WD Blue vs Green vs Red vs Purple? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've got a WD Green already, but might be getting a Purple because the price is good.

Can I use a WD purple as a regular desktop HDD or put it in my home server? I've looked on userbenchmark and it says it gets about 150MB tops for both read and right, but my WD Green is only 100MB~ both, which I'm fine with. It's only really gotta fill a gigabit speed. But even then, this drive is more for temp cheap storage. Will find out if I need to expand much more then 1TB.

Thanks,
Higgins909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 241
when I bought my array, I opted to pay extra for the reds. they ran super cool and I've never had an issue with speed on 300/300

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Chimp Challenge Participant  150 Million Folding Points  Overclock.net 10 Year Member  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #3 of 4 Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 514
The WD Purples are designed for surveillance use only and do not have any error correction to avoid loosing a video feed. If you try to use it for data storage, you run the chance of loosing or corrupting some data. Using it in a server is pretty much guarantees the RAID will break.

The WD Reds are intended for use in RAIDs. The regular Reds don't get the best reviews. The Red Pros are better but cost more.

The 5400rpm Blues are much better suited for regular data storage than the Purples and Reds. Before I went all SSD, I used them (and their predecessors, the Greens) for backup drives. Since my desktop machine runs 24/7, I preferred to use the WD blacks for their more robust construction and the five year warranty. However, for temporary storage, the Blue would be your best choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 1
Ended up buying a Seagate 2tb BarraCuda, early May. Can't remember why I chose it, but it was probably because it was the cheapest under a certain price. Hopefully it will hold me off for a good while and I can look into killing off some of my IDE drives.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page