SSD in NAS? Reliability & Performance - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My WD NAS with two WD Red HDD's gets pretty slow transfer speeds when doing two things at once like copying a HD video to NAS & a whole bunch of smaller files like pics & songs. The speed drops down to around 25MB/s with the video.

Would SSD improve on this alot?

Over a 1GB network adapter, I get usually 55-85MB write speed for 1 HD video at a time, How much faster would SSD go?

How much more longevity & reliability would a SSD drives be? My guess is maybe not a whole lot as the drives are still exposed to the same AC from the wall through small brick adapter. If usb HDD drives are any indication, SSD even though it's bottlenecked would still be a far better choice.

My current storage space is running out if I'm going to buy another NAS, id prefer it to be SSD if there are significant benefits.

thanks

There is nothing special about PC Gaming, it's just Dignity. But consoles are Poverty - a toyota corolla marketed as a Porsche.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 AM
Networking Nut

Liked: 46
over a 1 gigabit adapter you can expect to reach around 800 mbps average, divided by 8 (bit conversion to bytes) you'll max out around 100 MB/s. so unless you upgrade your network to 10gig, or maybe dual 1gig with some hardware that supports link aggregation, it probably isn't worth your while. (keep in mind 10gig requires 10gig ports between all devices that need that speed, and upgraded ethernet to cat6 cabling i believe)

the reliability would increase imo though, i recommend samsung 850 evo or pro drives.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 AM

Liked: 33
Honestly SSD in small NAS make no sense whatsoever. Because of 1G network cable/transmission limitations you'll never break any transfer records. SSD is very good idea with DAS (take your pick TB or USB3/3.1) or drive pool as you will get really nice performance boost.

Unless you're ready to splash on a full 10G setup don't expect any miracles performance wise on 1G. Sure SSD caching may (very vague) improve performance with small files, but still bottleneck is neither HDD (yay for that!) or SSD but lousy network cable/protocol. Pretty much end of story.

I don't know if you really need NAS functionality, but most folks don't just buying NASes because everybody else does without thinking about it. They would be much better with DAS box than NAS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 613
post #5 of 5 Old 07-26-2016, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsylon View Post

Honestly SSD in small NAS make no sense whatsoever. Because of 1G network cable/transmission limitations you'll never break any transfer records. SSD is very good idea with DAS (take your pick TB or USB3/3.1) or drive pool as you will get really nice performance boost.

Unless you're ready to splash on a full 10G setup don't expect any miracles performance wise on 1G. Sure SSD caching may (very vague) improve performance with small files, but still bottleneck is neither HDD (yay for that!) or SSD but lousy network cable/protocol. Pretty much end of story.

I don't know if you really need NAS functionality, but most folks don't just buying NASes because everybody else does without thinking about it. They would be much better with DAS box than NAS.

I brought a NAS because after I had troubles with external HDD some said get the NAS like it was soo much better. Honestly my external USB 3 HDD in a small cheap proper enclosure runs as cool as my NAS, gets the same transfer speeds pretty much. Minus all the network clutter.

I'd like to get a simple DAS with SSD's that connects by good old USB 3, but will multi copy speeds be alot better over my current situation?

thansk

There is nothing special about PC Gaming, it's just Dignity. But consoles are Poverty - a toyota corolla marketed as a Porsche.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page