will check into that this evening when I hook up this new drive!!

On another note, is there away to make both these SSDs run in a RAID 0 or do they have to be the exact same drives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Programmer

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockinWV View Post

Awesome, good to know I will check into that this evening when I hook up this new drive!!

On another note, is there away to make both these SSDs run in a RAID 0 or do they have to be the exact same drives?
You can run them in RAID0, but a couple things to know:

1. You'd be limited to two drives of the size of the smallest drive in the RAID, so in your case 250GB per drive for a total of 500GB, not the 762GB you'd get just running them as their own drives.
2. RAID0, while providing faster i/o speeds doesn't actually provide any redundancy. If one drives goes, you lose all the info on both. In essence it's not actually RAID (Redundant array of inexpensive disks), more just an AID (array of inexpensive disks). It's also much more difficult to recover data in the result of a failure due to striping of data between disks.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockinWV View Post

Hey guys this is the first time I have every had to take my boot drive and move it to another drive. How difficult is this? Moving from my current Samsung 840 EVO 250GB to a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. Just would like to make sure I go about it the most painless way possible with out losing all of my information. Is this something that the Samsung Migration tool will do for me, or should I be looking at another option? Thanks for all your help!!

If you want to literally carbon copy your partitions over to the new one, then expand them fill up the empty space, look up the dd command with a linux distro.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19141/clone-a-hard-drive-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page